Author Topic: When does inflation decrease? We should make more people aware of that  (Read 4950 times)

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
  • BitShares: samupaha
A way of convincing the market that it won't happen again is more significant than the end of inflation which is already priced in  ;D

Very good point.
Don't easily change the rule again like it 's a bed game with girlfriend.

Isn't it clear to everybody that after we changed to 2.0 it's pretty much impossible to add new BTS to the total supply? Should we somehow advertize it more or what?

Bitshares is very flexible system, but as far as I see, changing fundamentals like total BTS supply or the rate how much BTS is taken out from reserve pool are really, really difficult to change even if there was considerable part of shareholders demanding that.

Offline deer

• View Profile
A way of convincing the market that it won't happen again is more significant than the end of inflation which is already priced in  ;D

Very good point.
Don't easily change the rule again like it 's a bed game with girlfriend.

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado

Is it? Maybe it's just me but I'm not convinced that many people know about this. Or at least that it is to decrease within the next 7 months
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
If we want to maximize the impact, I think the best thing to do is wait until the vesting period is over and then make everyone aware about that. If we start advertising it now, markets will slowly adapt the information and nothing happens when vesting is finally over. Information is already in the price.

But if it's not generally known, there is a good chance for price rally.
- "Oh, so that's why BTS price has been so low and now it doesn't happen anymore! I have to buy it before anybody else realizes the same thing! Quick, buy buy buy!"

And again I'd like to remind that Bitshares doesn't have inflation. When we are talking about releasing funds from vesting, that's what we should talk about. If you talk about inflation people will think that new BTS is created, which isn't true. BTS has been already created, it just have been non-transferable for a certain period.

As far as the markets are concered "non-transferable for a certain period" (and slowly released?) is the same thing as bts being created. One could argue that 21million bitcoin have already been created but are just not transferable until they are mined.

Could someone direct me to a place where I can see the (transferable) supply of Bitshares... perhaps a chart over time?

There are two.

One was the BTS merger that took place on Nov 5th 2014 which took BTSX which had 2 Billion shares and merged it with a few other BitShares DACs creating a single BTS that had 2.5 Billion shares. Those shares are already accounted for in the current supply but they were actually vested and are being released at a rate of about 700 000 BTS a day until Nov 5th 2016.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=844038.msg9413467#msg9413467

The other way market supply of BTS increases is via the reserve pool. The maximum is 432000 BTS a day but in practice it's much lower than that. https://bitshares.org/technology/stakeholder-approved-project-funding/
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 03:16:41 pm by Empirical1.2 »
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline Akado

• View Profile
If we want to maximize the impact, I think the best thing to do is wait until the vesting period is over and then make everyone aware about that. If we start advertising it now, markets will slowly adapt the information and nothing happens when vesting is finally over. Information is already in the price.

- "Oh, so that's why BTS price has been so low and now it doesn't happen anymore! I have to buy it before anybody else realizes the same thing! Quick, buy buy buy!"

And again I'd like to remind that Bitshares doesn't have inflation. When we are talking about releasing funds from vesting, that's what we should talk about. If you talk about inflation people will think that new BTS is created, which isn't true. BTS has been already created, it just have been non-transferable for a certain period.

That's a good point.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile
As far as the markets are concered "non-transferable for a certain period" (and slowly released?) is the same thing as bts being created. One could argue that 21million bitcoin have already been created but are just not transferable until they are mined.

Yeah, but it's better to let markets do that analysis by themselves. People have been complaining that Bitshares is complicated and they don't understand it, so we should use every possibility to make things clearer. It doesn't help if we are not using proper terms. If we talk about inflation newbies can understand it that we have same kind of system than other cryptocurrencies – which is totally wrong, because we have the reserve pool where funds are constantly flowing in and out.

Bitcoin is a different case because nobody owns new coins. They are paid as a salary. Vested balances in Bitshares are already paid, they are owned.

Could someone direct me to a place where I can see the (transferable) supply of Bitshares... perhaps a chart over time?

This shows the reserve pool: http://cryptofresh.com/reserve

Offline KenMonkey

• View Profile
  • BitShares: kmnk

Offline Samupaha

• View Profile

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
The stupid, idiotic, merger dilution stops in November.  Then inflation is really low, just what is being paid to workers.

We should have a countdown for that on the main page, its like a halving, only better because it cuts it by more than 50%

+5% * 2

Offline Akado

• View Profile
The stupid, idiotic, merger dilution stops in November.  Then inflation is really low, just what is being paid to workers.

We should have a countdown for that on the main page, its like a halving, only better because it cuts it by more than 50%

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander

Offline Akado

• View Profile

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
I think there are about 700 000 vesting BTS being released a day which ends on Nov 5th I think.

I don't know what %  have been claiming (& selling) their vesting BTS but we should see a significant reduction in BTS selling pressure once that's done which will be a big positive.

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,14862.msg192865.html#msg192865
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline yvv

• View Profile