Author Topic: Whale Powered Assets  (Read 12543 times)

Offline Chris4210

• Keep Building!
    • View Profile
    • www.payger.com
  • BitShares: chris4210
Extra credit questions for the serious student: 

1.   What is the best way to set up a UIA currency backed by a large, sustainable stream of whale earnings? 

2.   What is the stabilizing formula for computing the buy/sell wall for an appreciating McBuck on the BitShares DEX referenced to a decaying basket of fiat currencies and/or commodities, any of which could drop off large cliffs in purchasing power at random times during the next few years?
  • a.   Peg McBuck price to the USD adjusted for the official rate of inflation that the US government admits to or +5%, whichever is greater.  (So the price of the McBuck in dollars always grows by at least 5% annually.)
  • b.   Same as a, except peg daily to the currency/commodity in the basket that has gained the most against the others from the beginning to the present.    If the leading fiat collapses, the next best takes over.  Gold automatically takes over when not being manipulated.

3.   How would one use such a whale stream to make one of the current top crypto currencies the unassailable new global reserve currency?

4.   Which leading blockchain would work best for such a strategy?  Why?

1. Maybe Helicopter money is too crazy for this one, but I got this lead from a former banker: http://www.fvs-ri.com/files/better_monetary_system.pdf
One of the leading European financial think tanks analyst Thomas Mayer wrote in his ECONOMIC POLICY NOTE 16/3/2016 an essay about: "From Zirp, Nirp, QE, and helicopter money to a better monetary system" . It is a good short read. The EZB is already discussing this method.

Alternative I thought about using monthly/yearly dividends from a conglomerate to back the UIA. UIA users can exchange their UIA against Fiat again. Alternative use the UIA like a voucher, set up deals with the industry so that regular consumers can get +20% discounts if they buy the product with the UIA. The Industry can exchange the received UIA into Fiat again, or pay the UIA as a bonus to their employees.

2. No answer.

3. See CLains plan below

A benevolent whale could buy up BTS and provide liquidity for market makers. That in itself would be immensely profitable for both the whale and BitShares as a whole. Secondarily they could hire someone who knows about interaction-design/marketing/market-analysis to figure out how we can best create our interface, if we should have one or several interfaces to BitShares, how they should be branded and feel, and how the introduction-process to BitShares can best be accomplished. In addition to this they could hire someone to begin creating a Global Gateway Alliance or something like that to provide resources like documentation and help to entrepreneurs to set up their own (profitable) wallets and gateways in their own jurisdictions for local currencies, precious metals, to interact seamlessly with the global exchange. Finally they could help fund  the current developers full time and make sure that they stay voted in to provide code fixes and upgrades, general infrastructure, documentation and support for new developers, as well as new features (bond market, etc.).

Spending even just a few million dollars on this in 2016 I think could easily send BitShares to 100 million marketcap and beyond. An investor buying up $500k worth of BitShares would probably make his money back with a return already by 2017, not even mentioning the earnings from market-making, referrals and gateway transactions fees. They would then also have a foothold within every aspect of the BitShares network that can provide an endless stream of new opportunities if this is a success. BitShares is already in line to get network effect and a small push like that would make it almost certain to dominate the decentralized exchange sector. I think people still do not realize how big a deal this is; a global, decentralized, frictionless tranding network that cannot be taken down is absolutely insane, and we actually have the speed/volume capacity and scalability to pull it off beginning right now. The best part is, nobody knows yet, nobody knows what BitShares is capable of, there's endless talk about blockchains and bitcoin scalability and ethereum apps, but this chain is live right now, everything ready to impact the lives of a billion people.

I think CLains is on the right path to success...
1. Get a hold on a substantial amount of BTS (ask some old whales to buy bulk)
2. Slowly build up liquidity in the DEX with MPA
3. Hire an expert marking team to create a subset of Exchange/Gateway interfaces for each continent, matching the local UI/X taste and trend
4. Fund expert developing companies to build the important key elements of a new global infrastructure (gateway, wallet, cards, exchanges, customer support, marketing, atm etc.) 
4. Build a Gateway network with Banks, Retailers, and Food-Chains so that everybody can interact with the system seamless
5. Share drop the UIA at the beginning, Users can claim the UIA and consume or sell the UIA at the Network. (It could be branded as a "Universal Income" for everyone, or users gain extra discounts if they spend the UIA at the stores, merchant can claim back again fiat)
6. The UIA could be used as a new retirement money, share dropped and paid out to all involved industries and connected companies (final goal, earn part of your extra salary in UIA)
7. Create a money circle where the UIA flows between consumers and companies

That is still a long way for us ;)

4. Only a Blockchain system that can adapt to current world affairs, with a sustainable governance system. A platform that can scale to future requirements. Why not BitShares?

