Author Topic: Backup account  (Read 5214 times)

Offline svk

Last I checked when importing a backup you have to create a new wallet, so are you sure you're using the correct wallet? Go to Settings -> Wallet Management Console -> Active Wallet box -> Change Wallet and you'll get a dropdown containing all the the wallets in your database.

If you see "Follow" instead of "Ignore" that means the wallet you're using does not contain the private keys for that account, simple as that, so if that's the case trying to make transfers will always fail.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
Are you sure you clicked the "RESTORE WALLET" button and not the "IMPORT KEYS" button? The former works with the .bin file while the later can only be used with .json files.

OK: step by step what I do
1. click SETTINGS....upper right corner
2. click MANAGEMENT CONSOLE
3. click in the field: RESTORE BACKUP
4: IMPORT BACKUP (browse) import Bin .. next Password

and all works now, but when I click on upper left ACCOUNT, I see my account MEA123 + Account#
under the account#  I see
UNFOLLOW
PAY
I click PAY and enter in FROM my Account name mea123..
it says "Not your account" so I cant send funds

supposed to be ( at least thats what my account says on my Laptop)
IGNORE
PAY

I hope this is pretty clear and you can help!
thanks
If you can still see "IGNORE" from your laptop, try make a backup again: Settings (right-top gear icon) -> wallet management console (bottom) -> create backup.

ok just did a new backup, nothing changed, ( still IGNOR ) do I have to do more than just "save the bin"?
How did you restore? step by step?

* go to wallet management console
* click restore backup. If there is already a file name shown, click reset, then click restore backup again.
* choose file
* enter password, click verify
* set a name, click accept
* click restore
* click done

I dont like to sound funny, but I have done what you said I should do, I still have the "IGNORE: underneath my account name followed by "PAY"
If you did nothing wrong, sorry I can't help you.

You need to provide more information (which I don't know what it will be), then maybe @svk or @jcalfee1  can help.

Anyway, the good news is, as long as you can still access your account from your laptop, it's not lost. You can export the owner key and active key of your account, then import them to a wallet in another computer. Steps of exporting: your account->permissions->owner permissions tab (and active permissions later)->click the key->click "show". Steps of importing: settings -> wallet management console -> import keys.

BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline mea123

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mea123
Are you sure you clicked the "RESTORE WALLET" button and not the "IMPORT KEYS" button? The former works with the .bin file while the later can only be used with .json files.

and all works now, but when I click on upper left ACCOUNT, I see my account MEA123 + Account#
UNFOLLOW
PAY

IGNORE
PAY

thanks
If you can still see "IGNORE" from your laptop, try make a backup again: Settings (right-top gear icon) -> wallet management console (bottom) -> create backup.

ok just did a new backup, nothing changed, ( still IGNOR ) do I have to do more than just "save the bin"?

* click restore backup. If there is already a file name shown, click reset, then click restore backup again.
* choose file
* click restore
* click done

I dont like to sound funny, but I have done what you said I should do, I still have the "IGNORE: underneath my account name followed by "PAY"

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog

UNFOLLOW
PAY

IGNORE
PAY

thanks

* choose file
* click restore
* click done

Offline noisy

Hello
my name is Rainer and I am brand new member  of openleger !

actually.... you don't :P openledger is just wallet provider. But for sure you are new member of our Bitshares community :)

There are many wallet providers:

http://www.btswolf.com/wallets/

and another are under development: https://moonstone.io/
Take a look on: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,19625.msg251894.html - I have a crazy idea - lets convince cryptonomex developers to use livecoding.tv

Offline mea123

• View Profile

UNFOLLOW
PAY

IGNORE
PAY

thanks

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog

UNFOLLOW
PAY

IGNORE
PAY

thanks

Offline mea123

• View Profile
That can't be the same outcome ..

If you import your backup and it finds an account .. you will get "account" in the top navigation and when you click it you will be in YOUR account .. there will not be a follow or unfollow button.

If there was no account in that backup (which can AFAIK not happen either) .. then you won't see "Account" or "Overview" on the top navigation.

Yes Sir, you are 100% right, this was the case already, when I did follow your suggestion

what I am saying is
under the account name

mea123
a square to click on and in the square says the following

UNFOLLOW ( I click on and it changes to FOLLOW and the upper corner changes to "Create Account"
+
PAY
with this I can NOT make any  transactions because..
I click PAY and enter my Account Name mea123..

a square to click on and in the square says the following

IGNORE
+
PAY
click on pay
with this I can make transactions

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
That can't be the same outcome ..

If you import your backup and it finds an account .. you will get "account" in the top navigation and when you click it you will be in YOUR account .. there will not be a follow or unfollow button.

If there was no account in that backup (which can AFAIK not happen either) .. then you won't see "Account" or "Overview" on the top navigation.

Offline mea123

• View Profile
My guess would be that you import your backup as a new wallet and still have the old wallet active ..
if you go to the wallet management console .. you should see a button that allows you to change wallets ..
take a look at the others (if there are any)

I try your suggestion,
outcome is the same as I explained before

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
My guess would be that you import your backup as a new wallet and still have the old wallet active ..
if you go to the wallet management console .. you should see a button that allows you to change wallets ..
take a look at the others (if there are any)

Offline mea123

• View Profile

UNFOLLOW
PAY

IGNORE
PAY

thanks

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline mea123

• View Profile
the bts_default.bin file is a file that contains your private keys (encrypted with your passphrase)
Please try to recover it from your trash bin
The letters with the SHA1 are useless for recovery.

Hi
from your trash bin...how or where can I find my trash bin..thanks

That's only if you've deleted it. If you have that file, just copy it to your other computer and import it to OpenLedger there.

Edit: And that's the correct backup file, Windows is just saying it's a VLC file because VLC for some reason registers that extension.

Thanks for the tip..
sadly I try to import it , but it comes back to say :
INVALID WALLET FORMAT

Offline svk

the bts_default.bin file is a file that contains your private keys (encrypted with your passphrase)
Please try to recover it from your trash bin
The letters with the SHA1 are useless for recovery.

Hi
from your trash bin...how or where can I find my trash bin..thanks

That's only if you've deleted it. If you have that file, just copy it to your other computer and import it to OpenLedger there.

Edit: And that's the correct backup file, Windows is just saying it's a VLC file because VLC for some reason registers that extension.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks