Author Topic: Of all the worker projects on the table, making the DEX faster should be #1  (Read 6650 times)

Offline cylonmaker2053

• Saving the world one block at a time
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: cylonmaker2053
Same latency issues today. I'm having a horrible time trying to keep up with the market, adjusting open orders taking far too long per order, some of them timing out bc of the delays. We're a new technology, so i get that we'll have technical growing pains, but this really needs to be a community priority to fix.

Tried to change the Api Connection in the settings?

yes sir, that's usually the first thing i do; still, i'm thinking about the impression that'd be made on new users to the trading platform. sometimes the API swap works, other times it's still slow.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
Same latency issues today. I'm having a horrible time trying to keep up with the market, adjusting open orders taking far too long per order, some of them timing out bc of the delays. We're a new technology, so i get that we'll have technical growing pains, but this really needs to be a community priority to fix.
Imo as a market maker, you should use your own witness_node.  :P
Good news is that bug mentioned above is solved yesterday, so the speed will be improved after next hard fork.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline Bhuz

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bhuz

Tried to change the Api Connection in the settings?

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist

Offline EstefanTT

For me is about 5 sec from Tx click to have the confirmation windows, click it and have it confirmed.
I running the light client, maybe it's fatser ?
Bit20, the cryptocurrency index fund http://www.bittwenty.com
(BitShares French ConneXion - www.bitsharesfcx.com)

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
@cylonmaker2053  Yeah I had some delays before as well and assumed it was my computer/connection.  Can you test trading a little bit on: https://bts.bitcash.org and let me know if you experience the same lag?  It's our faucet wallet.  Thanks!

cool i'll check it out later today when i have more time. thanks...

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
Not sure why you're having issues but I would guess it's related to your internet connection. There's a fix coming up that enables compression of the websocket data from the witness_node which might help.

There's also a huge bug that causes the witness_node to send out useless unchanged objects on every block but no one seems interested in taking that on. @abit think you could handle that one?

sounds like that's a great project to tackle. Anything that improves the user experience is a great idea.

sometimes i have these issues when at a cafe with slow wifi and i'm connecting through a VPN, but what happened last night was while at home with very good connection.

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
A workaround:

Try a different API connection server.  If this is still too slow, run your own node.

yeah, i've tinkered with switching API connection; sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. Still, improving these kinds of performance issues should be the #1 priority, especially as we get new traders to experiment with the DEX.

Offline merivercap

• View Profile
    • BitCash
@cylonmaker2053  Yeah I had some delays before as well and assumed it was my computer/connection.  Can you test trading a little bit on: https://bts.bitcash.org and let me know if you experience the same lag?  It's our faucet wallet.  Thanks!
BitCash - http://www.bitcash.org 
Beta: bitCash Wallet / p2p Gateway: (https://m.bitcash.org)
Beta: bitCash Trade (https://trade.bitcash.org)

Offline svk

Not sure why you're having issues but I would guess it's related to your internet connection. There's a fix coming up that enables compression of the websocket data from the witness_node which might help.

There's also a huge bug that causes the witness_node to send out useless unchanged objects on every block but no one seems interested in taking that on. @abit think you could handle that one?
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
A workaround:

Try a different API connection server.  If this is still too slow, run your own node.
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline cylonmaker2053

• View Profile
We've come a long way with the technology and have an awesome platform, but the openledger interface still takes way too long to trade. i'm trying to rearrange my open positions to react to changing market prices, and it's taking me, on average, about 30-60 seconds to execute each trade. that's from when i click either Buy, Sell, or Cancel ...it takes sometimes that long just for the confirmation window to pop up, and far too often trades expire unexecuted bc it took too long.

There are a variety of interesting new feature proposals floating around the community for debate, but compared to any of those the relative value of continuing to tighten up and improve the DEX experience should be priority #1.

For starters, does anyone know why we're having such variability in interface latency? Sometimes it works fairly quickly (but should still be constantly improved), but times like this are so frustrating when i'm trying to place a few dozen orders at once. it shouldn't take me 30 minutes to get in my trades.