Author Topic: Sending to wrong addresses: it's a thing  (Read 4306 times)

Offline inarizushi

• View Profile
There are users who intentionally went around claiming typo names so they could return the funds in the event this happened. I wonder if these accounts were one of them?

I think @fuzzy may know more.

unfortunately i do not know on this one. what i did early on was try to get accounts on bitshares for people who sacrificed a great deal for the project and had some level of reputation in the community   i did this in hopes of "benevolently" squatting on them and giving them to those to whom they should belong. i did this because the last thing i wanted was for many who were basically poor from volunteering for bts (instead of working another job as a secret bts holder and stacking) being charged outrageous sums for an account name i thought a person deserved.

however, it was not long after i went and did this that it was made public that names would be nontransferrable.

that was on the 1.0 wallet though and i have since stopped using it and even asked riverhead to separate all those accounts from my wallet.  if any of those accounts have ever received funding i do not know to be honest.

hmm... okay maybe it wasn't you, but damnit i know this was a thing. I distinctly remember reading a post where somebody benefited from it

@CLains was it you maybe?

Indeed, *puts on monocle*

I chanced upon the reverse squat white hat trick with bternames,  as you may recall from this old post.

Unfortunately I don't have any other ones.

Gentlemen,
*tips fedora*

Thanks CLains for having done that, that was awesome of you. And thanks merockstar for remembering that!

So I've sent my money to someone who'll just drop it when he realizes he caught a fish, one more tiny drama in cryptoland. Makes me mad, but there's nothing I can do about it except asking for having a GUI foolproof protection feature here.

(And thanks fuzzy for having done benevolent name squatting in BitShares 0.9!)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 07:40:23 am by inarizushi »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
There are users who intentionally went around claiming typo names so they could return the funds in the event this happened. I wonder if these accounts were one of them?

unfortunately i do not know on this one. what i did early on was try to get accounts on bitshares for people who sacrificed a great deal for the project and had some level of reputation in the community   i did this in hopes of "benevolently" squatting on them and giving them to those to whom they should belong. i did this because the last thing i wanted was for many who were basically poor from volunteering for bts (instead of working another job as a secret bts holder and stacking) being charged outrageous sums for an account name i thought a person deserved.

however, it was not long after i went and did this that it was made public that names would be nontransferrable.

that was on the 1.0 wallet though and i have since stopped using it and even asked riverhead to separate all those accounts from my wallet.  if any of those accounts have ever received funding i do not know to be honest.

hmm... okay maybe it wasn't you, but damnit i know this was a thing. I distinctly remember reading a post where somebody benefited from it

Indeed, *puts on monocle*

I chanced upon the reverse squat white hat trick with bternames,  as you may recall from this old post.

Unfortunately I don't have any other ones.

Gentlemen,
*tips fedora*

unreadPostsSinceLastVisit

Offline fuzzy

WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
Agreed, its an easy and potentially costly mistake

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
@svk is it possible if we ask exchanges to add their own tabs to the Withdraw/deposit page?
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
http://cryptofresh.com/u/poloniex-wallet

with this data it must be possible to locate, as it does not seem to be any nomal user.
What do you mean by locate?

User 1.2.20820 is "polionexwallet", 1.2.20822 is "btercom", user 1.2.20823 is "polonexwallet", 1.2.20825 is "cryptsycom", and so on... None of those received anything yet.
The accounts before are gavin-andresen,  erik-voorhees, vitalik-buterin, maybe it's the guy called the name narwhal.

That's why we have the little icons/avatars. Even for similar names the icons will be completely different.
I know.. but acted too fast, I guess I don't bother looking at the avatars. From now I surely will...

Clearly the contacts screen is a nice/required feature.
Reading this, I guess those names are registered by bter.com..

//Edit:
... after the "bter" account registered by another guy.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 10:49:56 am by abit »
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

unreadPostsSinceLastVisit

Offline dannotestein

• View Profile
    • BlockTrades International
  • BitShares: btsnow
Agreed, its an easy and potentially costly mistake

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

http://blocktrades.us Fast/Safe/High-Liquidity Crypto Coin Converter

Offline inarizushi

• View Profile

with this data it must be possible to locate, as it does not seem to be any nomal user.
What do you mean by locate?

User 1.2.20820 is "polionexwallet", 1.2.20822 is "btercom", user 1.2.20823 is "polonexwallet", 1.2.20825 is "cryptsycom", and so on... None of those received anything yet.
The accounts before are gavin-andresen,  erik-voorhees, vitalik-buterin, maybe it's the guy called the name narwhal.

That's why we have the little icons/avatars. Even for similar names the icons will be completely different.
I know.. but acted too fast, I guess I don't bother looking at the avatars. From now I surely will...

Clearly the contacts screen is a nice/required feature.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline kenCode

• View Profile
    • Agorise

Yep, those identicons help, but I think the wallets really need a Contacts screen. This way you could just click on whom you want to send to (like i did in the mobile wallets).
kenCode - Decentraliser @ Agorise
Matrix/Keybase/Hive/Commun/Github: @Agorise
www.PalmPay.chat

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado

Offline openledger

• Board Moderator
  • Blockchain powered, people driven
    • View Profile
    • OpenLedger.info - Blockchain Solutions, Services and Products for Businesses
  • BitShares: ccedkbts

OpenLedger blockchain in services and solutions - https://openledger.info
BitShares explorer: https://bitsharescan.com
BitShares commitee member since 2015

Offline inarizushi

• View Profile
Hello everybody,

Today I sent 100,000 BTS to "poloniex-wallet". (The legit address is poloniexwallet). And last week I sent 20 bitUSD to "polloniexwallet".
I'm the only happy giver to poloniex-wallet and polloniexwallet, so it's probably not a common problem, but I guess I'm not the only human being able to be that clumsy, and so, it's probably a problem worth considering (like, showing some pop-up window when it's the first time you send to an address may have solved my mistakes in these two cases).

"Nice job" to whoever possesses those accounts. No need to mention, I hate myself right now. 

If the happy possessor(s) of those addresses could refund me, completely (wow, a white hat trap name holder would be awesome) or partially (I validate your business model, you help me feel less shitty), I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks..