Author Topic: EASY FIX to improve user experience on DEX  (Read 9806 times)

Offline Pheonike

The groupings are great, makes it a lot easier to track what going on with the pairs.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
The DEX has a serious flaw that is killing user adoption.  It is simply way too confusing with all of the different versions of the same assets (primarily BTC, USD, CNY), and all of the associated different versions of the same markets.  It's a major mess and I can't prove it but I would bet my life that adoption and usage are suffering dramatically. 

But there's a relatively easy fix.  What if we had the concept of "primary" and "secondary" markets...and each registrar could specify for their own users which markets fall into which category.  So right now on the trading page we have 2 markets tabs: 1) My Markets and 2) All Markets.  What I'm proposing instead is that we could have a "Markets" header with 3 tabs labeled: 1) Favorites, 2) Primary, 3) Secondary.  The "Primary" markets would be a short list of markets designated as primary by the registrar.  "Secondary" markets would be everything else.  And "Favorites" would obviously be those starred by the user.  This way the list of markets can be "cleaned up" so it's not confusing for users. 

This solution would be very easy to implement yet would help improve adoption, and hopefully inch us a tiny bit further into the adoption/liquidity virtuous cycle we're painstakingly striving toward.  Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/FF-tKLISfPE
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Pheonike

How about an address book on the transfer page.

Offline tbone

• View Profile
  • BitShares: tbone2
@svk, the new grouped markets is a really nice improvement!   To make this feature even more useful, I wonder if you could make a toggle for viewing and hiding the depth chart so users can have the Markets vertically span the full right-hand column if they choose to.  Probably the most elegant way to handle this would be to add one of your little up/down pairs of arrows at the top of Favorite/Find Markets to toggle the Markets between full/partial length.

By the way, in Find Markets, I see BTS under CNY.  But not under USD or BTC.  Do you know why that is?  Also, in the larger "Explore" version of Favorite/Find Markets, can you make it so the columns line up from one group to the next?  Finally, could you add an additional column with header "My Balance" to show the user's balances for any assets they have positions in?  That would be great.  Thanks for all of your work on this.
i also like the market groupings.

Funny, I just pointed that out in the other thread.  Yeah, it's a nice improvement.

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053
@svk, the new grouped markets is a really nice improvement!   To make this feature even more useful, I wonder if you could make a toggle for viewing and hiding the depth chart so users can have the Markets vertically span the full right-hand column if they choose to.  Probably the most elegant way to handle this would be to add one of your little up/down pairs of arrows at the top of Favorite/Find Markets to toggle the Markets between full/partial length.

By the way, in Find Markets, I see BTS under CNY.  But not under USD or BTC.  Do you know why that is?  Also, in the larger "Explore" version of Favorite/Find Markets, can you make it so the columns line up from one group to the next?  Finally, could you add an additional column with header "My Balance" to show the user's balances for any assets they have positions in?  That would be great.  Thanks for all of your work on this.
i also like the market groupings.

Offline tbone

• View Profile

Offline roadscape

yeah, i tried to query our most liquid markets and nothing happened. what gives?

nobody cares about our illiquid markets and they are getting free advertising at the top of the list of markets. and for what?

the front market page is our prime real estate so put our best markets there man

I've said this before but I guess I need to say it again: there's no way to poll for most liquid markets!

The whole markets list is the way it is because of the limitations of the backend, there's just too many markets for it to keep track of in terms of top volume and I can't start polling every possible combination in order to find the most liquid markets. Perhaps if Cryptofresh (@roadscape) started tracking this and added an API for it I could use that, but for now this is the way it has to be. Of course depending on external resources is not great either and I've avoided doing that so far.

I'll try to revamp the layout slightly though, grouping by BASE currency like on Polo; and I'll add some more default markets.

Tracking all the markets and their volumes is something I'm planning to do on Cryptofresh. It's definitely something we need and it seems devs are very reluctant to add this to the core because of performance concerns..

edit: once it's in I can definitely create an API endpoint.. but I get your point about external dependencies.. so once I am able to pull this data out, it might be easier just to use it as a reference and hardcode a list of "featured" markets
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 04:40:04 pm by roadscape »
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline Louis

I'm not sure if you any skinning, but anything but those muddy colors would make a difference.

8)

Am I wrong? I just don't understand the appeal to the dark colors, it feels dated in my opinion.

I agree with you regarding the dark color, I thought the "day" feature was supposed to be done by Dec 15, but it seems that the idea has been put on the back burner..  :'(

Offline Pheonike

In the GUI on the overview page, can we add a percentage value change column for the assets or replace the percentage of supply with it. I don't care how much of the supply I have. I do care how much it's values has change. May even have overall value percentage increase/decrease on the page too.

TravelsAsia

I'm not sure if you any skinning, but anything but those muddy colors would make a difference.

8)

Am I wrong? I just don't understand the appeal to the dark colors, it feels dated in my opinion.