I always wonder why some of the big whales (Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, etc.) burn billions in unnecessary initiatives and somehow always skip the obvious investment opportunities to make this world a better place. We have such a great pool of awesome technologies (New energy sources, Bio engineering, Nano technology,  and so on) but we are holding back our full potential for some unknown reason. It is so disappointing, right?
Vote Chris4210 for Committee Member http://bit.ly/1WKC03B! | www.Payger.com - Payments + Messenger | www.BitShareshub.io - Community based fanpage for the BitShares Blockchain

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

@Stan I'd love to see this one reposted on Steemit... :)

Heh, heh,  OK.  Thanks for the suggestion!
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise

Whale Powered Assets

Governments and wealthy institutions (sovereign whales) traditionally supply our currencies because they can decree them by fiat.  We all know why we don’t like that, but such coins generally work well enough for economies to function – until they don’t.

Crypto currencies are intended to fix what we don’t like about whale issued coins, but they have their own problems, such as instability and reluctant mass adoption. 

So most of us settle for a mix of the two to meet our needs for a Store of Value (SoV), a Unit of Account (UoA) and Medium of Exchange (MoE).  BitShares is a versatile, low-friction economic platform where such mixing can take place efficiently.

But it can also be thought of as a “currency factory” that offers a way to create a variety of useful hybrid coins that breed desirable features from multiple currency strains.  Some are trustless.  Some engineer blockchain-assisted trust.  Some represent real assets mapped onto the blockchain by trust alone. Others are stable with respect to external assets that may or may not be stable themselves.  Some are deterministically self-contained mathematical constructs.  Others extract order from the unpredictable external consensus of generally clueless people.  Our industry is generating a Cambrian Explosion of new coin species.  Some will emerge as the fittest.

So what are we missing?  Are there other strains of monetary DNA that could be added to the mix that would serve as versatile building blocks for the perfect hybrid currency?   

Well, what about sovereign whale power?  There are plenty of whales out there itching to use their power (benevolently, of course) to create better currencies.  I’ve talked with some of them.  Is it possible to use crypto-integrity to harness and safely direct sovereign whale power?   If I were a friendly sovereign whale with relatively unlimited resources, could I find a way to infuse that power safely into the BitShares factory to produce the ideal cryptocurrency – without destroying its essential self-governing robotic integrity? 

Strange bedfellows spawn the “perfect” currency?

In December 2014, Dan “Bytemaster” Larimer posted a two-part article (with cameo appearances by Vitalik Buterin) explaining how to do the “impossible” task of creating a stable decentralized crypto-currency.

Stable Crypto Currencies are Impossible.
How to Create a Stable Decentralized Crypto Currency

There, he opined “The real goal is the global acceptance of a fixed supply, predictably appreciating currency. The challenge is how do we get from where we are today to global acceptance when the value of our crypto-currency is highly volatile.”   

That’s where I think whale power might come in.

In Bytemaster’s opinion, if BitShares were to somehow become big enough and accepted enough it would be both (a) the ideal predictably appreciating asset to use as a currency itself and (b) the ideal reliably appreciating base asset needed for generating currencies pegged to everything else. 

Whales specialize in making things big, accepted and appreciating.

“Unlike the other pegging systems,” says Bytemaster, “BitAssets have a positive return proportional to the expected growth in the value of BTS relative to the value of the pegged asset. In time BTS will become the reserve currency and will ultimately become the fixed supply, counter-party-free, highly predictable, constantly growing ideal money.”

So, all we need to do is to harness up a whale to provide these three missing ingredients:

1.   Acceptance.  A whale can provide marketing power and branded clout to generate consumer awareness, trust and demand.
2.   Liquidity.   A whale can provide market-making functions that drive liquidity of the base asset and the BitAssets built on it.
3.   Growth.  A whale can generate the buying pressure, shrinking supply, and momentum necessary to cause “predictable appreciation” of the base asset.

What is especially intriguing is that it might be possible to get a whale to do this without giving it any power at all to corrupt the resulting suite of currencies.  A robotically honest, whale-powered cryptocoin factory?  Surely you jest!

No.  And don’t call me Shirley.

First, let’s assume that our friendly whale is big enough to generate a revenue stream sufficient to power our factory. Suppose it comes from the earnings of a whale-owned asset that the whale is willing to provide because of the economic or social benefits she expects to derive from the mere existence of such a currency.  Nothing outrageous, mind you, just a billion dollars per year – the amount McDonald’s pays for its hamburger input stream.  If you are Apple or Exxon, or can buy Apple and Exxon, you could siphon off just a few percent of your profits to power BitShares.  That’s all you would need to create the ideal world reserve currency(!).    That’s a tiny fraction of what it would cost you to back a currency directly with gold, oil or cannabis.  Perhaps we could simply reallocate 1% of the improper payments made in subsidizing the US healthcare system. 

