Author Topic: Metatrader 4 and Bitshares  (Read 20156 times)

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
To me it makes so much sense and is not very hard.. The api integration shouldnt be too bad, the risk reward is massive and to me makes sense to go for it for bts team.. But i dont think they will understand like us ever since they domt have time to go use it for a few weeks to judge themselves.

To be fair it IS hard to do: You have to decode their proprietary protocol, create a bridge server into the bitshares wallet, have the core bitshares team add the missing order types and then somehow get metatrader the company to be ok with the idea.

edit: the rewards would be huge, though.
Its not trivial if i made it sound like that but its alot easier problem then the ones they have already solved in crypto. I think there are also examples of bridges already done that perhaps somehow can be shared or metatrader can shed light on.  Its api work ontop of a few commands.. And since its a standardized api it makes sense to figure out and integrate into a real trading engine instead of guessing what type of trading the world wants.

Agree... We know what traders want and what they use, let's not try to reinvent the wheel.

What I don't get about this forum is how people say we should ask traders what they want and emulate that.  We (me since I have been trading currencies for 9 years and trade with a large group of people, also I assume jsidhu is a trader) tell them exactly what they need to do to attract traders... Then the non traders here read it and say "nah that's to complicated. Let's make it like polo. That's what traders will want!".

It's like I'm talking to a wall... Why do u guys ask for opinions, when you have no intention of utilizing them?  We are never going to reach total consensus on a interface, so just provide the tools to 3rd parties so they can create their own.

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
To me it makes so much sense and is not very hard.. The api integration shouldnt be too bad, the risk reward is massive and to me makes sense to go for it for bts team.. But i dont think they will understand like us ever since they domt have time to go use it for a few weeks to judge themselves.

To be fair it IS hard to do: You have to decode their proprietary protocol, create a bridge server into the bitshares wallet, have the core bitshares team add the missing order types and then somehow get metatrader the company to be ok with the idea.

Its not trivial if i made it sound like that but its alot easier problem then the ones they have already solved in crypto. I think there are also examples of bridges already done that perhaps somehow can be shared or metatrader can shed light on.  Its api work ontop of a few commands.. And since its a standardized api it makes sense to figure out and integrate into a real trading engine instead of guessing what type of trading the world wants.
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline monsterer

« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 04:04:11 pm by monsterer »
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
I think the people mentioning other interfaces/sites and GUIs do not understand the importance of the massive community which MT4 has, along with huge library of trading bots. Just think of the liquidity it would bring.

What we need to know is what % of current crypto traders use/are familiar with MT4 and see if it's worth it.

We are trying to grow the pie... For this reason we need to focus on fx traders.  Tapping into just a tiny % of that market will be much more lucrative than catering to crypto primarily.  Plus 95% of crypto traders don't have any professional trading experience.

Of course we are. But you can't, imo, realistically expect those same experienced traders to jump in like that to a platform that not even the crypto community uses and has no liquidity. That would be the best but I'm sure it won't happen. It needs to happen in baby steps, a gradual process, you get the older holders to start trading, then some other crypto traders to join as well as some bots, then maybe those experienced people will start looking into this.

Just because you copy the same interface doesn't mean those same traders that use MT4 will use it. You can't just skip the rough part.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
I think the people mentioning other interfaces/sites and GUIs do not understand the importance of the massive community which MT4 has, along with huge library of trading bots. Just think of the liquidity it would bring.

What we need to know is what % of current crypto traders use/are familiar with MT4 and see if it's worth it.

We are trying to grow the pie... For this reason we need to focus on fx traders.  Tapping into just a tiny % of that market will be much more lucrative than catering to crypto primarily.  Plus 95% of crypto traders don't have any professional trading experience.

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado

Offline monsterer

My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
To be honest I think this is more than we need right now. I think it would be good to have metatrader 4 in the future but for now we need something quick and simple like poloniex layout. and a chat box is needed.
We need crypto liquidty first and then in the future we can go for real fx liquidity with metatrader 4.

Valentin Jesse made this mockup which is the direction I think we need to head in.

Ok think about it this way... The Dow Jones, S&P, Nasdaq, and Russel don't care about making an intricate GUI... they provide the data that can be accessed by anyone else and they build the platforms around that data.
+5%

People just dont seem to get it, that UI programming is just as hard as doing the core, its subjective and hard to get right in everyone's eyes. You NEED to leverage proven UI's that work already otherwise you will never get liftoff like you expect (if you aren't the first to market)... and we aren't bitcoin is.

You can do all the mockup's you'd like but when it comes time to use it, won't be the same as a flashy promising screenshot.

Exactly... Traders are creatures of habit.  They are going to prefer to use an interface that they are already familiar with.  The problem with the above interface is it is too complicated for novices, but too simple for traders.  A lot of people are saying we need "a good enough ui" and I'm telling you doing that won't help us fit in with any niche demographic.

Provide easy and secure ways to access price, asset, and account data and watch bitshares bloom.

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
To be honest I think this is more than we need right now. I think it would be good to have metatrader 4 in the future but for now we need something quick and simple like poloniex layout. and a chat box is needed.
We need crypto liquidty first and then in the future we can go for real fx liquidity with metatrader 4.

Valentin Jesse made this mockup which is the direction I think we need to head in.

Ok think about it this way... The Dow Jones, S&P, Nasdaq, and Russel don't care about making an intricate GUI... they provide the data that can be accessed by anyone else and they build the platforms around that data.
+5%

People just dont seem to get it, that UI programming is just as hard as doing the core, its subjective and hard to get right in everyone's eyes. You NEED to leverage proven UI's that work already otherwise you will never get liftoff like you expect (if you aren't the first to market)... and we aren't bitcoin is.

You can do all the mockup's you'd like but when it comes time to use it, won't be the same as a flashy promising screenshot.

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
    • twitter.com/jonnybitcoin

I run the @bitshares twitter handle
twitter.com/bitshares

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
what about cTrader instead metatrader 4

http://www.spotware.com/

comparison for trading platforms here:  ;)
http://www.myfxbook.com/reviews/trading-platforms/19,1

The issue isn't picking just one to support, we want to make the api useable by as many platforms as possible.  The optimal solution would be to have 5+ different trading platforms compatible with bts.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
what about cTrader instead metatrader 4

http://www.spotware.com/

comparison for trading platforms here:  ;)
http://www.myfxbook.com/reviews/trading-platforms/19,1

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

+5% for reaching out to them. Didn't even know cass was already working on it, wow

I'm pretty sure there's been some crossed wires in this thread. Cass appeared to be talking about a different company?

yep indeed .. i'm talking about getting in contact with .. www.haasonline.com ---
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█