Author Topic: Is it possible to destroy some of your UIA?  (Read 3723 times)

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
My understanding is that you would also need to keep your option open to change the supply of your UIA.
By default this option is left open when creating or editing your UIA.

Technically, the "issuer" can change max supply anytime and reissue shares that have been "reserved"/burned.
However, the issuer of BTS is the null-account. That means that no one can reissue shares that have been burned.
And all the blockchain can possibly reissue (through worker and witness pay) is up to the max supply. No one can change the max supply of BTS

A clarification on using "reserve asset"

If you perform this action and burn your UIA taking it out of circulation, can you then re-issue it later?  Or does it just mean that  your maximum supply has dropped by the burned amount. 

Example:

ABC token has max supply of 500,000.  I burn 100,000.  Can I re-issue the 100,000 burned or does my ABC token effectively now have a max suppy of 400,000

Thanks

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Technically, the "issuer" can change max supply anytime and reissue shares that have been "reserved"/burned.
However, the issuer of BTS is the null-account. That means that no one can reissue shares that have been burned.
And all the blockchain can possibly reissue (through worker and witness pay) is up to the max supply. No one can change the max supply of BTS

If you perform this action and burn your UIA taking it out of circulation, can you then re-issue it later?  Or does it just mean that  your maximum supply has dropped by the burned amount. 

Example:

ABC token has max supply of 500,000.  I burn 100,000.  Can I re-issue the 100,000 burned or does my ABC token effectively now have a max suppy of 400,000

Thanks

Offline warmach

Example:

Thanks

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
The fees are not transfered to the issuer instead they are accumulated and waiting for the issuer to actually claim them .. while they wait, they are out of circulation and can be seen by everyone
Would it be possible though, to have an option where they are not accumulated but simply destroyed. So that they do not have to be claimed by anyone?
The issuer controls the supply anyways and can issue them at will. If you opt-out of that control entierly, you can aswell accumulate the fee as no one can claim them anymore then.

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
The fees are not transfered to the issuer instead they are accumulated and waiting for the issuer to actually claim them .. while they wait, they are out of circulation and can be seen by everyone
Would it be possible though, to have an option where they are not accumulated but simply destroyed. So that they do not have to be claimed by anyone?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
Coming back to this.
I see that the 'reserve' function allows you to manually destroy some of your UIA.
However would it be possible to set up your UIA so that the fee charged for the trade of the UIA is automatically burned.

So the fee would not be transferred to the account who created the UIA but would simply be destroyed.

If such a feature does not exist, would it be possible for such a feature to be coded into Bitshares in the future? It would be a much cleaner way to implement fees under certain circumstances.

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
if you are the asset issuer, then you can do that in the "Assets" page of the web wallet .. there is a button called "Reserve Asset".

Offline dannotestein

• View Profile
    • BlockTrades International
  • BitShares: btsnow
I was looking at how the fees worked on UIAs.
I see that a token can get transferred back to the issuer through transaction fees paid.

However, what if the issuer wants to take the token out of existence on receiving it.
Or simply remove tokens the issuer issued to himself thereby reducing the number of issued tokens.

Is this possible to do?

EDIT: I see the option to 'reserve asset'. Is this the equivalent of burning/destroying it?
From the source code docs, looks like you found the right command:

/** Burns the given user-issued asset.
       * This command burns the user-issued asset to reduce the amount in circulation.
       * @note you cannot burn market-issued assets.
       * @param from the account containing the asset you wish to burn
       * @param amount the amount to burn, in nominal units
       * @param symbol the name or id of the asset to burn
       * @param broadcast true to broadcast the transaction on the network
       * @returns the signed transaction burning the asset
       */
      signed_transaction reserve_asset(string from,
                                    string amount,
                                    string symbol,
                                    bool broadcast = false);
http://blocktrades.us Fast/Safe/High-Liquidity Crypto Coin Converter

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
I was looking at how the fees worked on UIAs.
I see that a token can get transferred back to the issuer through transaction fees paid.

However, what if the issuer wants to take the token out of existence on receiving it.
Or simply remove tokens the issuer issued to himself thereby reducing the number of issued tokens.

Is this possible to do?

EDIT: I see the option to 'reserve asset'. Is this the equivalent of burning/destroying it?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 06:17:20 pm by MrJeans »