I’ll leave the details of how to harness whale power as an exercise for the student.  Like plutonium, let’s focus on all the cool things we could do with it if we had some.

The Brute Force Counterparty Method.

If I lacked all imagination, I would simply tell our whale to issue a User Issued Asset called the, um, “McBuck”, and use her whale power to pay interest.  That would immediately set it apart from all other currencies in an era of negative interest rates.

A billion dollar stream would back a 20 billion dollar currency at 5%.  That’s an interest-paying digital currency three times bigger than Bitcoin and 100% liquid.  Sure there’s counterparty risk, but that mythical whale is spending a billion dollars a year promoting a public chain she doesn’t control just to earn the world’s trust – and she owns Apple and Exxon!  How risky can that seem to the consumers we are courting? How does that even compare, in the public’s mind, to the risk associated with the three self-appointed mining companies that control Bitcoin?   

If you are worried about referencing the McBuck to a decaying fiat currency, why not use a whole basket of currencies and reference the McBuck to the best of the bunch on any given day – plus 5% APR scheduled appreciation.   Since the best fiat in the basket is just losing ground at the slowest rate, it will actually cost less than 5% to redeem a McBuck in constant terms.  To be successful we don’t have to outrun the coming fiat collapse.  We just have to outrun the competition.

The Elegant Counterparty-Free Method.

But can we use whale power with no counterparty risk at all?  Sure.  Here, we simply use whale power to accelerate how quickly BitShares itself gains the remaining things it needs to become the ideal currency – acceptance, liquidity, and growth.  The question becomes how best to use an annual power stream of $1B to make this happen.  Here are some things that a whale could do with her power stream, although it is not clear what the optimal mix might be:

1.   Pay for marketing and education about BitShares and its Smart Coins.
2.   Fund BTS workers allowing dilution to remain zero while improving ecosystem.
3.   Offer free samples to get new members to sign up.
4.   Buy up to $1B worth of BitShares per year and lock or burn them.
5.   Pay lifetime membership fees for every user (moving 20% out of circulation).
6.   Fund an interest-paying asset like the above McBuck to attract more users.
7.   Fund market-making activities to give BitShares the best depth and liquidity.

Note that the only involvement of the whale is in boosting acceptance, liquidity, and growth.  The whale has zero control over the currency or the platform that operates it.  All it does is build kinetic and potential energy.  If the whale power stream ever ends, BitShares continues to safely glide forward until we can hook up another whale.  At scale, BitShares should be stable enough to ignore any such transients and will no longer need whale power.  We are only relying on the whale to tow our glider to a self-sustaining altitude.

A big enough whale might choose to do all of the above and give consumers and businesses a rich choice of options.  So, assuming, hypothetically, for the sake of motivated discussion, that our business development team could find such a whale, what should they be telling her right now?

@Stan I'd love to see this one reposted on Steemit... :)
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
Proposals are based in part on what resources are available to work on them.
Resources are hired based on the availability of stable funding.
A constant battle over who controls the funding light switch means no one dares hire against any line item.
So the resources remain allocated elsewhere.

Voting is overrated.  I wouldn't want to ride on an aircraft controlled by voting passengers.
Give me a benevolent whale any day.
:)

'The DAO' seems to be doing very well in its fund-raising so far, so it seems the market has faith in something similar to the BTS voting model. I guess the real test will be to see how they do in practice.

http://coinjournal.net/dao-decentralized-fund-management-crowdsale/

The DAO Raises Over US$13 Million During First Three Days of Crowdsale

Similarly, in The DAO, there is no director and no board. Voting power is granted to holders of The DOA tokens who can vote to approve or decline proposals submitted. Voting rights are proportional to the amount of tokens held. The proposals submitted to The DAO by contractors, define how much or how little control over its operational responsibilities The DAO “outsources” to the contractors.

The DAO said it is looking for projects that provide a return on investment or benefit to the organization and its members, and which benefit the decentralized ecosystem as a whole.

The organization earns revenue generated by the products and services it helps fund. Profits are then distributed to participants based on transparent rules that are decided by the participants beforehand.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 04:13:39 pm by Empirical1.2 »
If you want to take the island burn the boats

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
Yes thank you for pointing that out. I've been very well supported by SVK and puppies. Puppies is in the middle of helping me vest the Steem I have.  The way I see it is if Steem as an experiment works then I will be able to keep afloat and trying to help BitShares.  I believe BitShares is the community and network that will unlock the future and Steem is a means to that end. But then I still have a lot of trust in BM. Also, I think there is a possibility that the BitShares dex can eventually be the platform/medium within which other networks assets can be exchanged (so Steem and other networks with different angles) and succeed together. I may be naive but there has been a lot of delicious looking fruit coming from this community for a long time!  :D

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile
What makes it harder is the gap in my technical knowledge and my distance from the best information.  For instance, how do I evaluate the relative value of Bitshares as it stands and new initiatives (born out of necessity or frustration or innovation) like steem?  I feel i have to take a position in steem because many key community members have and it seems prudent.   Ultimately,  I have only ever been interested in one thing and you know what that is already.  I would hand over all my stake now if it would guarantee the success of the vision......

