Author Topic: Donations to open source a GPU Protoshares miner (PTS)  (Read 73079 times)

Offline patrickhd

• View Profile
Re: Donations to open source a GPU Protoshares miner (PTS)
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2014, 09:18:28 pm »
Was able to get my build working by forcing SPHLIB.

Please clarify what that means/how you do that? Maybe you could post a .rar archive of your project files?
It's a two-line hack, but it's probably better to just wait; with SPHLIB I am only getting ~95 c/m on a 650 TI instead of the ~335 under linux, which basically puts efficiency below CPU mining. You'd be better off mining an scrypt coin and exchanging it for PTS at that rate.

If you want/need to test yourself, just change: "use_avxsse4 = true" to "use_avxsse4 = false" and comment out Init_SHA512_avx()

Offline earthbound

• View Profile
    • earthbound.io
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2014, 09:08:31 pm »
Was able to get my build working by forcing SPHLIB.

Please clarify what that means/how you do that? Maybe you could post a .rar archive of your project files?
I think I'm not alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless dominion of our solar system. -Jack Handey

Offline archit

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2014, 09:03:06 pm »
Same problem, I talked with DGA and he said that he made some "hardcoded assumptions" and he would fix it and then it should work. For now it's just as fast as CPU

Offline patrickhd

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2014, 08:57:25 pm »
Working on windows, well almost

Was able to get my build working by forcing SPHLIB. I have a feeling yasm is not playing nice with the ms compiler; maybe the flags need to altered. With SPH forced I am finding and submitting shares, with sse4 or avx it eventually crashes and never submits any work.

Offline r05

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2014, 08:41:21 pm »
Works like a dream on an nVidia GT220 1GB on Debian 7 x64.

Nice work, dude.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 08:46:05 pm by r05 »
If I have helped you, please consider buying me a beer:
PTS: PZ6ZED8q1i7nQqnZiwFHdgLMELi3sgpnzL
BTC: 1CPF64k1AraWAUiDSh2QthRhbtJJznzRtw

Offline archit

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2014, 08:05:46 pm »

Offline archit

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2014, 07:27:01 pm »
I was in a hurry and wanted to get over with it as soon as possible  :P

The boost version I used was http://jaist.dl.sourceforge.net/project/boost/boost/1.55.0/boost_1_55_0.7z  but I then had to compile it so I think that would be better.

Tools -> Options -> Projects and Solutions -> VC++ Project Settings -> Build customization search path

Offline earthbound

• View Profile
    • earthbound.io
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2014, 07:14:25 pm »
I'm trying your solution, archit.

It expects YASM to be at:

Code: [Select]
K:\Downloads\vsyasm-1.2.0-win64
-- I suggest adjusting the path to be relative, with that yasm folder, I don't know--as a subfolder of the project?

I get the project to load without complaint after downloading this, which I assume is the version of YASM you downloaded:

http://www.tortall.net/projects/yasm/releases/vsyasm-1.2.0-win64.zip

--but to get it to load (I don't know how to change the expected path--amateur, here!) I had to make a "Downloads" subfolder in the project, extract yasm under that subfolder, and then map a K: network drive to my own computer (at \\myCompyName\C$\CudaPTS\Downloads). A ridiculous cluge, but it works.

I assume this is the correct version of Boost for my setup (using Microsoft Visual Studio 2012--which is actually version 11 of Visual Studio (brilliant, isn't it?) --

http://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/boost-binaries/1.55.0/boost_1_55_0-msvc-11.0-64.exe/download

-- so I'm obtaining that, and trying to integrate it, and we'll see what happens . . .
I think I'm not alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless dominion of our solar system. -Jack Handey

Offline nbrew

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2014, 06:06:10 pm »
Any thoughts on getting it to compile on Mac OS X? The requirements are straightforward using homebrew (brew install boost yasm and ensuring cuda toolkit is installed and in my PATH) but building fails for me on the -march and -mtune switches in cpuid.c.

$ make -f makefile.osx
llvm-g++ -O3 -I/opt/local/include -march=native -Wall -Wextra -Wformat -Wformat-security -Wno-unused-parameter  -DMAC_OSX -DMSG_NOSIGNAL=0 -DBOOST_SPIRIT_THREADSAFE -I"/Users/nhyde/Documents/shared/workspace/c/Sandbox/cudapts/src" -I"/Users/nhyde/Documents/shared/workspace/c/Sandbox/cudapts/src"/obj -I"/opt/local/include"  -c -O2  -fpermissive -o obj/cpuid.o cpuid.c
cpuid.c:1: error: bad value (native) for -march= switch
cpuid.c:1: error: bad value (native) for -mtune= switch
make: *** [obj/cpuid.o] Error 1

TIA!

Offline archit

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2014, 05:49:26 pm »
You need YASM

Offline Kaku

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2014, 05:43:32 pm »
Compiled with Cygwin, now I have this error,

obj/sha512_avx.o_asm: file not recognized: File format not recognized
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
makefile.mingw64:119: recipe for target 'ptsminer_amd.exe' failed
make: *** [ptsminer_amd.exe] Error 1

any idea?

Offline archit

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 09, 2014, 05:08:49 pm »
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eszhv53k9kitdqz/CUDAPTS.rar

The entire solution is in this file. It requires the boost library for windows and yasm.

dga Did you see what's wrong with it?

Offline dga

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2014, 04:45:47 pm »
Any help with the compiler errors I listed?

Archit, how did you get it to compile in Visual Studio 12?

dga, how did you discover what code abc123 changed? And I'd really rather the latter open source however the hockeysticks he got that (apparently modded) compile . . .

abc123, if you're reading this, any help on how to get it to compile?

I didn't - I'm guessing based upon the performance numbers he posted and the memory requirements.  *grins*  For all I know, he did something completely different.  There are several optimizations possible right now.

-Dave

Offline dga

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2014, 04:44:06 pm »
dga
are you expecting that AMD cards will be able to mine this faster once someone ports the code like they are with other gpu mined coins?

I haven't made up my mind about that yet.  The PTS PoW is a little more interesting on GPU than the previous ones, and there are more design choices involved.  The actual work of doing the sha512 hashing *will* be faster on AMD, which gives more opportunities to exploit some of the time/space tradeoffs, but Nvidia cards have a nice memory architecture.

Prediction #1:  There's a lot of optimization left for GPU PTS mining.  My miner is not going to be the fastest one on the block -- I've already improved its speed by about 20% on my development branch, though it uses more memory.  I have a few more optimizations in mind.  I plan a second release in two weeks once I've had a chance to iron out the kinks.  I would be shocked if people didn't at least double the speed of my miner on all architectures in the longer run.

Prediction #2:  The AMD-Nvidia gap will be narrower for PTS than for other coins.  I don't know which way it will go, though.

Past that, my crystal ball is murky.  *grins*

-Dave

Offline earthbound

• View Profile
    • earthbound.io
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2014, 04:42:57 pm »
Any help with the compiler errors I listed?

Archit, how did you get it to compile in Visual Studio 12?

dga, how did you discover what code abc123 changed? And I'd really rather the latter open source however the hockeysticks he got that (apparently modded) compile . . .

abc123, if you're reading this, any help on how to get it to compile?