Author Topic: What is better name for "Rate Limited Free Transactions" feature?  (Read 5409 times)

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha
Can you explain what exactly is rate-limiting in abit's implementation?

There is no hard limit on the tx rate. I never understood BM's original idea in such a way.

In my understanding the idea is to allow a certain rate of free transactions, and discourage exceeding that "limit" by requiring fees (or more locked capital) for additional transactions.

The original blogpost is IMO quite clear: How to build a Decentralized Application without Fees

The point is to have a blockchain that doesn't use fees. Instead it limits the amount of transactions that users can make and that is a hardcoded limit. It can be exceeded only by buying more core asset that gives a right to make more transactions.

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
Can you explain what exactly is rate-limiting in abit's implementation?

There is no hard limit on the tx rate. I never understood BM's original idea in such a way.

In my understanding the idea is to allow a certain rate of free transactions, and discourage exceeding that "limit" by requiring fees (or more locked capital) for additional transactions.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
Ok, maybe I've understood something wrong. Can you explain what exactly is rate-limiting in abit's implementation? I'm guessing that's the way we are going, it has already gained so much support.

In Bytemaster's original post the rate limitation is a way of preventing spam. Users can make transactions depending how much they own the core token. When they have used their quota, that's it. Transactions are limited for them until they have waited for some time, then they can make transactions again.

In abit's implementation we are still using fees to prevent spam, not rate-limitations. Users can make transactions as much as they like, they have to pay either with feecredits or with BTS or asset they are transacting.

Talking abour @abit's implementation, if shareholders earn a tradable token for fees .. we could literally establish a 'fee-market' .. people can buy fees or become a BTS shareholder

I don't think that feecredits are meant to be tradable. That would change the system in a very different way and I don't see any immediate advantage with that. It just makes things more complicated than they need to be.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I agree with karnal. Rate-limitation is the technically correct term .. but no one precents us from using something like 'blockchain boost' as a marketing name ..

Talking abour @abit's implementation, if shareholders earn a tradable token for fees .. we could literally establish a 'fee-market' .. people can buy fees or become a BTS shareholder

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Rate-limited free transactions is a concise explanation, nothing in it is Bitshares specific.

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
In Bytemaster's original blog post the rate limiting of transactions was important piece of the system, but abit's implementation is more like "subsidized transactions" kind of system, where users are given credits which they can use to pay for transactions.

While the original idea and the abit's implementation accomplish pretty much the same outcome, mechanics are still very different.

After the credits are used, there are no limits for use of Bitshares – users just have to pay normal fees for transactions just like they do now. Talking about "rate limitations" will be very confusing for newbies because in reality there is nothing limiting in abit's implementation.

From a marketing perspective the name "rate limited free transactions" is really bad because it's so confusing. We need to come up with a better name.

Imagine that you are total newbie, you don't know anything about Bitshares. You go to the website. What there should be written so that you understand immediately what this feature is about and how it works?