Yeah this is why I prefer we don't promote it on BTS because it's leaching BTS investment $. (Personally I don't have any.)

Also be careful, I assume if you have limited technical knowledge you're probably not vesting, because they haven't provided a windows wallet yet to my knowledge, so in addition to everything else, the value of your Steem is likely declining in BTC terms as the value gets transferred from you to the majority owners. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 01:56:04 pm by Empirical1.2 »

bitimaru

A benevolent whale could buy up BTS and provide liquidity for market makers. That in itself would be immensely profitable for both the whale and BitShares as a whole. Secondarily they could hire someone who knows about interaction-design/marketing/market-analysis to figure out how we can best create our interface, if we should have one or several interfaces to BitShares, how they should be branded and feel, and how the introduction-process to BitShares can best be accomplished. In addition to this they could hire someone to begin creating a Global Gateway Alliance or something like that to provide resources like documentation and help to entrepreneurs to set up their own (profitable) wallets and gateways in their own jurisdictions for local currencies, precious metals, to interact seamlessly with the global exchange. Finally they could help fund  the current developers full time and make sure that they stay voted in to provide code fixes and upgrades, general infrastructure, documentation and support for new developers, as well as new features (bond market, etc.).

Spending even just a few million dollars on this in 2016 I think could easily send BitShares to 100 million marketcap and beyond. An investor buying up $500k worth of BitShares would probably make his money back with a return already by 2017, not even mentioning the earnings from market-making, referrals and gateway transactions fees. They would then also have a foothold within every aspect of the BitShares network that can provide an endless stream of new opportunities if this is a success. BitShares is already in line to get network effect and a small push like that would make it almost certain to dominate the decentralized exchange sector. I think people still do not realize how big a deal this is; a global, decentralized, frictionless tranding network that cannot be taken down is absolutely insane, and we actually have the speed/volume capacity and scalability to pull it off beginning right now. The best part is, nobody knows yet, nobody knows what BitShares is capable of, there's endless talk about blockchains and bitcoin scalability and ethereum apps, but this chain is live right now, everything ready to impact the lives of a billion people.

I can't believe most traders still dont know what bitshares/openledger is after MT.GOX and Cryptsy mess-up.  I think this is a sharp argument for anyone to start trading in a safe decentralized trading network.
Volume is inexistant tho, so many trader that already know about BTS/openlegder won't trade here. Ronny is doing an awesome job promoting BTS/Openledger and I think making 'new ICOs trading' the War-Horse is really really smart. Volume could go from zero to NINETHOUSAND with the correct exposure!! Also, Ronny just mentioned he had succeed in bringing 'BIG eth players' on openledger looking forward for the Digix release... If this is not awesome news for BTS adoptions... Oh and this news is supposed to hit Forbes really soon.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
A constant battle over who controls the funding light switch means no one dares hire against any line item.

Voting is overrated.  I wouldn't want to ride on an aircraft controlled by voting passengers.

While perhaps an isolated and overly suspicious view, posts like the above make me think a lot of Stan's recents threads like this one are actually veiled pitches for Steem which is already controlled by a 'benevolent whale' in form of Steemit. If so I think they should be moved to random discussion.

On the contrary...they should forever stay in the  General area as a remind of a great lessons learned in the past

This lesson in particular - on how the fighter for decentralization and freedoms for all, can turn the blockchain into a centralized solution where she holds virtually all of the stake ( and constantly tries to increase it by 9x ratio each and every time a new crumble of stake is thrown to the masses... small bait given in a hope to gain network effect and so even more money for her). This  Opost in particular being a brainstorming on "how to justify what is in our personal narrow interest, is the only and true way forward for everyone else"...

This lesson of course - when money and power are at stake, all other virtues tend to be twistable...

Crickey you guys just won't let up will you? How about using your big brains to contribute to the discussion without trying to twist it with some dark agenda?   Steemit does not qualify as a 'beneve-whale' and as such is clearly not the point of the discussion. If you don't like Steem, fine. We have BitShares. We have BitShares and its vision in part because of the virtue of those you are disparaging.

I appreciate your constantly uplifting, positive and unifying attitude Ben, you Clains & Fuzzy in particular imo are among other things, critical rocks of support for those who face often unfair criticism while doing the hard work of actually building BTS & I have faith that you are and will remain steadfast supporters of BTS and it's values.

While I apologise to anyone I unfairly criticise in my defence of BTS does the 'voting is overrated' post, sound BTS friendly in your opinion?

