Author Topic: Liquidity idea  (Read 6215 times)

Offline inarizushi

• View Profile
Keep all UIAs.
What I'm saying is we need a master USD smartcoin for fiat.
Use the master as a base smartcoin to create all other fiat smartcoins from.

These other sub smartcoins would hold value in euros or yen etc but couldn't be traded only used to hold value.
They would need to be turned back to BitUSD if you want to do trading.

these sub smartcoins would work by transfering bitusd in to a special EUR wallet which uses a CFD behind the scenes to keep the the value correct by either adding or subtracting Bitusd.

I'm a bit slow with these things.

Lets say I have 1215 BitUSD & I put it into a special Gold wallet because I want to be long 1 ounce of Gold.

Gold then increases by 300% vs. USD.

Where does the additional $2400 come from to pay me my gains. Who loses on that trade?

The blockchain/reserve pool would have to cover these costs. 
But lets get some perspective. For every winning trade there will be a similar number of losing trades which would offset losses and may even make profit.
I think should only be for fiat currencies.
Another way of offsetting any losses would be to charge a 1% fee when users choose to lock their Bitusd to another fiat currency.
Another way to offset this proposed systems excessive long USD position might with prediction markets.

This makes no sense, you don't really seem to understand how BitAssets work.You propose to just get rid of what makes BTS a good technology for a DEX.
Plus, the market peg on BitCNY is much better than with BitUSD, with much more efforts from the Chinese geared toward that. Getting rid of BitCNY would be completely disdainful.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

tarantulaz

Hey guys, @tbone refered me this thread. In return I would like to refer people to this thread : https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,21591.0.html
I am talking about Dash, Bitcoin and Nubits and Liquidity ideas. I would agree to drop all pairs other than BitUSD, BitCNY and BitBTC, and focus mainly on BitUSD. However, if the famous Chinese holders prefered to see CNY to be the main asset, I wouldn't mind.

Again, I think we need to gather both liquidity from specific providers like Openledger, Blocktrades and Metaexchange as well as others, however that should probably come after people start earning interest on their trades (open to any reasonable proposal). Because if liquidity providers could have extra incentives and could actually have more people trading, they could exponentially increase their earning. Thing of profitting by spreads, interest and probably some additional reward. Who wouldn't wanna provide liquidity?

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
    • twitter.com/jonnybitcoin
Keep all UIAs.

These other sub smartcoins would hold value in euros or yen etc but couldn't be traded only used to hold value.

these sub smartcoins would work by transfering bitusd in to a special EUR wallet which uses a CFD behind the scenes to keep the the value correct by either adding or subtracting Bitusd.

Lets say I have 1215 BitUSD & I put it into a special Gold wallet because I want to be long 1 ounce of Gold.

Where does the additional $2400 come from to pay me my gains. Who loses on that trade?

The blockchain/reserve pool would have to cover these costs. 
But lets get some perspective. For every winning trade there will be a similar number of losing trades which would offset losses and may even make profit.
I think should only be for fiat currencies.
Another way of offsetting any losses would be to charge a 1% fee when users choose to lock their Bitusd to another fiat currency.
Another way to offset this proposed systems excessive long USD position might with prediction markets.

I run the @bitshares twitter handle
twitter.com/bitshares

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

P.S. The idea to focus on BitUSD pairs was not tony's by any stretch.  @bytemaster made the point during a mumble several weeks ago.  And then @JonnyBitcoin resurrected the idea a couple of weeks ago on one of his liquidity threads here on the forum.  Tony simply added the idea to his recent forking proposal, which incorporated perhaps a couple decent ideas, but unfortunately for everyone is an overall abomination on many levels.

The idea of focusing on one (few) core markets is a common sense. I have never claimed I came up with it.
 For the rest - the made up version and reasoning that exist in your head (and there only) of my suggestion is totally disgusting, I agree. But that is still a pure  calumniation on your behalf and nothing more.

------------------

Jonny, I am still unclear on how this works (Hence the no on topic posts)

"bitusd can then be moved into other fiat denominated accounts where its value is locked/auto hedged to whatever currency you want. "
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 03:00:43 am by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
Keep all UIAs.

If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
Keep all UIAs.

twitter.com/bitshares

Offline tbone

• View Profile
  • BitShares: tbone2
I think this is the least of our worries atm, but assume that is adopted and the chinese community says: Why bitusd and not bitcny? It's always unfair to have one over the other.

Either way, I think this makes sense. It kind of reminds of Tonyk's idea but doesn't feel so "restricted".