Offline tbone

• View Profile
@svk:  I really like some of the new changes you made to the trading screen!  Overall, it has a even cleaner look than before.  Also, it's very helpful that more markets are visible at once.  And being able to see both the price and depth charts at the same time is nice.  The only drawback is now the history (aka ticker/tape, aka time & sales) is not visible without scrolling.  That's a biggie.  You really want to be able to see the charts, ticker and order book at the same time (see https://youtu.be/V0-slDuqZNU?t=363).  This is one of the big shortcomings of Poloniex (constantly having to scroll is a nightmare), and a good opportunity for us to be better. 

And the good news is that it's an easy fix because it's really not necessary to see the chart and the order entry form at the same time.  So I would suggest a great improvement would be to move the order entry form down.  So in the vertical order book configuration, you can just move the history/ticker and My Orders up.

Of course, the horizontal configuration is a little trickier, but still very doable.   The order book in this configuration has a ton of empty space.  And so does the ticker/history.  If you narrow those 3 by removing the dead space, they should very easily fit on the same row just below the chart, with the order entry form below that. 

If we make this modification, we'll be the only crypto trading platform that I've seen where you can see the price chart, depth chart, order book, ticker/history, and "watch list" (markets) all at the same time.  That would be amazing!  What do you think about doing this, svk?

Thanks for the feedback!

I admit I miss having the history visible myself, so I'll try to make it visible again.

Would be interested in hearing what everyone else thinks about moving the buy/sell entry forms down below the history.

Reducing the vertical space taken by the charts slightly might be a good idea as well, especially on small screens.

My only concern here would be that the price chart is already getting a bit vertically scrunched.  Not to mention, I don't think you could gain enough space to make enough of a difference anyway. 

So it comes down to which elements do you need to see without scrolling, and which do you not mind having to scroll in order to see.  And the best way to think about this is to consider that one only needs to use the order entry form when placing a trade, which is a fraction of the time they are looking at this screen.  On the other hand, assuming the market they want to see is loaded, they are spending the vast majority of time watching market action, which requires price chart, order book, time & sales (history), and depth chart (to a lesser extent). 

By the way, if there's anyone that spends more time using the order entry form vs. watching market action, I would suggest that such a person doesn't need a trading screen.  Instead, they need a simplified UI to exchange one currency for another (e.g. similar to coinbase).

I agree with pretty much everything you said in both posts, so stay tuned ;)

Great.  Really looking forward to seeing the next version!  By the way, do you see making the groups collapsible and giving the user the ability to specify how many rows are visible within each group?  That would be excellent.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile

8)
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

TravelsAsia

Offline svk

@svk:  I really like some of the new changes you made to the trading screen!  Overall, it has a even cleaner look than before.  Also, it's very helpful that more markets are visible at once.  And being able to see both the price and depth charts at the same time is nice.  The only drawback is now the history (aka ticker/tape, aka time & sales) is not visible without scrolling.  That's a biggie.  You really want to be able to see the charts, ticker and order book at the same time (see https://youtu.be/V0-slDuqZNU?t=363).  This is one of the big shortcomings of Poloniex (constantly having to scroll is a nightmare), and a good opportunity for us to be better. 

And the good news is that it's an easy fix because it's really not necessary to see the chart and the order entry form at the same time.  So I would suggest a great improvement would be to move the order entry form down.  So in the vertical order book configuration, you can just move the history/ticker and My Orders up.

Of course, the horizontal configuration is a little trickier, but still very doable.   The order book in this configuration has a ton of empty space.  And so does the ticker/history.  If you narrow those 3 by removing the dead space, they should very easily fit on the same row just below the chart, with the order entry form below that. 

If we make this modification, we'll be the only crypto trading platform that I've seen where you can see the price chart, depth chart, order book, ticker/history, and "watch list" (markets) all at the same time.  That would be amazing!  What do you think about doing this, svk?

Thanks for the feedback!

I admit I miss having the history visible myself, so I'll try to make it visible again.

Would be interested in hearing what everyone else thinks about moving the buy/sell entry forms down below the history.

Reducing the vertical space taken by the charts slightly might be a good idea as well, especially on small screens.

My only concern here would be that the price chart is already getting a bit vertically scrunched.  Not to mention, I don't think you could gain enough space to make enough of a difference anyway. 

So it comes down to which elements do you need to see without scrolling, and which do you not mind having to scroll in order to see.  And the best way to think about this is to consider that one only needs to use the order entry form when placing a trade, which is a fraction of the time they are looking at this screen.  On the other hand, assuming the market they want to see is loaded, they are spending the vast majority of time watching market action, which requires price chart, order book, time & sales (history), and depth chart (to a lesser extent). 

By the way, if there's anyone that spends more time using the order entry form vs. watching market action, I would suggest that such a person doesn't need a trading screen.  Instead, they need a simplified UI to exchange one currency for another (e.g. similar to coinbase).

I agree with pretty much everything you said in both posts, so stay tuned ;)
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline tbone

• View Profile

Thanks for the feedback!