I'll be honest with you......i am finding it increasingly difficult to keep as much capital in Bitshares as i'd like because there are so many worthy projects to support and i am limited to the funds I have in crypto as it stands.  What makes it harder is the gap in my technical knowledge and my distance from the best information.  For instance, how do I evaluate the relative value of Bitshares as it stands and new initiatives (born out of necessity or frustration or innovation) like steem?  I feel i have to take a position in steem because many key community members have and it seems prudent.   Ultimately,  I have only ever been interested in one thing and you know what that is already.  I would hand over all my stake now if it would guarantee the success of the vision......

The Bitshares community has fractured to some degree around the issue of scarce resource use and the means of further developing the network.  Being part of a community that is not pulling in the same direction is greatly unsettling at times......however understandable.  So, huge mistakes were made in the history of Bitshares.......we have not made it easy for ourselves.  I believe all those mistakes were honestly made.  We only damage Bitshares if we continue to insist on chewing it all over.  We have some incredible technology built.  We have incredible partners working their asses off.  We need to re-galvanise Bitshares and the community and that's not easy at all.  But there is no other choice if we want to survive. 

I think Stan is frustrated that the powerful democratizing and flexible voting tools we have in Bitshares has not yielded the proactive, unified, driven developer paradise it could one day be.  Bitshares probably works better at scale......but how to get there.  For me, despite the economic challenge, sharedrops are the only way to remain connected with those that share a direction (technical, spiritual or philosophical) as we meander our way to mass adoption......this is snakes and ladders after all. 

A whale would make getting there a hell of a lot simpler.  We need to show ourselves and everyone else why our community is the one.  Clearly there is work to do but all the things we need are right here.

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile

While perhaps an isolated and overly suspicious view, posts like the above make me think a lot of Stan's recents threads like this one are actually veiled pitches for Steem which is already controlled by a 'benevolent whale' in form of Steemit. If so I think they should be moved to random discussion.

On the contrary...they should forever stay in the  General area as a remind of a great lessons learned in the past

This lesson in particular - on how the fighter for decentralization and freedoms for all, can turn the blockchain into a centralized solution where she holds virtually all of the stake ( and constantly tries to increase it by 9x ratio each and every time a new crumble of stake is thrown to the masses... small bait given in a hope to gain network effect and so even more money for her). This  Opost in particular being a brainstorming on "how to justify what is in our personal narrow interest, is the only and true way forward for everyone else"...

This lesson of course - when money and power are at stake, all other virtues tend to be twistable...

Crickey you guys just won't let up will you? How about using your big brains to contribute to the discussion without trying to twist it with some dark agenda?   Steemit does not qualify as a 'beneve-whale' and as such is clearly not the point of the discussion. If you don't like Steem, fine. We have BitShares. We have BitShares and its vision in part because of the virtue of those you are disparaging.

I appreciate your constantly uplifting, positive and unifying attitude Ben, you Clains & Fuzzy in particular imo are among other things, critical rocks of support for those who face often unfair criticism while doing the hard work of actually building BTS & I have faith that you are and will remain steadfast supporters of BTS and it's values.

While I apologise to anyone I unfairly criticise in my defence of BTS does the 'voting is overrated' post, sound BTS friendly in your opinion?

Offline fuzzy

比特股寻精之旅!
bitshares searching for sperm  of journey!

great!
good idea!
i like this!
just do it!
 +5% +5% +5%

Are you the one who sent me a bunch of SPERM UIA?..  ::)
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

unreadPostsSinceLastVisit

oooooooohhhhhhh I'd like to think I would have figured that out eventually.

Offline Empirical1.2

• View Profile

Offline vegolino

• Reality is Information
    • View Profile
There is no such thing as not "going where I was hoping."

I'm seeking ideas, concepts, and strategies that might interest whales who are looking for a winning way to become a player.  Some seem to realize that developing their own private blockchain (their first instinct) has its own acceptance issues.  Building on an established (real time, industrial grade) public chain with a decentralized governance mechanism may mitigate some of those issues.  Using a small billion dollar revenue stream to promote a public chain rather than perhaps committing trillions to back a suspiciously private chain is an option I think has potential.  I'm just looking for our community's best brains to figure out the gory details. 

Every unicorn I have talked to so far has liked the idea, so I think we're on to something.

Lol. Seriously though, you might have more luck with a more direct approach in your writing. (Says Mr overly direct)  At least at times...

比特股寻精之旅!

great!
good idea!
i like this!
just do it!

Wait whaat?  I'm really confused now.
This BTS account only post this kind of thing all the time, just check his post history and you will not be confused any more  :)

Offline gamey

• View Profile

I'm seeking ideas, concepts, and strategies that might interest whales who are looking for a winning way to become a player.  Some seem to realize that developing their own private blockchain (their first instinct) has its own acceptance issues.  Building on an established (real time, industrial grade) public chain with a decentralized governance mechanism may mitigate some of those issues.  Using a small billion dollar revenue stream to promote a public chain rather than perhaps committing trillions to back a suspiciously private chain is an option I think has potential.  I'm just looking for our community's best brains to figure out the gory details. 

