Author Topic: Whale Powered Assets  (Read 12542 times)

Offline vegolino

• Reality is Information
    • View Profile
There is no such thing as not "going where I was hoping."

I'm seeking ideas, concepts, and strategies that might interest whales who are looking for a winning way to become a player.  Some seem to realize that developing their own private blockchain (their first instinct) has its own acceptance issues.  Building on an established (real time, industrial grade) public chain with a decentralized governance mechanism may mitigate some of those issues.  Using a small billion dollar revenue stream to promote a public chain rather than perhaps committing trillions to back a suspiciously private chain is an option I think has potential.  I'm just looking for our community's best brains to figure out the gory details. 

Every unicorn I have talked to so far has liked the idea, so I think we're on to something.

Lol. Seriously though, you might have more luck with a more direct approach in your writing. (Says Mr overly direct)  At least at times...

比特股寻精之旅!
bitshares searching for sperm  of journey!

great!
good idea!
i like this!
just do it!

Wait whaat?  I'm really confused now.
This BTS account only post this kind of thing all the time, just check his post history and you will not be confused any more  :)

Offline gamey

• View Profile

I'm seeking ideas, concepts, and strategies that might interest whales who are looking for a winning way to become a player.  Some seem to realize that developing their own private blockchain (their first instinct) has its own acceptance issues.  Building on an established (real time, industrial grade) public chain with a decentralized governance mechanism may mitigate some of those issues.  Using a small billion dollar revenue stream to promote a public chain rather than perhaps committing trillions to back a suspiciously private chain is an option I think has potential.  I'm just looking for our community's best brains to figure out the gory details. 

Every unicorn I have talked to so far has liked the idea, so I think we're on to something.

Lol. Seriously though, you might have more luck with a more direct approach in your writing. (Says Mr overly direct)  At least at times...

比特股寻精之旅!

great!
good idea!
i like this!
just do it!

Wait whaat?  I'm really confused now.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Musewhale

• 丑,实在是太丑了 !
    • View Profile
比特股寻精之旅!

great!
good idea!
i like this!
just do it!
 +5% +5% +5%
MUSE witness:mygoodfriend     vote for me

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 01:29:21 pm by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Just loved the idea of a beneve-whale...... and dragons, I love the idea of dragons.

Unicorns too.  I just love unicorns.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Ben Mason

• Integrity & Innovation, powered by Bitshares
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: benjojo
People need food, energy, water, space and shelter. To use crypto, they need the Internet. Are you suggesting that the currency which will survive and go on to be the global reserve must relate to these primary necessities?  Will these be the last standing measures of value that have any meaning to the majority of people as the global economy resets?

Value is subjective and relative values change constantly. In order to be the unassailable reserve currency, it must be widely accepted as having value, achieve dominance without the use of force, have characteristics that lends itself to sustained integrity and can adapt in such a way that does not compromise it's integrity.

Are we starting with fiat because the majority of people are confused about what has value at the moment?

The sun is the ultimate reserve for our solar system......

Like Merockstar, I get the feeling I'm not going where you were hoping with this so I'm going to wait and give other more perceptive and economically astute people a chance ;)) Just loved the idea of a beneve-whale...... and dragons, I love the idea of dragons.

unreadPostsSinceLastVisit

Assuming there was such a whale, and she was truly benevolent, it seems a simple enough formula to me.

1) Buy cheap BTS
2) Put out the word about their plans
3) Fund developing and marketing, motivate people to join bitshares with venture capitol, bring bts to the status envisioned, bond markets and all the other such features without diluting anymore (or creating FBAs), accept/implement into their business, persuade peers to do same
4) profit for whale-friend (and people still hodling bts) as these things would surely drive the price up

If whale-friend isn't American I would love to see a real, well known, major corporation with brand recognition issue shares to be bought back with their profit on the blockchain. thats always been the thing that excited me most about bitshares: invest in startups without being accredited, and be your own stock broker-- that's why I still hang out here in spite of everything. I see real potential in that.

if it weren't for the hints in this post, I would guess that we're talking about a unicorn. but if we've really captured the interest of a beneve-whale, I feel like there are plenty of ways they could move the project forward.