I agree with @cylonmaker2053 that we should not shut down all smartcoins other than BitUSD.  But the UI is a clusterf*uck of trading pairs and while it might not be the biggest problem we have, it IS a problem and it only compounds other problems.  Ideally we would limit the trading pairs as @JonnyBitcoin mentioned -- primarily to those pairs most commonly traded in the "real world".  Although it might be possible that organizing/grouping the pairs differently in the UI will make a big difference.  Let's wait and see what @svk comes up with on that front (hopefully any day now). 

In the meantime, I think we should give VERY serious consideration to @Empirical1.2's idea to incentivize creation of BitAssets via yield harvesting.  I think we should do that, at least with a small amount of dilution, for both BitUSD and BitCNY in equal amounts (accounting for exchange rate).  To a smaller degree, I would also incentivize creation of BitEUR in the same manner as BitUSD and BitCNY. 

It is critical to start getting BitAssets in people's hands, otherwise @kenCode's POS system will be DEAD ON ARRIVAL or shortly thereafter.  By the way, I would also reward liquidity providers in the key markets, starting with BitUSD:BTS and BitUSD:BitCNY...followed by BitUSD:BitEUR....and then others as we gain traction. 

So we don't have to kill off any smartcoins or even any trading pairs.  Let's just take measures to bootstrap key markets in a smart, systematic manner. 

P.S. The idea to focus on BitUSD pairs was not tony's by any stretch.  @bytemaster made the point during a mumble several weeks ago.  And then @JonnyBitcoin resurrected the idea a couple of weeks ago on one of his liquidity threads here on the forum.  Tony simply added the idea to his recent forking proposal, which incorporated perhaps a couple decent ideas, but unfortunately for everyone is an overall abomination on many levels.

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053
I'm not convinced there's enough value in shutting down the few other smartcoin markets (i'm assuming you don't mean UIAs since those trade for different reasons) to try to channel those volumes into bitUSD. it's not that i'm 100% against the idea, it's worth exploring, i just have a modest preference for the way things are now. i trade every day on three of the markets. sure, i'd like more volume, but i also really like having the option to trade these three (USD, SILVER, BTC). there are other ways to get volume that don't involve shutting down trading pairs; it's also possible bitUSD doesn't capture an appreciable amount of the action from the other pairs.

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
I think this is the least of our worries atm, but assume that is adopted and the chinese community says: Why bitusd and not bitcny? It's always unfair to have one over the other.

Either way, I think this makes sense. It kind of reminds of Tonyk's idea but doesn't feel so "restricted".
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
Even the biggest markets and exchanges limit their market pairs, it makes for deeper liquid markets.

Gold traders in the UK and around the world trade GOLD:USD not GBP:USD same goes for the oil.

in the UK we think and quote barrels of oil  in USD and so does the rest of the world. There's not really a wholesale electronic marketplace for OIL:GBP

If the biggest markets in the world with huge volumes and 1000s of professional traders limit their trade pairs to just 1 then we certainly need to with our pathetic volumes we have at the moment.

bitstamp limits their trade pairs to just one BTC:USD and they are doing fine.
twitter.com/bitshares

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053
#1 i see the value in restricting to a single smartcoin to get at least one market functioning properly, but what about simply denominating the other assets in asset-bitUSD pairs? e.g. keep the other existing markets, but change SILVER-BTS to SILVER-bitUSD. bitUSD would be the entry point into the DEX.

but... #2 i'm torn bc i see the value in working hard to get one market working well, but i also really like the flexibility and openness of the current system. we have a great model, just missing serious capital and more traders. changing the model has risks that may not be worthwhile, effort perhaps better spent marketing to traders and institutions that could potentially find our infrastructure valuable. 

Offline Vizzini

• View Profile
  • BitShares: vizzini
Most of my posts are garbage. For once, I'm going to be 100% serious.

I actually love this idea. Get rid of Smartcoins and focus energy on what works. Thread everything else through one asset and go from there. Really.
Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
Remove all smartcoins except BitUSD.
keep the witness price feeds.

Those who want to hold euros yen gold or pounds have to buy bitusd.

bitusd can then be moved into other fiat denominated accounts where its value is locked/auto hedged to whatever currency you want.

this new fiatpegged bitasset  could be transferred but not traded. in order to trade you would have to move it back to your bitusd wallet.

(only for fiat, cryptocoins need to be sidechains)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 01:06:12 am by JonnyBitcoin »
twitter.com/bitshares