Author Topic: Bytemaster and team are no longer working on Bitshares?  (Read 21136 times)

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
thanks dan for your thoughts.

call me naive, but i believed this stuff "we had to sell for pay our staff " thing etc. so i didn't considered this
kind of ANN on April 1.

sorry, maybe you know more, because you get more information from the inner circles, but for me as an outsider it was not a well placed move. If i had BTS as an interest i would have done it differently, i think we as a community deserved better.

not one big move was discussed openly and we just had to swollow anything. Maybe it is a good thing that now new blood is stepping up, but it will cost 1-2 year time for adaption. i didn't see this happen.

Offline dannotestein

• View Profile
    • BlockTrades International
  • BitShares: btsnow
hi dan,

with "cargo" i meant the sold BTS in secret for month.

It is true that many people can take over, but do you really believe that when Vitalik would leave ETH it will not hurth the market and the potential of ETH? People would look into his new "baby" and would ETH leave behind, because they would suspect it will be much better then ETH.

In my eyes the core founder leaving BTS activly behind is just killing for 1 year at least.
It's true that BM sold off some significant portion of his BTS holdings prior to formally announcing his departure to Steemit, but I guess it's been obvious for some time that he was dumping shares (with BitShares being so transparent, moves by whales are usually noticed within hours and BM's accounts were closely watched).

I'm sure BM leaving BTS development to work on Steemit hurt its value in two ways: 1) he hasn't been contributing to BitShares as much for a long while and 2) now that it's formally announced that he's actively working on another project, people can't kid themselves that he's working on BitShares still despite the lack of commits from him.

Despite that, I haven't seen a huge drop in BTS price, mainly because I think many people had already factored this in to some extent and also because some people saw disadvantages to BM's strong control of BitShares development. Now that there's no one that can really dominate the future of BitShares or make huge changes in the rules with limited consent from the community, it's a much more predictable platform to build on.

I don't think it's likely to see people leaving BTS for STEEM, mainly because they are two very different projects. I'm involved in steem, but for entirely different reasons than I'm involved in BitShares, so there's no reason to leave one for the other. I'm more involved with BitShares than ever, as I think we're making solid steps towards what BitShares needs to be and I'll use steemit where I can to promote that. I can also say that nearly all the BTSers involved in steemit are still also very involved in BTS (I know of one exception, but he had left BTS before steemit was ever announced).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 08:47:15 pm by dannotestein »
http://blocktrades.us Fast/Safe/High-Liquidity Crypto Coin Converter

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
All you naysayers are just pissing in the wind, while the others are building better ships.

It's been the same way for a long time now, a handful of visionary giants being dogged by a gaggle of myopic treasure hunters who should have never left shore, but simply invested in Apple stock and sucked down more diet coke while watching the 10 o'clock news and imagining themselves to be masters of their own destiny.

Ranting here about how you were victimized while backing a project on the bleeding edge of human imagination is just pathetic.

Some people build ships that cross oceans with their bare hands... and some passengers take masochistic delight in lamenting how their ship hasn't yet arrived in the promised land and that the ocean is vast and filled with terrifying mysteries, but the blame is never with them, always with some other hand controlling their fate, the captain, pirates, or the ocean itself.

Once upon a time the whole lot of you would be keel-hauled.  Nowadays you have the luxury of stinking up the decks with your own vomit.  Let's see where that gets you.

i found this story in my fairytale book:

It was promised to build a great ship, but the builders needed more funds to make their dream a reality. So they looked for supporters and donors and took their funds with the promise to build this great ship. Many of these people believed in this vision and invested their own money in this project.

- so the first ship was built it worked and many of the builders started to build their own ships and promised to give the investors portions of everything they will find

- the headbuilder then decided to destroy all other ships and make a bigger, greater ship, because it would serve as a one unity better then more smaller ships
- the investors could just follow, because the believed the whole project would be fall apart without the headbuilder

- so the great ship got bigger and some investors started to build some attachments to it BUT then

- the headbuilder suprised everyone that he and his friends built a better ship in secret and left the first, great ship behind
- the attachment builders where left behind, because nothing the builded worked with the new ship
- the new ship was not for free, the investors gave up their promise to get 10% of everything, because the headbuilder argued he build the second ship on his own

- many things where promised and everyone where exited again, BUT
- many advantages got chanceled because of time

- after it was clear that nothing will be done in the future without the approval of the community, the headbuilder left the project, because the ship was "ready"
- he builded "again" a better ship, but this time he left most of the investors behind and took some friends with him.

"You are better on your own, everything is ready nothing is left i promised, so i want to do new things"

- the people on the second shipped realized that most of the stuff of the headbuilder left in secret from the cargo. More and more people left the second ship, some swam to the third ship, but most took the rest they had and looked for better builders outside, because they wanted to be a part of something special, but could
not build on their own.
Parts of this story sound familiar, but one glaring fallacy is "most of the stuff of the headbuilder left in secret from the cargo". Steem doesn't compete with BitShares: as has been pointed out already, it only supports trading its own fixed set of assets (Steem and Steem-backed dollars).