I know this probably isn't the kind of answers you're wanting, Stan, but hey at least the thread got bumped.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
It would certainly seem like a good time to include silver.

But I expect there will soon be wild swings in the relative values of everything.

So, the solution would need to be immune to a whole flock of black swans.

What does it take to be the last currency standing?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 12:17:31 am by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
Could the whale buy a billion a year worth of physical silver (transparent reserve of course) and help back the BTS by only allowing conversion with BTS and only within the dex.....the dex being another reason to choose BTS (in addition to governance, scalability, speed, vision & did I mention the dex.)

For unassailable reserve status the asset needs to be used in trade, savings and lending .....with global recognition and network. Good money drives out bad so everything requires integrity.

Offline SolomonSollarsNSense

@Stan I like the ideas being discussed here. I wish I wasn't so busy at the moment. Keep up the good work I'll try to add some thoughts later in the week. Cheers!
If you like the content I make consider tipping me. Helps me keep those bitshare content babies popping like popcorn! Send tips to: solomonsollarsnsense

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
Extra credit questions for the serious student: 

1.   What is the best way to set up a UIA currency backed by a large, sustainable stream of whale earnings? 

2.   What is the stabilizing formula for computing the buy/sell wall for an appreciating McBuck on the BitShares DEX referenced to a decaying basket of fiat currencies and/or commodities, any of which could drop off large cliffs in purchasing power at random times during the next few years?
  • a.   Peg McBuck price to the USD adjusted for the official rate of inflation that the US government admits to or +5%, whichever is greater.  (So the price of the McBuck in dollars always grows by at least 5% annually.)
  • b.   Same as a, except peg daily to the currency/commodity in the basket that has gained the most against the others from the beginning to the present.    If the leading fiat collapses, the next best takes over.  Gold automatically takes over when not being manipulated.

3.   How would one use such a whale stream to make one of the current top crypto currencies the unassailable new global reserve currency?

4.   Which leading blockchain would work best for such a strategy?  Why?

So far, there have not been many extra credit points awarded...

Offline yvv

• View Profile
@OP Did you try to publish novels? You definitely have a talent to out compete O. Henry and Ernest Hemingway. :)

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
i certainly wouldn't care about the inner motives of a participant as long as the rules of the system were observed and the purpose not subverted over time.

Offline Ben Mason

• View Profile
The characteristics you are describing lend themselves to participation without subversion. The nurturing hand of a parent, willing to sacrifice much with the prospect of largely non-financial (but no less substantial) rewards. I'm all for it. I'd do it now if I was a billionaire.....sadly I'm not.

These whales must be rarer than a blockchain loving central banker.  Where are these visionaries, these leaders, these lovers of legacy, these humanists, these 'good' billionaires?  We might as well look for aliens.  We are more likely to find such generosity of spirit and source of funding amongst the stars than amongst our terrestrial billionaires.

Where was Satoshi from again?

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
I've been trying to come up with a "whale benevolence" test.

I wouldn't require a whale to get zero benefit out of participating (I don't want to start with a null set).

But such a whale might have some of these characteristics:

1.  Willing to play by rules they didn't write themselves.
2.  Not insisting on owning their own private chain.
3.  Transparency in their dealings with the blockchain.
4.  Willingness to make occasional sacrifices not in their best interest.
5.  Being a contributing member of the community.
6.  Able to articulate some believable overarching motive besides world domination or ruthless profit.

One purpose of the OP was to put forward the concept of the blockchain as a referee.  Can blockchain technology help guarantee the "black box benevolence" of any whale for practical purposes?

What is black box benevolence?   Without being able to examine its inner motives, does it act benevolent when viewed as a black box?  If you constrain such a box with the rules of a blockchain, do you really care about its inner motives?

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 12:40:55 pm by Stan »