Author Topic: STEALTH Status Update  (Read 36229 times)

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
Been out for awhile. Last I heard, stealth was coming out around March.

That clearly didn't happen. What is the plan with the GUI these days? Is it still being actively developed?

@karnal
Yes, BitShares Munich is getting up to speed now on blinded transactions at the very least, so for the next two weeks, that team (our team is growing due to this increased demand) is going to be working on this. See my comments regarding IPFS, as we may be working on a side project soon (funded separately) that will pay for a bts blockchain and IPFS utility. The IPNS naming scheme will be used as well, this can solve the DNS issues that I was tackling over a year ago (see the DDNS threads). Stealth is not dead, I assure you.
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Been out for awhile. Last I heard, stealth was coming out around March.

That clearly didn't happen. What is the plan with the GUI these days? Is it still being actively developed?

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise
Ok, so storing the backups on the blockchain is a bad idea, at least in the sense that it would become risky for the user if they ever forgot their password.

I have been looking at IPFS quite a bit lately for distributed data storage and sharing. We could use our keys with this protocol i think and never have to worry about storing our backups or other data and referencing it on our blockchain since the hash itself is used for the lookup of the file(s). Would this solve the stealth backup issue if we integrate with IPFS?

Intro: https://youtu.be/HUVmypx9HGI
Demo: https://youtu.be/8CMxDNuuAiQ
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Dangerous as, not very stealthy?

The security of something like stealth increases when more people use it. When only a few people use it then it's not very stealthy or private.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

bitimaru

Dangerous as, not very stealthy?

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
So from what I am getting, stealth doesn't work...

Stealth does work.  Its just not user friendly, and is thus dangerous. 
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Can smartcoin balances be blinded and sent (bitGOLD? bitUSD? etc?)
yes

Offline Erlich Bachman

• I'm a pro
    • View Profile
Can smartcoin balances be blinded and sent (bitGOLD? bitUSD? etc?)
You own the network, but who pays for development?

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
So from what I am getting, stealth doesn't work...

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Can additional features be added to hide things like who we are voting for?  Our white/black lists?  Assets?  Permissions?

Another example is when we browse a user's ID, why does the membership option even appear?  Perhaps removing things like this could minimize data usage and lower latency?
Some data needs to be publicly known (i.e. interpretable by the blockchain and thus publicly known) .. such as whitelists and votes. Hence they can't be hidden.
Stuff like the balances are a little more relexed because the blockchain only needs to know that the sum of balance in inputs equals the sum of balances in outputs. So the ACTUAL amounts are of no interest to the blockchain and can be hidden ..

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
BM mentioned our account balance can be hidden, how so?  If Account A has 100 bts and blind transfers to account B 100bts with the blind feature, we can still see Account A HAD 100bts and now has 0?  We can easily assume Account B now has 100bts.  Is the only way to gain true stealth still through a mixing service?  This appears to be similar to 0.93?

But the public wouldn't be able to tell that A sent B 100 BTS nor would they be able to tell that A is left with 0 BTS. Let me make it more clear with the following example. Let's say Alice originally has 500 BTS in a public balance and decides to blind that value and send 100 BTS of it to Bob. She creates a transaction that consumes the 500 BTS as input and creates two blinded balance outputs: one is 100 BTS for Bob and the other is 400 BTS change for herself. Now the public knows that the sum of her remaining balance and the amount she sent Bob needs to equal 500 BTS, but they have no idea how much each are individually.

Once a balance is hidden, how will it effect voting?

If a balance is completely blinded it cannot be used for voting. The most we could do is allow the user to expose a minimum value for the blinded balance and only that minimum value will contribute towards voting (and contribute towards rate-limited free transactions). The remainder of the blinded balance beyond the exposed minimum value would not count however. Obviously in that case the user has a trade-off to make between how much voting power (or rate-limited free transaction bandwidth) they want and how much of their privacy they wish to give up.

Can additional features be added to hide things like who we are voting for?  Our white/black lists?  Assets?  Permissions?

Short of some fancy new amazing cryptography innovations... no.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 05:08:54 am by arhag »

Offline Brekyrself

• View Profile
So does stealth actually work?  Can anyone give an example on how to do a stealth transaction?
My guess is not really unless your are some kind of super user, but instead we are getting the half as good version that conveniently was being developed as one of the specs for Steem.

Half as effective?

Or half as user friendly?

I'm not sure if any actual data has been released on the scope of the implementation of blinded transfers.

While "stealth, ""confidential," "secret" transactions bring hype among communities, the blockchain itself is a transparent ledger.  No matter the implementation it appears there will always be a way to track funds eventually to user with a high degree of probability.

Am I missing something with the following questions/thoughts?
BM mentioned our account balance can be hidden, how so?  If Account A has 100 bts and blind transfers to account B 100bts with the blind feature, we can still see Account A HAD 100bts and now has 0?  We can easily assume Account B now has 100bts.  Is the only way to gain true stealth still through a mixing service?  This appears to be similar to 0.93?

Once a balance is hidden, how will it effect voting?

Another example is when we browse a user's ID, why does the membership option even appear?  Perhaps removing things like this could minimize data usage and lower latency?

Offline Erlich Bachman

• I'm a pro
    • View Profile
So does stealth actually work?  Can anyone give an example on how to do a stealth transaction?
My guess is not really unless your are some kind of super user, but instead we are getting the half as good version that conveniently was being developed as one of the specs for Steem.

Half as effective?

Or half as user friendly?
You own the network, but who pays for development?

Offline mint chocolate chip

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile