Author Topic: Follow My Vote Press Release!  (Read 6729 times)

Offline modprobe

• You say you will utilize mobile devices as they have the best security models. My first thought was "W00T?", really? I mean I am not very good at evaluating smart phones regarding their security, but I have the subject feeling that my phone is the device where I have least control over it, regarding security.
  • You say it is possible for voters to revoke votes in case they notice something went wrong. Is that a technical solution, like revokation certificates in PGP? Or is that simple the possibility to go to voting officials and state that something went wrong. Couldn't that be abused?

For question 1, karnal's response is dead-on. Yes, we can make a far more secure system on a desktop computer, but with much, much lower convenience. In terms of balancing security and convenience, mobile does a great job. Obviously nothing's perfect, but mobile has pretty rigorous security by default while desktop does not.

For question 2, this is a technical solution by which the voter publishes a nullifying vote to the chain (which serves as notice to vote counters that the identity's previous or future votes should be ignored). When they arrive at the central polling place, they provide that TXID and the poll workers publish to the chain an acceptance of that nullifying vote and give the voter a paper ballot to vote on. If the voter attempts to use that same identity to cast a second paper ballot, the poll workers will observe that the nullified vote has already been accepted and will refuse to issue a second paper ballot.

Offline btswolf

@Slick Willy When are you going to put FMV Token to the chain so we can trade it?
When will you connect your alpha/beta... Voting Software to the chain?

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Full report: https://webrootsdemocracy.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/secure-voting-webroots-democracy.pdf

Just read the report. Two questions:

• You say you will utilize mobile devices as they have the best security models. My first thought was "W00T?", really? I mean I am not very good at evaluating smart phones regarding their security, but I have the subject feeling that my phone is the device where I have least control over it, regarding security.
  • You say it is possible for voters to revoke votes in case they notice something went wrong. Is that a technical solution, like revokation certificates in PGP? Or is that simple the possibility to go to voting officials and state that something went wrong. Couldn't that be abused?

For average Joe/Jane, this is (somewhat sadly) true. At least for Android, I don't know much about iOS but it should be about the same.

Why? Simple.

99.999% of desktop/laptop users out there will run all of their stuff without any virtualization, under a single user account in the operating system, and more often than not, with an account that has administrator access (or can escalate without much/any authentication)

Essentially what that means is that it takes one bug in any one program to potentially compromise ALL of the users' data.

With mobile it's different, it's not virtualized but each app runs as its own user id in the operating system, therefore app A data is isolated from app B which is isolated from app C and so on. And since by default they don't come with administrator (root) access enabled, this boundary is clearly enforced.

Of course, both android and iOS come from the manufacturers with giant backdoors in them (google play store, apple store) .. backdoors, you say?

Well, let's just say that the google stuff in your android (to make an example out of android again) can remotely install apps on your device, without any notification.. need I say more?

It's equally obvious that such a capability will not be used often in the wild, or there would be massive backlash. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that at least on mobile, average joe/jane would have to be specifically targetted by a government/3 letter agency.

There are also exploits for android/iOS (android is a glorified linux, after all), and there have been some epic examples last year, which can break the security model, but once again .. for the average joe/jane, there are MANY more in desktop computing.

For people who take advantage of all the possibilities that today's technology can offer, mobile (even w/o the google/apple crap on them [not sure if one can eviscerate the apple crap from iThings]) is no match in terms of security -- one can do much, much better with a "normal" computer.

But for the average, nontechnical person, that's simply not true. Mobile does a much better job by default.
Which is exasperating seeing as people have no idea just how much their phones are tracking them. But I digress.

Offline 5chdn

• i wonder how many chars i can put in this field 50
    • View Profile
    • Votesapp
  • GitHub: 5chdn
Full report: https://webrootsdemocracy.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/secure-voting-webroots-democracy.pdf

Just read the report. Two questions:

Offline roadscape

http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline 5chdn

• i wonder how many chars i can put in this field 50
    • View Profile
    • Votesapp
  • GitHub: 5chdn
very nice .. but I still would love to see more documentation about how thos is actually achieved and hoe far development has gone already

+5%

plus: please tell us which communication channels you guys use. it seems its neither email nor this forum (in bi-directional terms). i'd love to discuss details.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Great job guys!! Very interesting project.

Offline giant middle finger

• View Profile
Presentation looks sweet.

Could this be the front end for prediction market too???

If so, then Dark Auger is born!

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
very nice .. but I still would love to see more documentation about how thos is actually achieved and hoe far development has gone already

Offline BunkerChainLabs-DataSecurityNode

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
www.Peerplays.com | Decentralized Gaming Built with Graphene - Now with BookiePro and Sweeps!
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Offline Slick Willy

• View Profile
Follow My Vote, Inc.
Blacksburg, VA
January 26, 2016
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

FOLLOW MY VOTE AND WEBROOTS DEMOCRACY RELEASE SECURE VOTING REPORT IN COMBINATION WITH VERIZON, SCYTL, EVERYONE COUNTS, AND OTHERS.

Blacksburg, VA — WebRoots Democracy, in partnership with Follow My Vote and other industry leading experts, has released a report entitled "Secure Voting: A guide to secure #onlinevoting in elections." The purpose of the report, which was written by global experts and authoritative academics, is to explore and document the possible security models for online voting software. “We think the use of blockchain technology could be the security breakthrough that makes online voting viable.” states Nathan Hourt, Co-Founder and CTO at Follow My Vote.

With the information provided in the report, governments around the world can now make informed decisions on how to move forward with modernizing their election processes. The Secure Voting report was preceded by the WebRoots Democracy report, Viral Voting.

The following companies and people contributed to the WebRoots Democracy Secure Voting report: Follow My Vote, Verizon, Dr. Kevin Curran, Professor Robert Krimmer, Scytl, Smartmatic, Everyone Counts, Electoral Reform Services, and Mi-Voice.

"We are humbled by the opportunity to demonstrate our expertise in designing secure, open- source, end-to-end verifiable online voting software on a global level," states Adam Kaleb Ernest, Co-Founder and CEO at Follow My Vote.

See the official Follow My Vote website for more information on the Secure Voting report: https://followmyvote.com.
###
Contact Follow My Vote:
contact@followmyvote.com
2020 Kraft Drive
Suite 3050
Blacksburg, VA 24060

Please let me know if you can help with dissemination of the press release!  The button on our homepage leads here: https://followmyvote.com/secure-voting-report/