Author Topic: Easiest way to have >1 account/wallet w/o linkage?  (Read 2232 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Do you know if the connection is torn down when a new wallet is opened?
Nop .. it's not

The best way here for even better privacy might simply be running a dedicated ws endpoint.
Certainly!!

@xeroc are you aware if there are any plans to develop socks5 proxy support for the wallet? (in the mean time transparent proxying works, but for reaching a wider audience, proper proxy support is essential imo)
Don't know of anyone working on that .. can a websocket connection be
proxied through socks5? Probably. I can tell you that the "endpoint" is
actually proxing already. All websocket traffic goes through nginx (for
SSL) and gets proxied (and load balanced) to the real witness nodes by
nginx

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Actually, I transparently proxy the wallet through tor, so no they don't.
I wouldn't be so sure about that!

The webwallet opens a *persistent* websocket connection and
communications everything over that connection.
If you pull data for many accounts, Openledger could still correlate
accounts with the connection and link them (even though I know for a
fact that they (currently) do not do that)

That's a good point, I thought it might do something like this and always have the extra work to leave the wallet open only on an empty wallet for monitoring the markets.

But if OL really wanted, all it would take really is to open a wallet with >1 accounts for a split second.

Do you know if the connection is torn down when a new wallet is opened?
(edit: just checked it on the wire, and it isn't)

The best way here for even better privacy might simply be running a dedicated ws endpoint.

@xeroc are you aware if there are any plans to develop socks5 proxy support for the wallet? (in the mean time transparent proxying works, but for reaching a wider audience, proper proxy support is essential imo)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 03:01:50 pm by karnal »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I wouldn't be so sure about that!

The webwallet opens a *persistent* websocket connection and
communications everything over that connection.
If you pull data for many accounts, Openledger could still correlate
accounts with the connection and link them (even though I know for a
fact that they (currently) do not do that)

Offline karnal

• View Profile

Also, privacy is not a binary on/off switch, there is a vast in between.

Had you read my posts instead of rushing to a preconceived notion, you would've understood that what I'm seeking clarification on is whether the potential deanonymizing vector described above exists or not.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 10:08:49 am by karnal »

Offline Chronos

If you connect to OpenLedger, they have your IP address.

If you transact on two accounts using OpenLedger, those accounts can be associated because the transactions came from the same IP address.

If you want privacy, turn off all electronics forever (or take someone else's advice).

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Yeah, I feared as much.

Any idea regarding the possible privacy leak exposed above? I mean, this limitation must be client-side, as openledger has no way of knowing that the keys which map to more than the first account in the wallet come from that first key, correct?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
the web wallet won't let you create more accounts if you already have an account in the wallet. Reasons is because they cost the faucet money and regular users don't need more than one.

You can still get more accounts in the same wallet, by creating new accounts in new (empty) wallets and manually importing all 3(!!!) private keys into your main wallet.
Note, that you cannot backup your wallet with only the brain key then!!

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

I know I can create new wallets, what I'd like is to create more accounts in the same wallet.

When one account already exists, the create account button eventually leads to a dialog that asks which account to pay the registration from.
Turns out, only lifetime members can do that.

Since AFAIK it is not possible to correlate accounts to a wallet by the derivation of the keys, this must be a limitation implemented on the wallet side, or (for instance) openledger would have no way of knowing that account N is part of the wallet where the original account was also registered.

In fact, for privacy reasons it would be important to confirm that the above is true.

But to reiterate, the question is how to have more than one account per wallet while also registering the 2nd, 3rd, etc account, with (for instance) openledger.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
you can create a new "wallet" in the wallet management console and get a new account ..
you can switch between wallets at any time.
No need to change browser, or address

unreadPostsSinceLastVisit

bitshares.org/wallet and bitshares.openledger.info can each host a different wallet.

then you can install chromium and bravo and opera and whatever else for more potential distinct wallets.

not sure I understand the question though,
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 03:24:48 am by merockstar »

Offline karnal

• View Profile
In this particular case it was no problem to link the accounts (via the registration fee), but turns out only lifetime members can register accounts (heh).

Is it possible in other way, to have more than one account in the wallet? (w/o importing keys that are not derived)