Author Topic: how to mine steem  (Read 12871 times)

Offline onceuponatime

STEEM sounds like elitist bullshit. If you're not going to let this community acquire any, either through a sharedrop, egalitarian mining, or the DEX, then don't expect us to follow you.

See the Whitepaper, page 15. They are going to let anybody acquire it, whether they can fit into your preconceptions or not. To acquire it you don't have to be a miner or have any funds to purchase it.

So who's the elitist bullshitter?

Offline Vizzini

• View Profile
  • BitShares: vizzini
STEEM sounds like elitist bullshit. If you're not going to let this community acquire any, either through a sharedrop, egalitarian mining, or the DEX, then don't expect us to follow you.
Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

Offline onceuponatime

Also, did anyone else notice how the initial Steem git commit was a dump of the all files, rather than a fork the graphene repo?

Nice way to keep the work hidden from the Github history/fork browser and the project secret during its initial stages.

Should also make it more difficult to cherry-pick and back-port changes to the Bitshares code-base.

Very sneaky!
Grow up.

"You just need thick skin and the ability to ignore the Bitcoin pharisees and the angry mob they incite to nail you to a cross for failing to sacrifice your creation to the prevailing mining gods."

Bytemaster, How to Launch a Crypto Curency Legally while Raising Funds
http://bytemaster.github.io/article/2016/03/27/How-to-Launch-a-Crypto-Currency-Legally-while-Raising-Funds/

julian1

Also, did anyone else notice how the initial Steem git commit was a dump of the all files, rather than a fork the graphene repo?

Nice way to keep the work hidden from the Github history/fork browser and the project secret during its initial stages.

Should also make it more difficult to cherry-pick and back-port changes to the Bitshares code-base.

Very sneaky!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 08:07:17 pm by julian1 »

julian1

As I understand it, the majority of the Steem codebase was funded using BTS dilution. Apart from that, the project has no connection with Bitshares and is off-topic here.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
FYI STEEM is now beening traded on bittrex https://bittrex.com/Market/Index?MarketName=BTC-STEEM
Dumpers, hurry up!

But only available for Dan Notestein to dump on the DEX, apparently.

Xeldal

FYI STEEM is now beening traded on bittrex https://bittrex.com/Market/Index?MarketName=BTC-STEEM
Dumpers, hurry up!

But only available for Dan Notestein to dump on the DEX, apparently.

EDIT: *But also available...  ??
Not sure how I meant to form that sentence. : P
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 07:52:06 pm by Xeldal »

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
Dumpers, hurry up!
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
Obviously STEEMIT believe their approach is justified but if you believe STEEM's approach is questionable, perhaps let CMC know that they mined at least 80% of the initial STEEM themselves and 99.5% is not liquid so they can decide how best to value them according to current conventions on their site. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=199685.4600

We have secured ~80% of the initial STEEM via mining.

Only 0.47% of STEEM is liquid in individual accounts, this is going to make the pump on CMC legend... wait-for-it... dary!
I...

While questionable valuations in crypto are nothing new, e.g. Banx, my personal view is that if a lot of coins mined >80% of the initial coins to themselves and had >99.5%+ non liquid & that all counted towards 'available supply' then you would have hundreds/thousands of coins seemingly worth >$10 million with minuscule, possibly manipulated volume which would seriously undermine crypto valuations.

I think it's likely only 0.5% or some other number will/should be counted as available supply on CMC and the rest should count as total supply similar to Ripple http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/ripple/#markets
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Maybe you can get on some smaller exchanges, but with a well documented shitshow like this, the first person to clone your coin will be able to leverage anything new (if any) you put into it.
Hell, I might even do it. You can watch me fuck you with your own work.

The "coin" is currently under license...

1:20:22
https://youtu.be/VdYK1ifKLXw?t=1h20m22s

Offline mike623317

• View Profile

is there any chance of addressing the original request for some step by step instructions please?

Offline jambo110

• View Profile
  • BitShares: jambo110
Yes i see,  he now has 1000 open.btc in his balance if sold at todays price.

not bad payoff for a junior member to say he was talking bull.

good luck with this.

Offline JA

• View Profile
cool
can we move this to random? @fav

Offline svk

If you read on you'll also see this user admitting to having kept mining, and he is now a supporter and an active member of the Steem slack.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 09:39:03 am by svk »
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline jambo110

• View Profile
  • BitShares: jambo110
i have just read this in a post :

Oh wow, another vote for the staker thing dominated by insiders who started with an inside advantage and, worse than that, cheated their way there.

I've put the whole picture together now and it doesn't paint a pretty picture. You have done far worse than free trade ever did. Let me explain it to our audience.

Dear reader: please continue to the end, it gets worse with every sentence.

Let me start from the beginning: Dev, first you have the shittiest shitcoin launch in history, having all your miners fired up from the beginning.

Not only do you not have a pool or windows wallets, but you don't even have build instructions. You even have to be an advanced git user to insert the external repositories in the right place to build. You need a special boost that isn't included in the most common and supported linux distros, like Ubuntu 14.04. In short, you gave yourself a huge advantage.

Then you started cheating. The first cheat were your incorrect example mining commands that left out key characters, like single quoting the double quoted witness name. It's a detail, but very hard to figure out why the parser is failing. Then you have a shitty nonce selection where if the same key is mining from two different machines it will produce double work and get booted. You knew of this but no miner did. That doesn't make you smart, it makes you a cheater because you were raping the coin the whole time.

To prove that you were raping it to the exclusion of everyone else, anyone can go read the original thread where you acknowledge that when your miners went down, no one else was mining. You made it impossible to mine for anyone else who didn't have insider's knowledge of the coin.

That doesn't make you smarter than your average coward, because anyone can set a booby trap. It makes you someone who is too dumb to figure out how to win by being smart.

Now here's where it gets bad. For the second night in a row your miners crashed. I actually anticipated that because dumbfucks usually make the same mistake more than once. So I had 40 cores going when you went to bed. I brought in nearly every block that night and when you woke up you saw what happened and decided to do a relaunch.

You failed at cheating and the only way to win at it was to cheat some more with a relaunch. Of course I lost all my coins, but you had to do it to guarantee yourself an insurmountable insider advantage when it came to voting yourself a staker.

But only after mining with about $200 day for 3 days do you spring this thing about insider's selecting the stakers. Maybe, being a complete idiot, you think that we should read the code and put $200.00 a day on this coin like you. But no one has time to read the code of every shitcoin that comes along. No one can do it. Again, you aren't smart for having insider knowledge and taking advantage of it. You are basically an idiot who has to cheat because you can't cheat so well.

And, dear reader, this is the story of the beginning of this coin. You have a dev who has cheated at every step, cheats when they fuck up cheating, then cheats some more.

And, shitcoin dev, I know you will delete this post, but I won't and it will come up again. Also, I know the bittrex people will not add scams like this. I'll make sure they know what has happened. And coins these days don't go anywhere if they don't go through trex. You might as well make your own exchange. There are too many KYC/AML agencies coming down hard on exchanges. Maybe you can get on some smaller exchanges, but with a well documented shitshow like this, the first person to clone your coin will be able to leverage anything new (if any) you put into it.

Hell, I might even do it. You can watch me fuck you with your own work.
Last edited: Mar 27, 2016

https://bitcointa.lk/threads/ann-steem-pow-no-ipo-no-premine-no-instamine-relaunch.575131/page-5

Worth a read..
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 08:03:22 am by jambo110 »