Author Topic: rely on the rule or rely on the moral?  (Read 2142 times)

Offline sasashui

• BTS ID : sasashui
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: sasashui
This story is for all those leaders who feel they are fighting against the tide

THE STORY OF THE CRAB BUCKET

One time a man was walking along the beach and say another man fishing in the surf with a bait bucket beside him. As he drew closer, he saw that the bait bucket had no lid and had live crabs inside.
"Why don't you cover your bait bucket so the crabs won't escape?", he said.
"You don't understand.", the man replied, "If there is one crab in the bucket it would surely crawl out very quickly. However, when there are many crabs in the bucket, if one tries to crawl up the side, the others grab hold of it and pull it back down so that it will share the same fate as the rest of them."

So it is with people. If one tries to do something different, get better grades, improve herself, escape her environment, or dream big dreams, other people will try to drag her back down to share their fate.

Moral of the story: Ignore the crabs. Charge ahead and do what is right for you. It may not be easy and you may not succeed as much as you like, but you will NEVER share the same fate as those never try.

We have been enriched by the talents of people who have had less than "perfect" bodies, whether by birth, accident or disease - Helen Keller, F.D. Roosevelt, Stephen Hawking, George Bush, Stevie Wonder, Christopher Reeve, to name just a few. They chose to "climb the crab bucket" instead of listening to others.

I have an alternative view on the Crab Bucket. This is how society enforces rules without having to put a lid on the bucket.  Namely, we don't need to make it impossible for someone to vote for themselves because moral outrage will cause others to pull them back into the bucket. 

Conclusion: both MORAL and the RULE.  The rule sets the expectation even if it isn't perfect, the moral enforces the rule.
Yeah, you are right . "The rule sets the expectation even if it isn't perfect, the moral enforces the rule“  ,I'v got it .Thinks very much .+5%  ,I like this story !

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
The Crab bucket is a story for anyone trying to better themselves beyond their current conditions/surroundings and has many iterations, in the UK it's often referred to as the tall poppy syndrome.

The tall poppy syndrome is a pejorative term primarily used in the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, and other Anglosphere nations to describe a social phenomenon in which people of genuine merit are resented, attacked, cut down, or criticised because their talents or achievements elevate them above or distinguish them from their peers. This is similar to begrudgery, the resentment or envy of the success of a peer.

A similar saying occurs in Chinese and Japanese culture that translates to "The nail that stands out gets hammered down".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tall_poppy_syndrome

Within the context of a company though, shareholders are fairly united in their goal of climbing out of the bucket (making BTS successful) though you could argue that competing views on how to get that done can sometimes result in no-one leaving the bucket.

I think the social phenomena that's most applicable to leaders within a shareholder/company setting is 'You're only as good as your last game/fight/success/movie'.

So you will find after a string of successes a leader can be revered/elevated to god-like status and everyone will follow his path out of the bucket even when it's a bad route/idea and conversely after a string of what shareholders perceive to be poor decisions/results a leader will struggle even when the ideas are good. If a leader finds himself in the latter situation he would need to build a platform again on smaller successes or demonstrate his ability to add value in another way.
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline sasashui

• BTS ID : sasashui
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: sasashui
Fuck, the crab story is so touching. Complete bullshit, but tear dropping bullshit. For those who have hard time to choose between moral or rules, you guys go check yourself with your doctor for mental disorder.  Because a healthy human would never have such contradiction.
Have you seen "crazy zootopia" ? everyone looks so nice as it appeared, however ......  as you know, The United States is base on rule .  So,we can't demand 38   polo  you  and me not to get any dividend, right ?
Maybe this is a good way to get "POS" ,it  can get rid of "Voter Apathy" @bytemaster https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,22051.0.html what's your opinion?  I agree with some valuable work ,and I want some dividend too.
Let PO(work) vs "POS" ! why not ?

Offline yvv

• View Profile
Fuck, the crab story is so touching. Complete bullshit, but tear dropping bullshit. For those who have hard time to choose between moral or rules, you guys go check yourself with your doctor for mental disorder.  Because a healthy human would never have such contradiction.

Offline bytemaster

This story is for all those leaders who feel they are fighting against the tide

THE STORY OF THE CRAB BUCKET

One time a man was walking along the beach and say another man fishing in the surf with a bait bucket beside him. As he drew closer, he saw that the bait bucket had no lid and had live crabs inside.
"Why don't you cover your bait bucket so the crabs won't escape?", he said.
"You don't understand.", the man replied, "If there is one crab in the bucket it would surely crawl out very quickly. However, when there are many crabs in the bucket, if one tries to crawl up the side, the others grab hold of it and pull it back down so that it will share the same fate as the rest of them."

So it is with people. If one tries to do something different, get better grades, improve herself, escape her environment, or dream big dreams, other people will try to drag her back down to share their fate.

Moral of the story: Ignore the crabs. Charge ahead and do what is right for you. It may not be easy and you may not succeed as much as you like, but you will NEVER share the same fate as those never try.

We have been enriched by the talents of people who have had less than "perfect" bodies, whether by birth, accident or disease - Helen Keller, F.D. Roosevelt, Stephen Hawking, George Bush, Stevie Wonder, Christopher Reeve, to name just a few. They chose to "climb the crab bucket" instead of listening to others.

I have an alternative view on the Crab Bucket. This is how society enforces rules without having to put a lid on the bucket.  Namely, we don't need to make it impossible for someone to vote for themselves because moral outrage will cause others to pull them back into the bucket. 

Conclusion: both MORAL and the RULE.  The rule sets the expectation even if it isn't perfect, the moral enforces the rule.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline freedom

• View Profile
That‘s no doubt about that poloniex、btc38 had make a contribution to the BTS,I think they can creat a worker and vote himself ,
Maybe you will say they are crazy ,but The capital market is always crazy.
assuming that some has many BTS, or he can get many votes like this ,creat a worker and vote hinself , but he doesn't work ,so what?
Rely on the moral ? or rely on the rule ?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 09:46:12 am by freedom »