Author Topic: Forget Smartcoins, how about Dreamcoins?  (Read 25673 times)

Offline yvv

• View Profile
Reminder: A short is a bet that a given asset will fall in value. Would YOU like to short a Sumo?  :P

Of course, because it will periodically fall in price against BTS by a good amount.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
there's nothing to market until it's setup :)
erm .. ethereum manages to create quite some buzz about their infinite scalability they want to reach in less than 12 months
they also managed to create a lot of attention just because of their whitepaper

Also,
"buy the rumor, sell the news" just wouldn't exist if people made things first and only then market it ..

sure, but is it the right thing to do?

I'm happy to help if you guys want to run a "ICO" kind of thing - I think stan should write the sales pitch though.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
erm .. ethereum manages to create quite some buzz about their infinite scalability they want to reach in less than 12 months
they also managed to create a lot of attention just because of their whitepaper

Also,
"buy the rumor, sell the news" just wouldn't exist if people made things first and only then market it ..

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
why not setup that thing, post what you need and let people decide if it's worth to jump in?

we need to stop talking and start doing - it's been a very bad habit in bitshares
This asset REQUIRES marketing! You can't just create a new asset publish price feeds and hope for people to come across this by accident.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
why not setup that thing, post what you need and let people decide if it's worth to jump in?

we need to stop talking and start doing - it's been a very bad habit in bitshares
This asset REQUIRES marketing! You can't just create a new asset publish price feeds and hope for people to come across this by accident.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!

Offline Chronos

Reminder: A short is a bet that a given asset will fall in value. Would YOU like to short a Sumo?  :P

Offline yvv

• View Profile
People here think of shorting as of disaster. It is not. It may be an opportunity, depending on market state. Just don't short below your call price and keep your collateral low. You are pretty safe this way. :)

Offline yvv

• View Profile
  I have to be missing something because I can't see why anyone would ever short this product...

For same reason they short bitUSD, bitCNY etc: to gamble on BTS volatility.

But like chronos said, why wouldn't they just continue to short the weaker fiat currencies instead of a "sumo" or "maxo" that is constantly appreciating?

They would be appreciating at  +5% per year. 5% per year is roughly 0.01% per day. Check charts for BTS volatility. Plenty of room to make profit.

Offline Chronos

This idea could bring new eyeballs to Bitshares, but some of the "benevolent whale" reasoning in this thread seems illogical to me.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
I'm sure there will be demand for smartcoins that track people's native currencies.

But the Sumo/Maxo are for people who want to flee to safety and have a way to save and earn.
That's a whole different market.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
  I have to be missing something because I can't see why anyone would ever short this product...

But like chronos said, why wouldn't they just continue to short the weaker fiat currencies instead of a "sumo" or "maxo" that is constantly appreciating?

Only reason I could think why they would short would be because there would be ample amount of "sumo" or "maxo" to cover with, but even then it seems like the coins would be in such high demand that no one would be willing to sell them.

That's a nice problem to have.

"Go ahead and keep your Dreamos, we'll make more."

« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 03:34:55 am by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile

Only reason I could think why they would short would be because there would be ample amount of "sumo" or "maxo" to cover with, but even then it seems like the coins would be in such high demand that no one would be willing to sell them.

Offline yvv

• View Profile

Offline okidoki

• View Profile
-We need people to short it into existence, but the only reason to do that is to think that BTS will rise by greater than 5% per year vs the basket of currencies
-Since there is no reason to think bts will rise more than 10% each year since BTS isn't profitable and even BM has said increased network activity won't drive BTS market cap higher, no one will short it.

You are really a permasceptic... :)

We all know that a 5% YoY appreciatian of a crypto is really a huge goal to set, but it is possible... especially if the entire cryptomarket increases to a 50 Billion mark in the next 3 years... ;)