Author Topic: Donations to open source a GPU Protoshares miner (PTS)  (Read 73090 times)

Offline dga

• View Profile
Re: Donations to open source a GPU Protoshares miner (PTS)
« Reply #163 on: January 14, 2014, 05:57:02 pm »
For those who don't feel like reading through a bunch of source code but find the algorithmic issues interesting, I've posted a little writeup on my blog about the basic problem and solution used in the GPU PTS miner:

http://da-data.blogspot.com/2014/01/gaining-momentum-duplicate-detection-in.html

-Dave

Hi dga.
Your work is fantastic. But I do have a small request for the next build, and I would like to ask if it's possible: Could you implement the interactive mode like cudaminer. Your miner is already top, efficient and in low temperature for the card, but I can't use the computer anymore if I let it runs. Cudaminer has the interactive switch, so if you switch this on, you lose about 5-10% of hash, but you won't notice much about how your computer lags. I would be very happy with this.

Thanks dga.

Regards.

Yup, it's on the TODO.

Offline aasl

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 14, 2014, 12:40:09 pm »
hi. How to use cudapts to connect to ypool.net?

Offline AizenSou

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 14, 2014, 09:26:44 am »
For those who don't feel like reading through a bunch of source code but find the algorithmic issues interesting, I've posted a little writeup on my blog about the basic problem and solution used in the GPU PTS miner:

http://da-data.blogspot.com/2014/01/gaining-momentum-duplicate-detection-in.html

-Dave

Hi dga.
Your work is fantastic. But I do have a small request for the next build, and I would like to ask if it's possible: Could you implement the interactive mode like cudaminer. Your miner is already top, efficient and in low temperature for the card, but I can't use the computer anymore if I let it runs. Cudaminer has the interactive switch, so if you switch this on, you lose about 5-10% of hash, but you won't notice much about how your computer lags. I would be very happy with this.

Thanks dga.

Regards.

Offline relm9

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 14, 2014, 06:23:59 am »
The latest build dropped my cm rate from ~1650 to ~1250 on a GTX 780.

Offline dga

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 13, 2014, 08:16:48 pm »

-Dave

Offline crz

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 13, 2014, 07:05:25 pm »
Ok just released cudaPTSwin - Beeeeer - PTS GPU miner for Windows  -> https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=2311.0

Cheers!
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=2311.0 -  cudaPTSwin - Beeeeer - Fast PTS GPU miner for Windows
PTS: Pq9Qeyks1KzAY9gGWrkPcrYJoe1J12UZ3a - XPM: AL3HzLAfjndM3Me1V3D97Xveeis3Vx1Sms - BTC: 14AQXd2bqz45zaJWk3EwBB7xVYS45WhrRM

Offline earthbound

• View Profile
    • earthbound.io
« Reply #157 on: January 13, 2014, 05:21:30 pm »
earthbound,

got missing MSVCP110D.dll

Thx

Looking into that, apparently that means I didn't properly build it in "release" mode (so even installing the redisributable probably wouldn't fix it). . .
I think I'm not alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless dominion of our solar system. -Jack Handey

Offline pinov

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 13, 2014, 10:30:06 am »
earthbound,

got missing MSVCP110D.dll

Thx
Approve pinov and pinof & earn BTSX on every transaction you make
wallet_approve_delegate pinov
wallet_approve_delegate pinof

Offline earthbound

• View Profile
    • earthbound.io
« Reply #155 on: January 13, 2014, 07:52:33 am »
Gronk make dirty hack visual studio windows port compile and run. Gronk post compile and source code here.

Gronk not sure miner actually doing any pool work when run. GPU gears spin-spin, but no output to screen maybe? How make write on screen? Is doing any work? Maybe it work? Please test, advise. Gronk tax disabled for test. Mines at Gronk drink beeeeer mine. Want make mine anywhere. Not do that for now.

Thank!

Miner in Gronk /src/Release cave.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q9u4r8sy0zsgf7j/cudaPTSwin.7z
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 01:06:04 am by earthbound »
I think I'm not alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless dominion of our solar system. -Jack Handey

Offline r05

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 12, 2014, 02:28:02 pm »
with the new version it's look like im down 100c/m per gtx 295
each gpu in the gtx 295 was getting 340+ now it is only getting 290c/m
+1 to this - my GT210 dropped from 80c/m to 50c/m with the latest update.

That's no good. :(

Did you both let it run for a while before comparing the #s?  It can take an hour or two (particularly with slower cards) for the rate to become steady.  I'm going to add another "speed" metric that's a bit more relevant to quick benchmarking, but for now, c/m it is. :)

I'm surprised.  The changes I made shouldn't be large, and slower cards, if anything, should see almost no effect.
Yessir I did - normally let it run for ~2 hours to stabilize. :(
If I have helped you, please consider buying me a beer:
PTS: PZ6ZED8q1i7nQqnZiwFHdgLMELi3sgpnzL
BTC: 1CPF64k1AraWAUiDSh2QthRhbtJJznzRtw

Offline AizenSou

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 12, 2014, 01:47:09 pm »

Did you both let it run for a while before comparing the #s?  It can take an hour or two (particularly with slower cards) for the rate to become steady.  I'm going to add another "speed" metric that's a bit more relevant to quick benchmarking, but for now, c/m it is. :)

I'm surprised.  The changes I made shouldn't be large, and slower cards, if anything, should see almost no effect.

I can confirm too, dga.
I have test at least each card for 1 hour but the maximal rate drops at least 10% in comparison to your previous version. I don't check the memory consumption or temperature.

Offline dga

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 12, 2014, 01:04:21 pm »

Offline r05

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 12, 2014, 12:46:50 pm »
If I have helped you, please consider buying me a beer:
PTS: PZ6ZED8q1i7nQqnZiwFHdgLMELi3sgpnzL
BTC: 1CPF64k1AraWAUiDSh2QthRhbtJJznzRtw

Offline bitminer9000

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 12, 2014, 03:50:12 am »

Offline dga

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 12, 2014, 01:14:58 am »
Well, let's not let the AMD folks win, shall we?

Obviously, they can keep cloning my software, but let's let the folks using the open version have some fun for a while longer.

I've committed another optimization to the repository.  My GTX690 is now getting about 1850 c/m - not a huge boost, but a little.

The more important thing about this commit is that it removes the dependency upon yasm, which I know was causing some folks a headache trying to compile it on Windows.  Let's see if this makes it easier to use the open source version instead of a who-knows-what-you're-getting closed clone. :-)

-Dave

And - many thanks to the people who're running the miner with dev donations to me enabled.  I know you don't need to, and I appreciate it.  That, and the few direct donations I've received, are what's going to keep these improvements flowing.

-Dave