Author Topic: Overall Navigation  (Read 3625 times)

Offline svk

I agree with tbone here, we shouldn't simplify this further. I'll change Account to My Account as well, theoretically it doesn't need to be your own account because you could have an empty wallet and follow one other account, but that use case probably isn't very common..
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
+5% i'm obsessive with having 3 of stuff. like, best thing about stealth is we can fill out the missing 12th square on the bitshares.org frontpage  :D

Offline tbone

• View Profile
  • BitShares: tbone2
The big problem is with the organization of markets on the Trade page.  But svk is in the process of making some very exciting changes.  I'm looking forward to that!

Merging option might not be the best way to solve it, but I think people like to act from the perspective of a single, concrete user, and the allocentric logical perspective breaks with this. For instance, most people won't have more than one account, which makes the dashboards "home" location confusing. As I see it better to have a drop down menu for switching accounts, and a "see all" option than to have a dedicated overview page of all the accounts and recent activity.

If you have only one account, it doesn't say "Dasboard", it says "Account".  Actually, I think this is where we could make an improvement.  Perhaps instead of "Account", it should say "My Account" (or "My Accounts" if they have more than one account).  That would be easy enough.  @svk: what do you think about this? 

Also, I agree that it would make sense to have a dropdown to switch between accounts if you have more than one.  I also agree that we should be able to see the activity of each account individually, or all combined, as you described.   Obviously this would take a little more work and although I think it's important, I think getting the Trade page right is of paramount importance because we need to jumpstart the DEX ASAP. 

Also, it's really not a problem to have 4 main menu items.  Navigation is easy enough.

I don't care about pushing through any particular changes, but I do think we should be very careful with how many buttons and options we present the users with when they first enter the page. Marketing research shows even font color much less an extra button or field can drop conversions by tens of percent. The ratios of people dropping at the first 30 seconds of using the wallet at this stage is far more significant than the gains we get from new features.

I know what you're saying, although since this is more of a reference wallet to showcase all functionality, I am personally less concerned about this than I might be otherwise.   Besides, I really do think a main menu with the following 4 choices is almost as simple as it gets:   

My Account       Explore       Trade        Transfer   

Offline CLains

• View Profile
The big problem is with the organization of markets on the Trade page.  But svk is in the process of making some very exciting changes.  I'm looking forward to that!

Merging option might not be the best way to solve it, but I think people like to act from the perspective of a single, concrete user, and the allocentric logical perspective breaks with this. For instance, most people won't have more than one account, which makes the dashboards "home" location confusing. As I see it better to have a drop down menu for switching accounts, and a "see all" option than to have a dedicated overview page of all the accounts and recent activity.

Also, it's really not a problem to have 4 main menu items.  Navigation is easy enough.

I don't care about pushing through any particular changes, but I do think we should be very careful with how many buttons and options we present the users with when they first enter the page. Marketing research shows even font color much less an extra button or field can drop conversions by tens of percent. The ratios of people dropping at the first 30 seconds of using the wallet at this stage is far more significant than the gains we get from new features.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 11:06:26 am by CLains »

Offline tbone

• View Profile
The exchange part of the wallet is getting really good!

Now I think the overall navigation is our bottleneck. One quick suggestion I would have is merge "dashboard" and "explore" - both of those screens are navigational. Second, I suggest relabel "trade" "Exchange" or "Market." That way there would be three buttons instead of four, "Dashboard" -"Exchange" - "Transfer".

The overall navigation is what governs how the users that enter the interface end up clicking things. If we want liquidity, we should direct the attention of the user towards the exchange. It would help to have a trollbox there as well. There could also be a fancy title somewhere saying "Decentralized Exchange" to remind the user that they are participating in something extraordinary.

Well that's just some of my random suggestions. Let us use this thread for suggestions to the overall navigation, how we should direct the focus of the users entering the wallet.

I would highly recommend against merging "Dashboard" and "Explore".  For one thing, that would be way too much packed under one menu item.  But more importantly, it is much more logical to keep them separate.  Keep in mind that "Dashboard" contains information and settings relating specifically to your account(s).  Whereas "Explore" contains several different information lookups that have nothing to do with your specific account. 

Also, it's really not a problem to have 4 main menu items.  Navigation is easy enough.  The big problem is with the organization of markets on the Trade page.  But svk is in the process of making some very exciting changes.  I'm looking forward to that!

Offline tbone

• View Profile
I think the day feature will be a very important addition.

i can't  +5% this enough.  I also argue the default should be day.

Day mode would be a nice option to help satisfy more users, although I personally like night mode.

Offline tbone

• View Profile
I like the Open Orders page, just wish it didn't take several clicks and having to leave the exchange to get there.

Day mode can't come soon enough.  :)

It actually does make sense for open orders to be under the Account menu item because it's specific to your account, whereas the exchange page shows information specific to the selected market.  Also, it's actually only 2 clicks to get to the Open Orders.  Getting back to the exchange is just 1 click. 

Having said that, the Open Orders page does feel disconnected from the rest of the trading functionality.  For that reason I would propose that another view of open orders can be displayed in My Orders on the exchange.  There could be 2 radio buttons in the My Orders header to select between "current market" and "all markets".  Also, it would be much more clear for the header to be labeled "My Open Orders" as opposed to "My Orders" since the user's orders (the closed ones) are shown in My History. 

Hopefully @svk agrees.

Offline mint chocolate chip

I like the Open Orders page, just wish it didn't take several clicks and having to leave the exchange to get there.

Day mode can't come soon enough.  :)

TravelsAsia

i can't  +5% this enough.  I also argue the default should be day.

Offline Louis

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
I agree. Also People seem to struggle finding the "voting" board. Ive seen it in the forums and eu experienced it myself
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline CLains

• View Profile
Let us use this thread for suggestions to the overall navigation, how we should direct the focus of the users entering the wallet.

One quick suggestion I would have is merge "dashboard" and "explore" - both of those screens are navigational. Second, I suggest relabel "trade" "Exchange" or "Market." That way there would be three buttons instead of four, "Dashboard" -"Exchange" - "Transfer".

The overall navigation is what governs how the users that enter the interface end up clicking things. If we want liquidity, we should direct the attention of the user towards the exchange. It would help to have a trollbox there as well. There could also be a fancy title somewhere saying "Decentralized Exchange" to remind the user that they are participating in something extraordinary.

Well that's just some of my random suggestions.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 12:25:54 am by CLains »