Author Topic: Mining LiveCD Project - Funds Available  (Read 17479 times)

Offline FreeTrade

• View Profile
GPU can be done as well, but due to GPL restrictions as reorder mentioned, some magic has to be done. It works nicely for AMD, for Nvidia we can work it out. More challenging is that each pool has its own miner at the moment. But this may change in near future.

I will try to prepare CPU live miner as soon as possible. I plan to use yam only. If somebody has a decent hosting let me know. The iso file will be under 200MB.

Thanks for this. yvg1900 indicates that he doesn't think choice of linux OS will be a particularly important factor.

Yam miner will be an excellent choice to start - it allows use of the two pools that don't require user/pass.
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline FreeTrade

• View Profile
GPU can be done as well, but due to GPL restrictions as reorder mentioned, some magic has to be done. It works nicely for AMD, for Nvidia we can work it out. More challenging is that each pool has its own miner at the moment. But this may change in near future.

I will try to prepare CPU live miner as soon as possible. I plan to use yam only. If somebody has a decent hosting let me know. The iso file will be under 200MB.

Hey that's great. We just got new hosting setup for memorycoin.org and we can start with that - we'll probably want to get torrents set up for distribution though.
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline h0g0f0g0

• View Profile

Offline FreeTrade

• View Profile
The GPU setup seems not possible on LiveCD: proprietary AMD and Nvidia drivers cannot be bundled due to license restrictions, so they need to be downloaded/setup on each boot. But, they require reboot after setup, and this will be effectively restore the system to its virgin state without a persistent storage.

Besides, CD/DVD drives are becoming a rarity. LiveUSB seems to be a better option for such a distribution.

The GPU part will definitely be more challenging, but we can get started with CPU without too much trouble I hope. LiveUSB works too, but I think desktop machines will likely still have CD or DVD for some time. I think distribution of CDs is cheaper and lower config than USB so I like the CD option more.

Offline FreeTrade

• View Profile
Oooh, I like the idea. 

The zero-config is possible, but much more difficult with a no data storage requirement (i.e., LiveCD).  Is the intent to make it easy for anyone to set-up a single machine for repeated mining, or to start mining an any machine one and only one time?

This is for my grandmother. I want to have CD that I give her that she put in the computer, switch it on and have it start mining for her.

I think she'd be able to enter her MMC address the first time she starts it - she'd understand that . . . . but any other configuration would be completely impossible for her.

I'm thinking it shouldn't access any storage, so that we can add the latest and greatest miners to the distribution without worrying too much that the binaries might be malicious.

Offline reorder

• View Profile
The GPU setup seems not possible on LiveCD: proprietary AMD and Nvidia drivers cannot be bundled due to license restrictions, so they need to be downloaded/setup on each boot. But, they require reboot after setup, and this will be effectively restore the system to its virgin state without a persistent storage.

Besides, CD/DVD drives are becoming a rarity. LiveUSB seems to be a better option for such a distribution.

Offline MaxPWR

• Sink 2UR Source
    • View Profile
    • Max's Power Plant
Oooh, I like the idea. 

The zero-config is possible, but much more difficult with a no data storage requirement (i.e., LiveCD).  Is the intent to make it easy for anyone to set-up a single machine for repeated mining, or to start mining an any machine one and only one time?

Easiest way is a LiveUSB and installing a new partition.  MMC could maintain shell scripts to autoinstall / configure everything else.  After first install, machine would auto-start into mining. 

Or, you could actually install onto a USB instead of HD (and instead of just a LiveUSB).  But an OS on a USB is sloooow...but, some minimal / custom distros like centOS or BAMT may fix that.

Would a LiveCD run into any memory / speed issues?

You can't stop the signal, Mal. Everything goes somewhere, and I go everywhere.

PWR UP: MAXVTEoYhDfWJjvkNm2ZmUhHpYbsPYuybg

Offline icheer

• View Profile
 :P i have used minimal centOS to dig PTS until yesterday
and i began to dig MMC, because PTS's profit is too low
btw, i think it's sort of easy to install a linux into usb disk and wget a m7j miner~

Offline h0g0f0g0

• View Profile
There's a dead project over here, but it does what you want and can be easily updated:

http://live-miner.github.io/

I'm personally using similar solution and can help to tweak this out. However I don't have any NVidia GPU to test on, this version is built for AMD (fglrx driver etc..).

Variables for the miner can be delivered via boot options, it also boots from USB stick or over PXE so the configuration can be stored there. PM me if you have further questions.

Offline FreeTrade

• View Profile

Offline FreeTrade

• View Profile
Is anybody interested in managing a project to create a LiveCD (Bootable CD) that makes mining easy for everyone.

The idea is that anyone can put the CD into any computer, and it just boots up and starts pool mining with whatever hardware it finds. It should be zero-configuration if possible, although the user will probably need to enter an MMC address.

I guess it would be best

1. Linux
2. Didn't access the hard-disk or usb or network drives
3. Auto configured network access
4. Found the best hardware (GPUs and CPUs), looked at the memory available, and made some sensible decisions about which miners to launch, and started them