Author Topic: [Evaluation] Need for a better python library?  (Read 9288 times)

Offline lil_jay890

• View Profile
Do not always ask money from BTS holders, but ask what you can do for BTS holders.

Haha... CNX was much more and still is "ask money from AGS/PTS/BTS/Brownies/BTS 2.0/Steem holders, don't ask what you can do for AGS/PTS/BTS?Brownies/BTS2.0/Steem holders"

They really set a great precedent...

Offline radiumlau

• View Profile
Do not always ask money from BTS holders, but ask what you can do for BTS holders.

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
whoever is in need of this library should hire developers and code the library according to the specifications of their needs.

BitShares has gone this far without this better python library .

And your proposal is vague as to what this library does and how it will be technically helpful to those who actually need to implement BitShares in their system compare to existing library or code themselves.

All in all, judging by your working plan, I think it's more of a hobby work instead of serious development that matches industrial wage standard .

Just FYI, businesses that actually need to use BitShares will more likely to write their own library for obvious security concerns, including but not limited to "it's a hobby work that made from 10 hours a week " , so most of them will still repeat the work themselves.

I think the non-technical stakeholders need to be aware of this perspective - not every public code is useful for many reasons, especially APIs and libraries , which are mostly business and environment specific with special concerns in mind, and " a hobby work that made from 10 hours a week " could not have covered them. What happens if business do not want to use python but node.js ?  Another proposal to satisfy the imaginary businesses that would somehow bring value to BitShares but can not even pay for 1 developer who works 10 hours a week themselves ?

« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 03:14:24 am by btswildpig »
这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline bitcrab

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcrab
  • GitHub: bitcrab
the idea sounds nice, would like to see it can move forward.

regarding the worker pay advice, in the case that there is no enough bitUSD can be bought from market and finally the worker account borrow bitUSD and pay to worker, how will the worker account be finally settled? waiting someone to force settle?
Email:bitcrab@qq.com

Offline yvv

• View Profile
This is worth to vote for just to test a bitUSD payment scheme.

So, how is the worker account going to settle its debt (if any)? Will it wait until bitUSD price get back to 5% from feed?

Offline DestBest

I like the idea to pay Workers in bitUSD  +5%
BitShares French ConneXion, le portail francophone BitShares.
BitShares French ConneXion, the BitShares french gateway.
www.bitsharesfcx.com

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Dear shareholders,

in this post, I would like to get an impression on how much you think a new bitshares-specific python library is needed.
As some background, I have been working on a library for Steem that includes a wallet and many of the Steem-specific features so that
writing your own python programs becomes a matter of just adding this library which exposes the whole power of the Steem blockchain.

In the progress of writing python-steem, I learned many lessons that I could apply to a new python-bitshares library (which currently doesn't exist yet).

So, I would like to hear your opinion about this proposal:

Deliverables
  • refactoring of python-graphene for simplicity
  • bitShares-pecific python library
  • including a wallet to store private keys locally (encrypted)
  • an interface to the DEX that allows to buy, sell, borrow
  • an interface to monitor the blockchain
  • methods to monitor your account
  • a command line interface similar to piston

Additionally, I would like to run a public API endpoint so that the library can speak to the network without the need to specify an API node.

Timeframe
Assuming I put 10h/week, I will probably need some 4-5 months to complete the deliverables above. This is in line with the experiences made on the python-steem library (that actually took more time)

Outlook
Once this library is complete, a Userinterface written in QT or GTK similar to electrum can probably be written very quickly as it's now only a frontend and nothing else. (Not part of the proposal)

Costs
  • $100/mth public API
  • $100/h=$4000/mth python development
  • $100 account LTM fee
  • $150 worker creation fee

After the end of the worker, the public API endpoint needs to be funded by another worker, or a witness node. Either way, the worker only covers the API endpoint for the duration of the worker.

Worker
Given that a worker will be voted in for quite some time, I would like to propose a new model of running a worker:
  • I will create a new account, upgrade it to LTM and make it multisig with the committee account and trusted members of the comunity
  • The worker will redeem it's funds on a regular basis and buy up bitUSD from the market (only up to +5% above market)
  • If the market doesn't offer sufficient bitUSD, the worker account will borrow bitUSD at 2.5x collateral
  • For this reasons, the actual pay of the worker is 2.5x the USD value
  • The worker will only pay the agreed amount of money and only in bitUSD to me
  • Every thing that is not paid out after the end of the worker will be settled and returned to the reserve fund

« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 10:14:33 am by xeroc »