There's also the implicit fallacy that no one else but the "headbuilder" could upgrade the ship. BitShares is an open-source project and there are plenty of people capable of updating the BitShares code base. SVK continues to do wonders at advancing the web wallet. One of the original developer's of the blockchain code, Nathan, is working on integration with it now. BlockTrades is also supporting the code base (we developed the peer-to-peer networking code it uses and we just recently fixed an issue in the memo encryption code).

It's true there's not a lot of working going on in the core code right now, but that's mainly because we think adding support for more tradeable assets and improvements to the UI are higher priority tasks at the moment than adding new features to the blockchain code. Nevertheless, there are plans to add some new features to BitShares: we're starting to work now on a mechanism for paying dividends to UIA holders via new operations as an early part of the peerplays effort.

hi dan,

with "cargo" i meant the sold BTS in secret for month.

It is true that many people can take over, but do you really believe that when Vitalik would leave ETH it will not hurth the market and the potential of ETH? People would look into his new "baby" and would ETH leave behind, because they would suspect it will be much better then ETH.

In my eyes the core founder leaving BTS activly behind is just killing for 1 year at least.

Offline dannotestein

• View Profile
    • BlockTrades International
  • BitShares: btsnow
All you naysayers are just pissing in the wind, while the others are building better ships.

It's been the same way for a long time now, a handful of visionary giants being dogged by a gaggle of myopic treasure hunters who should have never left shore, but simply invested in Apple stock and sucked down more diet coke while watching the 10 o'clock news and imagining themselves to be masters of their own destiny.

Ranting here about how you were victimized while backing a project on the bleeding edge of human imagination is just pathetic.

Some people build ships that cross oceans with their bare hands... and some passengers take masochistic delight in lamenting how their ship hasn't yet arrived in the promised land and that the ocean is vast and filled with terrifying mysteries, but the blame is never with them, always with some other hand controlling their fate, the captain, pirates, or the ocean itself.

Once upon a time the whole lot of you would be keel-hauled.  Nowadays you have the luxury of stinking up the decks with your own vomit.  Let's see where that gets you.

It was promised to build a great ship, but the builders needed more funds to make their dream a reality. So they looked for supporters and donors and took their funds with the promise to build this great ship. Many of these people believed in this vision and invested their own money in this project.

- so the first ship was built it worked and many of the builders started to build their own ships and promised to give the investors portions of everything they will find

- the headbuilder then decided to destroy all other ships and make a bigger, greater ship, because it would serve as a one unity better then more smaller ships
- the investors could just follow, because the believed the whole project would be fall apart without the headbuilder

- so the great ship got bigger and some investors started to build some attachments to it BUT then

- the headbuilder suprised everyone that he and his friends built a better ship in secret and left the first, great ship behind
- the attachment builders where left behind, because nothing the builded worked with the new ship
- the new ship was not for free, the investors gave up their promise to get 10% of everything, because the headbuilder argued he build the second ship on his own

- after it was clear that nothing will be done in the future without the approval of the community, the headbuilder left the project, because the ship was "ready"
- he builded "again" a better ship, but this time he left most of the investors behind and took some friends with him.

"You are better on your own, everything is ready nothing is left i promised, so i want to do new things"

- the people on the second shipped realized that most of the stuff of the headbuilder left in secret from the cargo. More and more people left the second ship, some swam to the third ship, but most took the rest they had and looked for better builders outside, because they wanted to be a part of something special, but could
not build on their own.
Parts of this story sound familiar, but one glaring fallacy is "most of the stuff of the headbuilder left in secret from the cargo". Steem doesn't compete with BitShares: as has been pointed out already, it only supports trading its own fixed set of assets (Steem and Steem-backed dollars).

There's also the implicit fallacy that no one else but the "headbuilder" could upgrade the ship. BitShares is an open-source project and there are plenty of people capable of updating the BitShares code base. SVK continues to do wonders at advancing the web wallet. One of the original developer's of the blockchain code, Nathan, is working on integration with it now. BlockTrades is also supporting the code base (we developed the peer-to-peer networking code it uses and we just recently fixed an issue in the memo encryption code).

It's true there's not a lot of working going on in the core code right now, but that's mainly because we think adding support for more tradeable assets and improvements to the UI are higher priority tasks at the moment than adding new features to the blockchain code. Nevertheless, there are plans to add some new features to BitShares: we're starting to work now on a mechanism for paying dividends to UIA holders via new operations as an early part of the peerplays effort.
http://blocktrades.us Fast/Safe/High-Liquidity Crypto Coin Converter

Offline D4vegee

• View Profile

not build on their own.