Every unicorn I have talked to so far has liked the idea, so I think we're on to something.

Lol. Seriously though, you might have more luck with a more direct approach in your writing. (Says Mr overly direct)  At least at times...

比特股寻精之旅!

great!
good idea!
i like this!
just do it!

Wait whaat?  I'm really confused now.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Musewhale

• 丑,实在是太丑了 !
    • View Profile
比特股寻精之旅!

great!
good idea!
i like this!
just do it!
 +5% +5% +5%
MUSE witness:mygoodfriend     vote for me

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 01:29:21 pm by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Just loved the idea of a beneve-whale...... and dragons, I love the idea of dragons.

Unicorns too.  I just love unicorns.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
People need food, energy, water, space and shelter. To use crypto, they need the Internet. Are you suggesting that the currency which will survive and go on to be the global reserve must relate to these primary necessities?  Will these be the last standing measures of value that have any meaning to the majority of people as the global economy resets?

Value is subjective and relative values change constantly. In order to be the unassailable reserve currency, it must be widely accepted as having value, achieve dominance without the use of force, have characteristics that lends itself to sustained integrity and can adapt in such a way that does not compromise it's integrity.

Are we starting with fiat because the majority of people are confused about what has value at the moment?

The sun is the ultimate reserve for our solar system......

Like Merockstar, I get the feeling I'm not going where you were hoping with this so I'm going to wait and give other more perceptive and economically astute people a chance ;)) Just loved the idea of a beneve-whale...... and dragons, I love the idea of dragons.

unreadPostsSinceLastVisit

Assuming there was such a whale, and she was truly benevolent, it seems a simple enough formula to me.

1) Buy cheap BTS
2) Put out the word about their plans
3) Fund developing and marketing, motivate people to join bitshares with venture capitol, bring bts to the status envisioned, bond markets and all the other such features without diluting anymore (or creating FBAs), accept/implement into their business, persuade peers to do same
4) profit for whale-friend (and people still hodling bts) as these things would surely drive the price up

If whale-friend isn't American I would love to see a real, well known, major corporation with brand recognition issue shares to be bought back with their profit on the blockchain. thats always been the thing that excited me most about bitshares: invest in startups without being accredited, and be your own stock broker-- that's why I still hang out here in spite of everything. I see real potential in that.

if it weren't for the hints in this post, I would guess that we're talking about a unicorn. but if we've really captured the interest of a beneve-whale, I feel like there are plenty of ways they could move the project forward.

I know this probably isn't the kind of answers you're wanting, Stan, but hey at least the thread got bumped.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
It would certainly seem like a good time to include silver.

But I expect there will soon be wild swings in the relative values of everything.

So, the solution would need to be immune to a whole flock of black swans.

What does it take to be the last currency standing?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 12:17:31 am by Stan »

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
Could the whale buy a billion a year worth of physical silver (transparent reserve of course) and help back the BTS by only allowing conversion with BTS and only within the dex.....the dex being another reason to choose BTS (in addition to governance, scalability, speed, vision & did I mention the dex.)

For unassailable reserve status the asset needs to be used in trade, savings and lending .....with global recognition and network. Good money drives out bad so everything requires integrity.

Offline SolomonSollarsNSense

@Stan I like the ideas being discussed here. I wish I wasn't so busy at the moment. Keep up the good work I'll try to add some thoughts later in the week. Cheers!
If you like the content I make consider tipping me. Helps me keep those bitshare content babies popping like popcorn! Send tips to: solomonsollarsnsense

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

1.   What is the best way to set up a UIA currency backed by a large, sustainable stream of whale earnings? 

2.   What is the stabilizing formula for computing the buy/sell wall for an appreciating McBuck on the BitShares DEX referenced to a decaying basket of fiat currencies and/or commodities, any of which could drop off large cliffs in purchasing power at random times during the next few years?
  • a.   Peg McBuck price to the USD adjusted for the official rate of inflation that the US government admits to or +5%, whichever is greater.  (So the price of the McBuck in dollars always grows by at least 5% annually.)
  • b.   Same as a, except peg daily to the currency/commodity in the basket that has gained the most against the others from the beginning to the present.    If the leading fiat collapses, the next best takes over.  Gold automatically takes over when not being manipulated.

3.   How would one use such a whale stream to make one of the current top crypto currencies the unassailable new global reserve currency?

So far, there have not been many extra credit points awarded...

Offline yvv

• View Profile
@OP Did you try to publish novels? You definitely have a talent to out compete O. Henry and Ernest Hemingway. :)

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
i certainly wouldn't care about the inner motives of a participant as long as the rules of the system were observed and the purpose not subverted over time.

