Author Topic: Smart contracts on Bitshares  (Read 5618 times)

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
... but then how do we get it so a contract can be created by a customer i.e. a business using a normal webpage & then other parties i.e. residents able to join the contract  at a later date.

Any thoughts/ideas would be most helpful!!

thanks
Shane
Here is a category that might be helpful: Smart-Contract-Types.
On Bitshares (Graphene) you have certain TYPES of contracts / operations (an operation would only become a contract if a certain condition is attached; but an operation illustrates my point as good) that are available to be used by your customers. Example: In Bitshares there is the operation "create user issued asset" that can be combined with whitelisting so that only whitelisted people can trade this asset and of course your customers could make use of this operation. So in Bitshares your customers can be active within what is possible with the contract types available on Bitshares. Conclusion: IF Bitshares has the types of operations you need for your business then it's the better option because its faster, cheaper etc than Ethereum. If not then you have to use Ethereum (or make a graphene chain with all the contract types you need - either an own chain or propose the code changes to the Bitshares shareholders that are necessary to incorporate the contract types you need into Bitshares)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
yes I get all that. Graphene is super quick and scalable but you you point me to where/how we can study how to design our type of application on it?
I'm not a developer but want our Devs to look at this before as an option. We would have huge amounts of noise data to submit to the chain once we get scale so is a private chain like peer plays the way to go. The transaction cost on bitshares are cheap so I guess it could stick with the bitshares chain but then how do we get it so a contract can be created by a customer i.e. a business using a normal webpage & then other parties i.e. residents able to join the contract  at a later date.
The point of bitshares is that the 'constracts' are part of the protocol (hard coded) and can be used by anyone ..
New contracts can be added with shareholder approvals.

Depending on your use-case you may not even want to let your customers CREATE new contracts .. but simply allow them to USE existing contracts. A simple example would be the market pegged assets with the (smart) contract for difference. The contract code is there .. and people can use the contract to borrow bitassets from the network using collateral. It's like a template that also allows you to create new assets that follow the same basic mechanics ..

Offline cryptokiwi-nz

Hi Stan,

yes I get all that. Graphene is super quick and scalable but you you point me to where/how we can study how to design our type of application on it?
I'm not a developer but want our Devs to look at this before as an option. We would have huge amounts of noise data to submit to the chain once we get scale so is a private chain like peer plays the way to go. The transaction cost on bitshares are cheap so I guess it could stick with the bitshares chain but then how do we get it so a contract can be created by a customer i.e. a business using a normal webpage & then other parties i.e. residents able to join the contract  at a later date.

Any thoughts/ideas would be most helpful!!

thanks
Shane 

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Thanks. I'm not meaning to be negative about Graphene. I actually have more $$ invested in bitshares than I do ethereum. Any thoughts on my question though....maybe the way to do it is create a seperate chain like Peerplays are doing then you get more flexibility with contracts?

Engineers need flexibility.
The average consumer does not.
So engineers prototype in Ethereum.
But when you are ready to reach out to the mass market - efficiency and stability is what counts.
And you can make an industrial grade solution on Graphene for a one time cost of conversion.

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline cryptokiwi-nz

Thanks. I'm not meaning to be negative about Graphene. I actually have more $$ invested in bitshares than I do ethereum. Any thoughts on my question though....maybe the way to do it is create a seperate chain like Peerplays are doing then you get more flexibility with contracts? 

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
I'm still struggling to understand is Graphene can achieve what we are aiming for. Here is a link to our whitepaper http://www.decibel.live/#!whitepaper/hkc9x

One of the key things is new contracts would be created by businesses all the time and they need the ability for people (residents) to join those contracts at different times. Ethereum seems a better fit but I don't want to rule our Graphene as potentially Peerplays has this same issue in that a contract is created for the game and it is then joined by one or more other parties.
Actually .. I would highly recommend you deploy your code on Ethereum, improve it .. bootstrap your business and when you reach capacity limits of ethereum, and have your protocol frozen, then you can move all your business over to the graphene technology to leverage scalability and speed ..
For me, Ethereum is a wonderful prototyping platform ... and graphene is for production ..

Offline cryptokiwi-nz

I'm still struggling to understand is Graphene can achieve what we are aiming for. Here is a link to our whitepaper http://www.decibel.live/#!whitepaper/hkc9x

One of the key things is new contracts would be created by businesses all the time and they need the ability for people (residents) to join those contracts at different times. Ethereum seems a better fit but I don't want to rule our Graphene as potentially Peerplays has this same issue in that a contract is created for the game and it is then joined by one or more other parties.

Offline tehdos

Can anyone point me in the right direction for some resources on smart contract functionality on the Graphene chain. Are there any working examples or articles on how to go about it? Cheers 
Smart contracts are contracts that get executed on the chain.
On BitShares you can only INSTALL those contracts by upgrading (read hardforking) the network (In contrast to ethereum where you can just put anycode on the blockchain)
However, in contrast to Bitcoin, hardforking BitShares isn't much of a hazzle because you can simply bring it to the shareholders attention and have them approve your code (another difference to ethereum)
Once the shareholders went through rigorous testing of your code, they give approval and the network can easily migrate over withing seconds.

Seems cumbersome.
A damn good system is in place in which you can expand your network through some of a diplomatic process and that sounds cumbersome?

Not sure if I agree with that.

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Can anyone point me in the right direction for some resources on smart contract functionality on the Graphene chain. Are there any working examples or articles on how to go about it? Cheers 
On BitShares you can only INSTALL those contracts by upgrading (read hardforking) the network (In contrast to ethereum where you can just put anycode on the blockchain)
However, in contrast to Bitcoin, hardforking BitShares isn't much of a hazzle because you can simply bring it to the shareholders attention and have them approve your code (another difference to ethereum)
Once the shareholders went through rigorous testing of your code, they give approval and the network can easily migrate over withing seconds.

Seems cumbersome.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline cryptokiwi-nz