Summed up perfectly.

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange

not build on their own.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 04:54:12 pm by Shentist »

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile

Please give us some reasons on how you believe the larimers didn't take advantage of their investors...

So far I have not seen anything thst shows they are even remotely shareholder friendly.  Some of the things they have done are borderline fraudulent.

The best companies treat there shareholders well while also continuing to innovate.  You need one to have the other. Constantly shifting projects and discarding former investors just continues to damage their credibility.  Without fair treatment investors, people don't invest anymore and you lose your development funds.

I've seen the post that says we are acting entitled and we should shut up and quit whining.  The fact is we are entitled. We are entitled to transparency and honesty from the sellers and leaders of our investment. That's all people really want. The way cnx does business is so opaque, but it wasn't always like that until sometime around the merger.  They changed the way they communicated and that's where the problems began.

I could probably count the remaining larimers supporters on 2 hands.  There use to be thousands who steadfastly supported everything he did.  If that doesn't show you something went wrong along the way, then you have drunken way too much of the Kool Aid

Offline lovejoy

• View Profile
    • Cryptofresh
  • BitShares: lovejoy
Now that I got that out of my system, I think I'll buy some more BTS.   8)

Offline lovejoy

• View Profile
    • Cryptofresh
  • BitShares: lovejoy

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Wow. The only question I have now is how long until Steem adopts/steals BTS's concepts without actually bringing all BTS holders on board? You guys have to realize this is going to happen right? BM and company made a new Bitshares. They just went about it backwards and made something new and different to separate itself from BTS, then walla. Introducing Steem Dex and pegged currencies, steemUSD......
In STEEM there are only 3 assets .. and no more are available. If you took a look at the protocol level implementation of this, you would understand that STEEM will never be as flexible as BitShares when it comes to being a multi-asset DEX.

Offline NewMine

• View Profile
Steem is based on graphene, the same sources as BitShares, and does not compete with BitShares directly (only for the developer time)
Many of the improments made in Steem have been promised to be migrated over to BitShares once final.

Wow. The only question I have now is how long until Steem adopts/steals BTS's concepts without actually bringing all BTS holders on board? You guys have to realize this is going to happen right? BM and company made a new Bitshares. They just went about it backwards and made something new and different to separate itself from BTS, then walla. Introducing Steem Dex and pegged currencies, steemUSD......

Offline Erlich Bachman

• I'm a pro
    • View Profile
lol, well frankly, my schlong is certainly big enough to please me, ladies

oops, sorry, wrong forum

thought i'd stumbled into the pussy section

after reading these teary eyed posts around here, can you blame me?

whelp, I guess, I'm off in search of the men's forum

oh, and the answer to the OP is, of course BM is still perfecting the Graphene engine that powers BitShares.  STEEM has the same type of motor.

A nickel invested by an 8th grader in the Ethereum IPO cashed out today would be enough to purchase your entire BTS stake, so I suggest you sell it to the snot nose kid pronto, and then dry your tears so that you can see what happens next.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 06:35:31 pm by Erlich Bachman »
You own the network, but who pays for development?

chryspano

hm.... I'm not quite sure about that, what really happened, and how you represent it happening are two completly different things.

Btw what do you do when the price starts to recover and you are short? You call newmine and friends ofcourse and hope for the "best"!

Offline Pheonike

The lesson is, when you try to make everyone happy  no one is happy. If you try to make yourself happy, at least one person is.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Here is a question for the trolls, is there any scenario in which bitshares does not go to the moon without someone being labeled a criminal/scammer???

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

No one is talking about bitshares being a scam here... we are talking (as the title of the thread says) about how the Larimers are no longer working on bitshares.  They have jumped to a new project in hopes that they can sell more investments.  Bitshares is beyond their control, so there is no longer any use for them to stay.

In my opinion I think CNX thought they could use the bts worker proposal system as a cash cow... but it backfired on them.

I tend to agree. And they do not want to just be paid for useful work they want to do on BTS. That is too much trouble - explaining, defending the need of that work/feature. What they want is full freedom to do whatever work come to their mind...unobstructed, uncontested, fully appreciated and voted in 'no question asked' the second such work is proposed [btw, that is the logic behind me thinking the so called non-dilution might have a valid point... but  everybody "knew" what they are - they are just stupid and or want to destroy bts by stopping all development]

And BM and co. are indeed learning their lessons and getting better at what they do. They came with something better for their needs. I agree with their assessment - That is to say STEEM is much much better positioned to serve their agenda. Even moderate success of steem will get them their guaranteed stream of income they so crave.... unfortunately that same design so good for milking relatively small amounts (hundred of thousands yearly), is a design that prevents the true big success of the project of even being possible.

PS BTW they same improved design will be a enormous night mare (BTS being a true child play in comparison) if/when BM someday decides he is no longer interested in that toy anymore.
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.