Author Topic: Mining LiveCD Project - Funds Available  (Read 17483 times)

Offline h0g0f0g0

• View Profile
How can you use 1GB for 8 threads? On my box 1024 MB is minimum amount per thread.

Offline FreeTrade

• View Profile
The approach I'm using for the zero-config GUI is to use 1GB and threads set to 0 (same as number of cores).

I think these are better defaults . . . say if you have an 8 core machine with 4GB . . . you might only be running with 3 threads with your approach. The user would see better results with 8 threads and 1GB.
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline h0g0f0g0

• View Profile
It auto-detects AES support and sets number of threads according to available memory.

The only thing that has to be done manually in auto mode is to set MMC wallet address. With auto off all parameters are configurable.

See yam-live.cfg for further details.

Offline FreeTrade

• View Profile
Cool - is it able to autodetect AES-NI . . . or how does it deal with that config setting?
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline seraphim

Meet you on STEEM

Offline Delinquency

• View Profile
I haven't tried it out yet, so pardon my ignorance. I have a question/request:

Is it possible to create a "stealth USB stick" ? I'm thinking of a room mate who has a Windows PC. So he is away, and his/her PC is idling. I insert a "stealth USB stick", it creates a virtual machine and starts mining MMC. Then, when he/she needs the PC back, just pull out the stealth USB stick.

Possible to do? The advantage, as I understand, would be that it required no reboot, so the room mate can carry on with their work on the PC as soon as they come back.

You may want to just hack his windows pw with ophcrack ( if it is locked)

Play around with task scheduler.
Make the miner run after 15 minutes of inactivity. (ALWAYS run low priority)

Otherwise, put the files on the USB disk and run the .bat from it.

Offline Armchair Miner

• View Profile
I haven't tried it out yet, so pardon my ignorance. I have a question/request:

Is it possible to create a "stealth USB stick" ? I'm thinking of a room mate who has a Windows PC. So he is away, and his/her PC is idling. I insert a "stealth USB stick", it creates a virtual machine and starts mining MMC. Then, when he/she needs the PC back, just pull out the stealth USB stick.

Possible to do? The advantage, as I understand, would be that it required no reboot, so the room mate can carry on with their work on the PC as soon as they come back.

Offline h0g0f0g0

• View Profile
Thanks for a feedback as well as for the coins.

Now I focused on making things simple and target audience is your grandma ;)

The file is located at http://memorycoin.org/downloads/livecd/releases/yam-live-1.2-M7j.zip and contains only USB image.

Use Disk Imager (http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/files/) to save it onto a USB stick or in Linux:
Code: [Select]
dd if=binary.img of=/dev/sdx
where x is the correct dsk.

The only thing that needs to be changed is the wallet address in /live/yam-live.cfg.
All is set to auto and should work out of the box.

LiveCD and netboot image available as well but I wasn't uploading it this time. I have the toolchain ready for the future, but at the moment I think the most people will use USB miner only.

Let me know if it works for you and if there's anything to add/change.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 12:02:45 am by h0g0f0g0 »

Offline FreeTrade

• View Profile
Thanks,

I've been testing this out today - great start on the project - 1000MMC on its way to you.

My thoughts are -

LiveCD works, but difficult to configure - as others recommend, I now think better to focus on liveUSB, and when that is more settled, make a liveCD variant.

LiveUSB -

I used the windows program recommended to create the USB stick, then altered the config and now have a bootable OS that starts mining on the network PC. It found the right chipset to use too. Love the miner pic on boot up too!

Problems:
1. It starts out trying to mine 8 threads on an 8GB machine - not finding enough memory and crashing, so I have to set the config to 7 threads. That makes the USB stick specific to machines that use 7 threads (and config is tough for my grandmother). I found with the windows-qt client that it was quite easy to find the amount of physical memory available on the machine and set the number of threads accordingly. I think this probably belongs in YAM autoconfiguration, along with auto-detection of AES-NI.

2. Config is a hassle - need some way to set mining address after boot-up, maybe from keyboard entry (possibly just first 6 chars, grab addresses from an address autocomplete api), or use a hardware signature(and/or ip address) to lookup a mining address from a web service.

Overall though, great start - any thoughts for a name?

emre

thanks to h0g0f0g0, first test release of livecd is ready.

http://memorycoin.org/downloads/livecd/releases/yam-live-1.1-M7j.zip

it includes:

• hdd -binary.img that can be transferred to usb stick. Configuration is in /live/yam-live.cfg or can be added at boot time via boot options
  • iso - contains an iso file that has to be remastered to contain custom config or boot options can be used
  • netboot - archive for network deployment via PXE/TFTP

please test it and give feedback. for the usage instructions just read the readme.html file in the archive.

@freetrade, @seraphim can we have a support thread for livecd project?

emre

Emre, can you get an FTP login space setup for hog? If we get a download link and some instructions setup, people can start testing it out.

done! pm'ed the releated information to hog.

Offline h0g0f0g0

• View Profile
Download link is in PM, just use the latest version. Instructions are in the archive.

Offline FreeTrade

• View Profile
Cool thanks - I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Emre, can you get an FTP login space setup for hog? If we get a download link and some instructions setup, people can start testing it out.

Offline h0g0f0g0

• View Profile
Live miner is ready, check your PM.