Author Topic: Wallet creation process - possible flaw leading to lost accounts  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile
How could you even create an account if there is no wallet created? I know that the safe-checks for this are in place already .. what browser are you using?
@jcalfee1 do you have any idea what is going on here? This seems like a very ugly edge case ..

Firefox v42

Just tried it again.  First deleted the default wallet, created new account.  This time clicking any buttons would not load the correct page.  The new link would appear in the address bar but I would not see the refreshed updated page.  Quite common occurrence I have found.  Now I was forced to f5 refresh and all the correct buttons appeared in the management console.

Previous time, the links worked and I did not have to refresh.  Just Delete wallet>create account>hit the wallet management screen and only options were to load backup or create new.  Looks like testz was right, just a simple refresh was required.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
How could you even create an account if there is no wallet created? I know that the safe-checks for this are in place already .. what browser are you using?
@jcalfee1 do you have any idea what is going on here? This seems like a very ugly edge case ..

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile
I've been trying to restore a 2.0 wallet on openledger with no success and I think I stumbled upon the same issue of losing yet another account.

In another thread I asked about a way to "logout" so when I hit the openledger page my wallet is not automatically loaded.  One suggestion was to delete the wallet in the management settings.  This seemed to work.  After unsuccessfully being able to restore the old wallet, I wanted to start fresh with a new user name so I deleted the default wallet in the management console and created a new account.  Once the new account was created I wanted to backup the new wallet however in the management console no options were available to do so.  Only restore backup and create new wallet were showing.  I clicked new wallet and now have no way to access the new account again.

Perhaps some safeguards should be in place here?   I did not lose any BTS however these issues are what's stopping me from importing my 0.9x account.  Lastly, are inactive account names recycled or are they lost forever?

Probably it's has some bug, to be safe, after deleting wallet from management console always close and reopen the page.

Never thought to simply refresh!!!  Damn, lost another good account name :(

Offline testz

I've been trying to restore a 2.0 wallet on openledger with no success and I think I stumbled upon the same issue of losing yet another account.

In another thread I asked about a way to "logout" so when I hit the openledger page my wallet is not automatically loaded.  One suggestion was to delete the wallet in the management settings.  This seemed to work.  After unsuccessfully being able to restore the old wallet, I wanted to start fresh with a new user name so I deleted the default wallet in the management console and created a new account.  Once the new account was created I wanted to backup the new wallet however in the management console no options were available to do so.  Only restore backup and create new wallet were showing.  I clicked new wallet and now have no way to access the new account again.

Perhaps some safeguards should be in place here?   I did not lose any BTS however these issues are what's stopping me from importing my 0.9x account.  Lastly, are inactive account names recycled or are they lost forever?

Probably it's has some bug, to be safe, after deleting wallet from management console always close and reopen the page.

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile