Author Topic: PSA: Be weary of investing in decentralized exchange UIAs  (Read 5088 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Meanwhile, where else in Cryptodom can you find as many freaking new potential revenue producing FBA assets to trade?

Now you don't have to launch a whole DAC, just roll your own FBAs one at a time.  Priceless.

BM is now extra inspired to start cranking them out (in his spare time). 
I wonder when @toast, @Rune, @BunkerChain Labs , @bitsapphire and a host of others will get in the act?
Actually .. myself, @svk, and @cass are going to "get in" the act with something very in need rather soonish :)

Offline btstip

• View Profile
  • BitShares: btstip-io
Hey Tuck Fheman, here are the results of your tips...
  • Stan: has been credited 5 PERCENT
  • jaran: has been credited 5 PERCENT
Curious about ShareBits? Visit us at http://sharebits.io and start tipping BTS on https://bitsharestalk.org/ today!
Created by hybridd

Tuck Fheman

I have to give OpenLedger credit.  Ronny is a publicity machine. 

#sharebits "Stan" 5 PERCENT

I think whats missing in BTS land is docs on how to go about this

#sharebits "jaran" 5 PERCENT

ya fuzzy is looking for a how-to on UIA's, anyone know where to find one?

jaran

Meanwhile, where else in Cryptodom can you find as many freaking new potential revenue producing FBA assets to trade?

Now you don't have to launch a whole DAC, just roll your own FBAs one at a time.  Priceless.

I wonder when @toast, @Rune, @BunkerChain Labs , @bitsapphire and a host of others will get in the act?

I think whats missing in BTS land is docs on how to go about this.  How does one create a fee based business on BTS?  What types of business could be created?  How does one do this and remain regulatory compliant in the USA?

Another example is prediction markets.  We are told they are possible but nobody has any idea how to create one.

Another example is custom operations were mentioned in a mumble weeks ago but that was all anyone has heard of them since.  What can one build with custom operations?  Give examples etc.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
If you buy a stock thinking you'll get rich quick, think again.
It hasn't even been 3 months or 6 months, so of course volume isn't going to go up overnight.

Will it ever go up? If it doesn't then Bitshares is dead and BTS is worthless too. So the decentralized exchange is all or nothing. If they aren't successful neither is Bitshares. The UIAs make the decentralized exchange.

I would say it will take a few more months before the decentralized exchanges gain in volume. Poloniex didn't develop overnight but instead took 6 months to a year. It grew because it adopted so many altcoins, some of which you couldn't get anywhere else.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 01:54:21 am by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
If they aren't successful neither is Bitshares. The UIAs make the decentralized exchange.

I'm not sure I agree with this. There are a lot more uses for BitShares aside from the UIAs.

Offline hybridd

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hybr1d
This will likely be an unpopular opinion, but I feel I must speak up. The way I see it, the operators are trying to cash in immediately and shift most of the risks of their businesses to those who buy their UIA. If they think their businesses will be wildly successful, then it makes little sense to me as to why they would try to sell so much equity this early in the game. Take a look at the list of cryptocurrency exchanges and notice how many of them have little to no volume. I gave the same warning to the Nxt community when they were largely investing in many UIAs immediately following the creation of their UIA exchange. I think a majority of them wish they would of taken my advice. You have been warned. I don't mean to ruffle any feathers and mean no offence to those who are selling these assets, as you guys likely do not have any bad intentions in offering these sales.

*promptly looks for an underground bunker to hide in for eternity*

From what I've seen on BitcoinTalk, ICOs (basically the same as UIAs) have been around for a few years now, and aren't anything new. Rule of thumb, is most ICOs are scams. It's however not always that it was intended to be a scam, but just the person couldn't deliver (and then decided they were going to make no effort to reimburse investors). For example, NXT was an ICO.

The reason to however have an ICO can be justified. If the developer(s) intends to work full-time on the project, they have no source of income until the project comes to  frutation. Not everyone is in a position where they can go months (or however long the project would take before ROI) without any pay, so sacrifices need to be made, and thus crowdfunding is born.

It's important to note, not all ICOs/UIAs are the equivalent to equity.
http://sharebits.io - #sharebits "person" amount asset - Start tipping on bitsharestalk today!
Developer @ Freebie

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
If you buy a stock thinking you'll get rich quick, think again.
It hasn't even been 3 months or 6 months, so of course volume isn't going to go up overnight.

Will it ever go up? If it doesn't then Bitshares is dead and BTS is worthless too. So the decentralized exchange is all or nothing. If they aren't successful neither is Bitshares. The UIAs make the decentralized exchange.

I would say it will take a few more months before the decentralized exchanges gain in volume. Poloniex didn't develop overnight but instead took 6 months to a year. It grew because it adopted so many altcoins, some of which you couldn't get anywhere else.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 12:33:46 am by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Russ Hanneman

This will likely be an unpopular opinion, but I feel I must speak up. The way I see it, the operators are trying to cash in immediately and shift most of the risks of their businesses to those who buy their UIA. If they think their businesses will be wildly successful, then it makes little sense to me as to why they would try to sell so much equity this early in the game. Take a look at the list of cryptocurrency exchanges and notice how many of them have little to no volume. I gave the same warning to the Nxt community when they were largely investing in many UIAs immediately following the creation of their UIA exchange. I think a majority of them wish they would of taken my advice. You have been warned. I don't mean to ruffle any feathers and mean no offence to those who are selling these assets, as you guys likely do not have any bad intentions in offering these sales.

I could not have said it better. Anyone who bought in during the early promotion prices and exited with a profit as I did, good for you. I do not think the others will be so lucky. As you state above there is very little volume at these exchanges compared to the big boys and it hasn't been increasing despite the numerous advertisements promising otherwise. Your points are on the mark and I appreciate you not bringing them up until after I had exited. ;)
HOW I MAKE OVER $120,000 A YEAR WITH BITCOIN ... http://goo.gl/mKwC3i
BitShares Insider Trading Network - Join Today! ... https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,16622.0.html

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
The UIAs are 98% shit. But if there is a good use case for them (aside from serving as currency, commodity, stock, or bond proxies, not to mention musician, athlete, or celebrity tokens as MUSE may use them for), then I think it would be as a token for a profitable blockchain business. I would like to support the businesses that are trying to be successful and use UIAs this way. Your warning is well taken, though, as there is still a human element and it's true that none of these UIA issuers are profitable, sustainable businesses yet. Hopefully, a few of them will become successful.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 12:28:20 am by donkeypong »

Offline CoinHoarder

• In Cryptocoins I Trust
    • View Profile

https://www.decentralized.tech/ -> Market Data, Portfolios, Information, Links, Reviews, Forums, Blogs, Etc.
https://www.cryptohun.ch/ -> Tradable Blockchain Asset PvP Card Game