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
The characteristics you are describing lend themselves to participation without subversion. The nurturing hand of a parent, willing to sacrifice much with the prospect of largely non-financial (but no less substantial) rewards. I'm all for it. I'd do it now if I was a billionaire.....sadly I'm not.

These whales must be rarer than a blockchain loving central banker.  Where are these visionaries, these leaders, these lovers of legacy, these humanists, these 'good' billionaires?  We might as well look for aliens.  We are more likely to find such generosity of spirit and source of funding amongst the stars than amongst our terrestrial billionaires.

Where was Satoshi from again?

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
I've been trying to come up with a "whale benevolence" test.

I wouldn't require a whale to get zero benefit out of participating (I don't want to start with a null set).

But such a whale might have some of these characteristics:

1.  Willing to play by rules they didn't write themselves.
2.  Not insisting on owning their own private chain.
3.  Transparency in their dealings with the blockchain.
4.  Willingness to make occasional sacrifices not in their best interest.
5.  Being a contributing member of the community.
6.  Able to articulate some believable overarching motive besides world domination or ruthless profit.

One purpose of the OP was to put forward the concept of the blockchain as a referee.  Can blockchain technology help guarantee the "black box benevolence" of any whale for practical purposes?

What is black box benevolence?   Without being able to examine its inner motives, does it act benevolent when viewed as a black box?  If you constrain such a box with the rules of a blockchain, do you really care about its inner motives?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 12:40:55 pm by Stan »

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Maybe the whale could burn all dilution related Bts.

WOW !!!  I think we are now close...

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
Benevolent whales who just want the world to be a better place.  You're sure they exist?  If they do, they need to get their skates on and start helping now.

Not sure about brute force interest option.......just feed/super-charge the dev team and the rest of the acceptance, liquidity and growth stuff.

To encourage the whale to breach, all Bts holders could agree to a long vesting period for a percentage of their stake?

Maybe the whale could burn all dilution related Bts.

A blue whale could probably unite all the crypto communities with a new blockchain.....failing that, BitShares is as good a place to start as any because with whale power, BitShares can realise it vision and quickly become what people need to secure life, liberty and property.  How many other projects have that vision?

Offline ebit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: ebit
 +5% Let's to power BitShares
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 03:47:17 am by ebit »
telegram:ebit521
https://weibo.com/ebiter

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
Tell the whale not to buy up 51% of BTS ..  lol

I wonder what it would cost to buy up 51%...

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Tell the whale not to buy up 51% of BTS ..  lol

Offline Murderistic

• View Profile
I have a few idea's I can detail here in a bit...

Good theory post +5% +5% +5%

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 06:20:30 pm by Stan »

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex

Whale Powered Assets

Governments and wealthy institutions (sovereign whales) traditionally supply our currencies because they can decree them by fiat.  We all know why we don’t like that, but such coins generally work well enough for economies to function – until they don’t.

Crypto currencies are intended to fix what we don’t like about whale issued coins, but they have their own problems, such as instability and reluctant mass adoption. 

So most of us settle for a mix of the two to meet our needs for a Store of Value (SoV), a Unit of Account (UoA) and Medium of Exchange (MoE).  BitShares is a versatile, low-friction economic platform where such mixing can take place efficiently.

But it can also be thought of as a “currency factory” that offers a way to create a variety of useful hybrid coins that breed desirable features from multiple currency strains.  Some are trustless.  Some engineer blockchain-assisted trust.  Some represent real assets mapped onto the blockchain by trust alone. Others are stable with respect to external assets that may or may not be stable themselves.  Some are deterministically self-contained mathematical constructs.  Others extract order from the unpredictable external consensus of generally clueless people.  Our industry is generating a Cambrian Explosion of new coin species.  Some will emerge as the fittest.

So what are we missing?  Are there other strains of monetary DNA that could be added to the mix that would serve as versatile building blocks for the perfect hybrid currency?   

Well, what about sovereign whale power?  There are plenty of whales out there itching to use their power (benevolently, of course) to create better currencies.  I’ve talked with some of them.  Is it possible to use crypto-integrity to harness and safely direct sovereign whale power?   If I were a friendly sovereign whale with relatively unlimited resources, could I find a way to infuse that power safely into the BitShares factory to produce the ideal cryptocurrency – without destroying its essential self-governing robotic integrity? 

Strange bedfellows spawn the “perfect” currency?

In December 2014, Dan “Bytemaster” Larimer posted a two-part article (with cameo appearances by Vitalik Buterin) explaining how to do the “impossible” task of creating a stable decentralized crypto-currency.

Stable Crypto Currencies are Impossible.
How to Create a Stable Decentralized Crypto Currency

There, he opined “The real goal is the global acceptance of a fixed supply, predictably appreciating currency. The challenge is how do we get from where we are today to global acceptance when the value of our crypto-currency is highly volatile.”   

