Author Topic: Why Cryptocurrencies Matter  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Zapply

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Zapstar
Great talk, Charles.

I think one of the best things is how you engage bitcoiners.  Somehow you keep everybody in the room happy even though many of the solutions you allude to circumvent the bitcoin holy water.

On a much more general note, and I stage this for everybody, Charles' allusions to negative relationships with bitshares and lack of mentions of its problem solving strategies that seemingly would have blended tremendously with the talk possibly speak generally to Bitshares' PR problem. Charles has a very strong working knowledge of bitshares yet must avoid speaking positively about it.  It's an awful quandary in my opinion.

I am in the camp that PR and marketing may be best served at the application level by entrepreneurs, but none the less, I am certain it would be valuable to have a world-class CS and blockchain guy like Charles speaking positively and guiding devs and entrepreneurial, interested and bright folk to the project.

After finishing the video, my predominant thought was to have the blockchain pay a high-profile and very knowledgeable guy such as Charles to speak and do Q&A at these types of conferences.  Some shareholders fret about about paying for marketing, but with escrow based on proof of performance it could be handled in a measurable way by a trusted team such as Bunker Chain Labs.  It would also be a very nice demonstration of a Smart Contract :) 

Does anyone agree bitshares would benefit from some public face driving entrepreneurs and devs to the platform? Or are there better avenues?
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,20368.0.html

Offline twitter

• View Profile
witness:

Offline Thom

After finishing the video, my predominant thought was to have the blockchain pay a high-profile and very knowledgeable guy such as Charles to speak and do Q&A at these types of conferences.  Some shareholders fret about about paying for marketing, but with escrow based on proof of performance it could be handled in a measurable way by a trusted team such as Bunker Chain Labs.  It would also be a very nice demonstration of a Smart Contract :) 

@carpet ride . No please no...We don't want to pay anymore for great marketers...Brian Page got paid enormous amounts and the result was an initial pump of bitshares and an endless dump afterwards for the past year..bitshares will be sold on its own once it is ready..Companies will jump on board once they see the potential for huge profits and I think bitshares has started to move away from just simply smart contracts and market pegged assets and will evolve to a whole new monster sooner or later. I am thinking of gift economies, internet of things operating in bitshares network and many more new exciting things.

I say why not? With multisig it would now be easy to tie payment to performance via the rise of marketcap or any other independent oracle or verifiable metric. Under perform and no pay, or pay proportional to performance.

The biggest problem with ALL governance systems is accountability. Escrow / multisig solves that, as long as the 3rd party arbiter has accountability as well. Theoretically it could be seen as a recursive problem with no solution I suppose, but that's just another way of saying you can't eliminate ALL risk. It's not about eliminating risk, it's about managing it to acceptable levels.

I sure hope the use of multisig protection gains adoption of use in more and more applications. I looked at it's implementation in the OL wallet recently and think the UI implementation for it is excellent to address the widest possible use cases but a bit too complicated for many people. However a 3rd party could come along and create a "wizard" to setup multisig by asking a series of questions, kindof like a turbotax interview process. Bing bang boom problem solved for the masses.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline triox

• View Profile
  • BitShares: triox
Does anyone agree bitshares would benefit from some public face driving entrepreneurs and devs to the platform? Or are there better avenues?

Unless it's Nick Szabo or Andreas Antonopulos don't bother. 

Even Erik Voorhees and Roger effing Ver have been called traitors for even daring to acknowledge the validity of altcoins.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
@IOHKCharles .Very nice talk, well described and easy explaining things. But i didn't like your initial comment "bitshares was a fun project..Ethereum is awesome blah blah blah..." and I hope @bytemaster to prove you wrong at some point. It would be very interesting maybe have a debate at some point the two of you about what ethereum can do better from bitshares and vice versa so the rest of us simply humans can understand things better..

@carpet ride . No please no...We don't want to pay anymore for great marketers...Brian Page got paid enormous amounts and the result was an initial pump of bitshares and an endless dump afterwards for the past year..bitshares will be sold on its own once it is ready..Companies will jump on board once they see the potential for huge profits and I think bitshares has started to move away from just simply smart contracts and market pegged assets and will evolve to a whole new monster sooner or later. I am thinking of gift economies, internet of things operating in bitshares network and many more new exciting things.

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile
Great talk, Charles.

I think one of the best things is how you engage bitcoiners.  Somehow you keep everybody in the room happy even though many of the solutions you allude to circumvent the bitcoin holy water.

On a much more general note, and I stage this for everybody, Charles' allusions to negative relationships with bitshares and lack of mentions of its problem solving strategies that seemingly would have blended tremendously with the talk possibly speak generally to Bitshares' PR problem. Charles has a very strong working knowledge of bitshares yet must avoid speaking positively about it.  It's an awful quandary in my opinion.

I am in the camp that PR and marketing may be best served at the application level by entrepreneurs, but none the less, I am certain it would be valuable to have a world-class CS and blockchain guy like Charles speaking positively and guiding devs and entrepreneurial, interested and bright folk to the project.

All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha
Great! Although as a libertarian I have to disagree that libertarians don't care about market failures. Usually we just think that they are smaller problem than government failures that you get when you let the politicians solve the market failures. I think blockchains are not a "third way" option but a libertarian option. Of course they can be used for other ideologies too. I'm just very skeptical if anybody else besides libertarians can actually use them effectively.

You mentioned a basket currency. Have you actually thought it could be done in the near future or was that just an idea to throw in the talk? I've been thinking that Bitshares should try to do that (opened a thread about it a while ago) as a market pegged asset. But the problem is that I have no idea what should be included in the basket to make it stable enough. Do you know any people who might be interested in designing a perfect formula for a basket currency?

About governance problem of Bitcoin: Absolutely agree! That's why I'm interested in Bitshares. We have all important roles defined so that we can govern the blockchain and make all essential decisions in time. My guess is that lack of governance will kill Bitcoin. It's became too big to make any radical changes anymore.