Author Topic: Secondary market for blockchain timeshare resources  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Pheonike

I don't think it necessary. BTS is the access token. Why create a token to something that is already being done? I would rather that person buy and hold more BTS than pay another fee.

Offline bytemaster

If this were StarCraft you have minerals, gas, and supply depos.    Warcraft: Gold and Wood and Barracks.

Throw in some Dragon Kill Points and fuzzy will be very happy!

I like the idea of having two different tokens to representing different powers.  The price of bandwidth vs storage is very different and some people may create much more of one vs the other. 

So we have the following resources:
Bandwidth,
RAM,
Disk

Disk usage is the long-term cost of keeping records and downloading the chain. Someone who consumes a small amount of bandwidth over a long period of time will consume much more Disk than someone who periodically bursts at high bandwidth. 

The only thing I will say is that sometimes keeping it simple is better.... complexity kills.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline lafona

• View Profile
  • BitShares: lafona
Hi so I mentioned the idea of a blockchain resource secondary market in the mumble today and after listening I wanted to discuss some modifications.

From my understanding there are at least two main network resources to be used by operations, bandwidth and memory.
Since the ownership of BTS represents owning a time-share portion of the network we could say that each BTS represents ownership of X bandwidth and Y memory. Then BTS could essentially create these assets at some predefined rate. Since the resources have different properties, the tokens should also have differing properties. ie

bandwidth tokens
-have a predefined lifetime(real bandwidth does not carry over)
memory tokens
-are sharedropped or allocated once(memory should be constant except for specific hardware upgrades)

One benefit of splitting these into discrete tokens is that you could charge a fee that more directly represents network usage.

transfers= 1 bandwidth
market_order= 1 bandwidth, 1 memory (memory is returned on order cancellation or fulfillment)

The main benefit would be that you could you could resell your unused resource tokens on a secondary market to users looking for bursts in bandwidth adding potential income to bts holders.

Also this could potentially fit into the current referral program by structuring the resource fee in a similiar 80/20 split. The referrers get the 80 spent by referrees and can either use or sell it on the secondary market. Lifetime membership would refund the 80 back to the referree as it does now.

Parameters like bandwith token life, memory token supply, bandwidth token creation, and the associated fees could be adjustable by the committee to allow for adaptation to various hardware or usage scenarios.

One potential drawback could be the amount of overhead this could add to track the creation, movement, destruction of the bandwidth tokens. My best guess might be to only create these tokens when they are used or sold.

Anyways I wanted to post this in case the ideas might be helpful or fun to discuss.

BTS Witnesses: delegate-1.lafona     Witness Thread: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,21569.msg280911/topicseen.html#msg280911
MUSE Witness: lafona