That’s where I think whale power might come in.

In Bytemaster’s opinion, if BitShares were to somehow become big enough and accepted enough it would be both (a) the ideal predictably appreciating asset to use as a currency itself and (b) the ideal reliably appreciating base asset needed for generating currencies pegged to everything else. 

Whales specialize in making things big, accepted and appreciating.

“Unlike the other pegging systems,” says Bytemaster, “BitAssets have a positive return proportional to the expected growth in the value of BTS relative to the value of the pegged asset. In time BTS will become the reserve currency and will ultimately become the fixed supply, counter-party-free, highly predictable, constantly growing ideal money.”

So, all we need to do is to harness up a whale to provide these three missing ingredients:

1.   Acceptance.  A whale can provide marketing power and branded clout to generate consumer awareness, trust and demand.
2.   Liquidity.   A whale can provide market-making functions that drive liquidity of the base asset and the BitAssets built on it.
3.   Growth.  A whale can generate the buying pressure, shrinking supply, and momentum necessary to cause “predictable appreciation” of the base asset.

What is especially intriguing is that it might be possible to get a whale to do this without giving it any power at all to corrupt the resulting suite of currencies.  A robotically honest, whale-powered cryptocoin factory?  Surely you jest!

No.  And don’t call me Shirley.

First, let’s assume that our friendly whale is big enough to generate a revenue stream sufficient to power our factory. Suppose it comes from the earnings of a whale-owned asset that the whale is willing to provide because of the economic or social benefits she expects to derive from the mere existence of such a currency.  Nothing outrageous, mind you, just a billion dollars per year – the amount McDonald’s pays for its hamburger input stream.  If you are Apple or Exxon, or can buy Apple and Exxon, you could siphon off just a few percent of your profits to power BitShares.  That’s all you would need to create the ideal world reserve currency(!).    That’s a tiny fraction of what it would cost you to back a currency directly with gold, oil or cannabis.  Perhaps we could simply reallocate 1% of the improper payments made in subsidizing the US healthcare system. 

I’ll leave the details of how to harness whale power as an exercise for the student.  Like plutonium, let’s focus on all the cool things we could do with it if we had some.

The Brute Force Counterparty Method.

If I lacked all imagination, I would simply tell our whale to issue a User Issued Asset called the, um, “McBuck”, and use her whale power to pay interest.  That would immediately set it apart from all other currencies in an era of negative interest rates.

A billion dollar stream would back a 20 billion dollar currency at 5%.  That’s an interest-paying digital currency three times bigger than Bitcoin and 100% liquid.  Sure there’s counterparty risk, but that mythical whale is spending a billion dollars a year promoting a public chain she doesn’t control just to earn the world’s trust – and she owns Apple and Exxon!  How risky can that seem to the consumers we are courting? How does that even compare, in the public’s mind, to the risk associated with the three self-appointed mining companies that control Bitcoin?   

If you are worried about referencing the McBuck to a decaying fiat currency, why not use a whole basket of currencies and reference the McBuck to the best of the bunch on any given day – plus 5% APR scheduled appreciation.   Since the best fiat in the basket is just losing ground at the slowest rate, it will actually cost less than 5% to redeem a McBuck in constant terms.  To be successful we don’t have to outrun the coming fiat collapse.  We just have to outrun the competition.

The Elegant Counterparty-Free Method.

But can we use whale power with no counterparty risk at all?  Sure.  Here, we simply use whale power to accelerate how quickly BitShares itself gains the remaining things it needs to become the ideal currency – acceptance, liquidity, and growth.  The question becomes how best to use an annual power stream of $1B to make this happen.  Here are some things that a whale could do with her power stream, although it is not clear what the optimal mix might be:

1.   Pay for marketing and education about BitShares and its Smart Coins.
2.   Fund BTS workers allowing dilution to remain zero while improving ecosystem.
3.   Offer free samples to get new members to sign up.
4.   Buy up to $1B worth of BitShares per year and lock or burn them.
5.   Pay lifetime membership fees for every user (moving 20% out of circulation).
6.   Fund an interest-paying asset like the above McBuck to attract more users.
7.   Fund market-making activities to give BitShares the best depth and liquidity.

Note that the only involvement of the whale is in boosting acceptance, liquidity, and growth.  The whale has zero control over the currency or the platform that operates it.  All it does is build kinetic and potential energy.  If the whale power stream ever ends, BitShares continues to safely glide forward until we can hook up another whale.  At scale, BitShares should be stable enough to ignore any such transients and will no longer need whale power.  We are only relying on the whale to tow our glider to a self-sustaining altitude.

A big enough whale might choose to do all of the above and give consumers and businesses a rich choice of options.  So, assuming, hypothetically, for the sake of motivated discussion, that our business development team could find such a whale, what should they be telling her right now?