Author Topic: Mining LiveCD Project - Funds Available  (Read 17580 times)

Offline Shuxy

• View Profile
Awesome project, thanks :)!

Adding on to what FreeTrade said on wifi, would it be possible to include a config file in the meantime for users to specify the SSID and password to connect to for wifi? :)

Offline h0g0f0g0

• View Profile
Thanks! 500MMC tip on its way to you.

I think its fully functional and useful enough now to recommend to our users.

Thinking of some future potential improvements -

1. Advising user if MMC address not configured and refusing to start mining.
2. Prompting for Wifi network selection / password (I guess difficult to auto configure wifi hardware)
3. GPU mining (I guess difficult to auto configure gpu drivers)
4. Not sure if it's safe to remove the USB after starting mining - seems to work ok on one machine, not on another. Would be useful for booting up a room full of PCs from a single USB drive. Maybe copying OS to RAM disk or similar.

Thanks for the coins, much appreciated.

1. Miner can be distributed without preconfigured address and verify if address field is empty. If it is, it can display a warning. I guess nobody wants to type address in a console. But as I said in other thread, config can be generated from wallet. Even the whole USB can be written from there.
2. Wifi hw support is not built in as there are simply so many vendors and configuration options. I guess nobody wants to run miner over wifi, but I can have a look into this as well. Can be feature added once the full desktop is part of the miner (3).
3. GPU miners are "per pool" so I'd like to wait for this to be part of yam. At some point this will be integrated. The problem with onstart compilation of drivers to prevent GNU violation can be solved, it's just not worth the hassle at this point.
4. Removing USB is not possible by default. I can add "toram" boot option as default that will copy entire live media to memory. Means less free memory (200MB) but very fast system. This option can be also entered manually, just press tab at the boot screen and add toram as last option, hit enter..

Offline FreeTrade

• View Profile
Thanks! 500MMC tip on its way to you.

I think its fully functional and useful enough now to recommend to our users.

Thinking of some future potential improvements -

1. Advising user if MMC address not configured and refusing to start mining.
2. Prompting for Wifi network selection / password (I guess difficult to auto configure wifi hardware)
3. GPU mining (I guess difficult to auto configure gpu drivers)
4. Not sure if it's safe to remove the USB after starting mining - seems to work ok on one machine, not on another. Would be useful for booting up a room full of PCs from a single USB drive. Maybe copying OS to RAM disk or similar.
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline h0g0f0g0

• View Profile
Ok, here's a fixed release. AES-NI detection should work properly and av=0 is used by default:

http://memorycoin.org/downloads/livecd/releases/yam-live-1.5-M7k.zip

Offline FreeTrade

• View Profile
AV=1 is taken from config file, just change it to 0 for auto-tuning. I will make it default in next release.

Thanks - the ideal would be to have it start with AV=0, then write the results to the config so that next time it starts with the best config.

For AES-NI part, I don't get it. Script is looking for aes flags in /proc/cpuinfo. Can you check this file if it contains 'aes' flag?

Not sure how to do that. Looks like we need a more reliable way to find out about AES support - or maybe start with AES-NI switched on, and if that process fails, switch to AES-NI off.
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline h0g0f0g0

• View Profile
AV=1 is taken from config file, just change it to 0 for auto-tuning. I will make it default in next release.

For AES-NI part, I don't get it. Script is looking for aes flags in /proc/cpuinfo. Can you check this file if it contains 'aes' flag?

Offline FreeTrade

• View Profile
Okay - latest test

Uses correct chipset YAM (ivy-bridge)
Uses correct memory amount 7GB
Uses correct threads (0)

Fails to detect AES-NI (i get 0.2 HPM rather than 10HPM!)
Uses AV=1 . . . shouldn't it be AV=0 for fine tuning?

Offline h0g0f0g0

• View Profile
I've reuploaded fixed v1.4. It calculates memory size correctly on multiple configurations for me. Download again and check please.

Offline FreeTrade

• View Profile
Exiting because of faulty parameters for me - seems like memory size is being sent as 6912 . . . not divisible by 1024 and YAM rejects it.

What is the total amount of memory?

8 GB total on the machine.

Offline h0g0f0g0

• View Profile
Exiting because of faulty parameters for me - seems like memory size is being sent as 6912 . . . not divisible by 1024 and YAM rejects it.

What is the total amount of memory?

Offline FreeTrade

• View Profile

Offline h0g0f0g0

• View Profile
New version of YAM Live USB miner is uploaded here:

http://memorycoin.org/downloads/livecd/releases/yam-live-1.4-M7k.zip

It fixes the issue with auto detection of a memory size. Miner is now using the maximum possible CPU threads as well as the amount of memory.

Offline h0g0f0g0

• View Profile
Hmm strange on another box i can run 8 threads with 1gig of memory. So I'm going to tweak the auto mode to take care of the cpu threads at maxed memory size.

Sounds like a good plan - the new 'm' parameter is the max amount of memory to use, btw, not per thread.

Sure, but it was crashing on test VM yesterday. I will have a look at this again. Auto mode will max out the machine resources, threads and available memory.

Offline FreeTrade

• View Profile
Hmm strange on another box i can run 8 threads with 1gig of memory. So I'm going to tweak the auto mode to take care of the cpu threads at maxed memory size.

Sounds like a good plan - the new 'm' parameter is the max amount of memory to use, btw, not per thread.

Offline h0g0f0g0

• View Profile