Author Topic: Coyote Miner | PPS Mining Pool  (Read 403483 times)

Offline atta2k15

• View Profile
Re: Coyote Miner | PPS Mining Pool
« Reply #1376 on: November 14, 2013, 08:41:56 pm »
I just want everyone to know that 1 out of 3 blocks I find is orphaned.   As a result even with a 30% fee I might not break even.   At this point the pool is a public service.

I suspect that if you look at the PTS per hash that you get from other pools you will see the same thing.  They only pay you for the blocks found.   I am doing the same thing.

I will continue to monitor the situation carefully.

Our friends at Ypool are grabbing all the blocks because they are filled with botnets. I know you say that PTS were designed to be bot proof, but that does not appear to be the case. Ypool is down now. Otherwise I would post some examples of the hashrates certain users are getting.   Some of these are confirmed bots.

The owner of pools that allow botnets are only doing it out of greed.  These botnets steal the vast majority of the PTS from each block and then those of us who are mining legitimately are left with leftovers.

How do you tell the difference between a botnet and 1000 EC2 instances?

If what you say is true, I would guess that ypool and its users are responsible for the DDOS attack against my pool the other day. 

It is a shame that pre-mining is considered so bad.   In the future, it may be better to design a GPU-friendly algorithm.  That should at least slow-down the bot nets.   

or the pool should ask the user how many ip's are being used for submitting shares.
If >100 then a solid explanation should be made. Otherwise if not confirmed, everything above the first 10 ip's should be discarded...
Same trick can be done in some formula for submitted shares / minute.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 08:44:38 pm by atta2k15 »

Offline glongsword

• View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: November 14, 2013, 05:20:18 pm »
when try to wget the coyote miner from

Code: [Select]
wget  https://the-iland.net/static/downloads/linux_coyote_miner.0.1.0.tar.gz
i get this message

Connecting to the-iland.net (the-iland.net)|64.90.183.137|:443... connected.
ERROR: cannot verify the-iland.net's certificate, issued by ‘/C=US/ST=Virginia/O=The iLand Nation/CN=the-iland.net/emailAddress=admin@the-iland.net’:
  Self-signed certificate encountered.
To connect to the-iland.net insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate'.

anybody wiht same issue before!?

Try this instead: wget  http://the-iland.net/static/downloads/linux_coyote_miner.0.1.0.tar.gz

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #1374 on: November 14, 2013, 05:16:02 pm »
I have not paid for a certificate.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: November 14, 2013, 05:15:18 pm »
when try to wget the coyote miner from

wget  https://the-iland.net/static/downloads/linux_coyote_miner.0.1.0.tar.gz
i get this message

Connecting to the-iland.net (the-iland.net)|64.90.183.137|:443... connected.
ERROR: cannot verify the-iland.net's certificate, issued by ‘/C=US/ST=Virginia/O=The iLand Nation/CN=the-iland.net/emailAddress=admin@the-iland.net’:
  Self-signed certificate encountered.
To connect to the-iland.net insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate'.

anybody wiht same issue before!?
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline glongsword

• View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: November 14, 2013, 04:28:24 pm »
Is it possible to mine multiple pc with one wallet adress on this miner?

Yes, just specify the same address from that wallet on the different computers when calling coyote_miner

Offline Vizierx

• View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: November 14, 2013, 04:27:11 pm »
Is it possible to mine multiple pc with one wallet adress on this miner?

Offline Botley

• View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: November 14, 2013, 04:17:22 pm »
Keep in mind, botnets are not free either.  The "owners" of these botnets face opportunity cost like everyone else.   

There are costs associated with everything. These costs, though, are more than made up for through the other activities of the botnets. DDOS, keylogging/identity theft, ransomware, spammers, etc. Mining is a small portion of it, but one that is adversely affecting this market.

They mine and dump and so the botnets may profit, they do so at the expense of Invictus which would be ridiculed for pre-mining if we had simply sold into the market.   

Then maybe you should get in touch with the pool operators, share your vision, and get them on board.

As it stands now, botnets are hurting you but helping pool operators that allow them.

Offline Botley

• View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: November 14, 2013, 04:13:46 pm »
If I am reading that right,  468 Shares earns .062161 PTS  the PPS for ypool is .00013

Havn't quite figured out their reward method.

Regardless, its free mining for them. So they dont care.  They are starting these miners with a single thread and create limited cpu usage per computer. When you add all the computers in the botnet up, though, they become significant.

Pool operators benefit from the fees from rapid block creation.  The rest of us suffer as we are left with the scraps.

This is the nature of the game unless pool operators get on board and remove obvious bots.

I don't see this happening.

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #1368 on: November 14, 2013, 04:11:43 pm »
Keep in mind, botnets are not free either.  The "owners" of these botnets face opportunity cost like everyone else.   They mine and dump and so the botnets may profit, they do so at the expense of Invictus which would be ridiculed for pre-mining if we had simply sold into the market.   

I can tell you that buying a couple hundred EC2 instances cost $400 / day, but earned $1000 / day in PTS.   Mining is still the cheapest way to get ahold of PTS, but those margins are shrinking fast.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #1367 on: November 14, 2013, 04:07:37 pm »
If I am reading that right,  468 Shares earns .062161 PTS  the PPS for ypool is .00013

Offline hasher

• View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: November 14, 2013, 04:03:15 pm »
0 blocks on 5 instances for 1 hour, seems like its botnet territory for now ::)

Offline Botley

• View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: November 14, 2013, 03:47:46 pm »

If what you say is true, I would guess that ypool and its users are responsible for the DDOS attack against my pool the other day. 

It is a shame that pre-mining is considered so bad.   In the future, it may be better to design a GPU-friendly algorithm.  That should at least slow-down the bot nets.   

You can tell easily when you have access to the virus samples.  These virus samples contain the username that they are mining under at Ypool. From there its easy to see.

Here is an example:

From ypool's stats, this person is making  per block around:

miyayi 468.000000 0.061261
There are other's making much much much more.

Offline goldbishop

• View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: November 14, 2013, 03:46:19 pm »

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #1363 on: November 14, 2013, 03:24:23 pm »

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #1362 on: November 14, 2013, 03:24:06 pm »
I just want everyone to know that 1 out of 3 blocks I find is orphaned.   As a result even with a 30% fee I might not break even.   At this point the pool is a public service.

I suspect that if you look at the PTS per hash that you get from other pools you will see the same thing.  They only pay you for the blocks found.   I am doing the same thing.

I will continue to monitor the situation carefully.

Our friends at Ypool are grabbing all the blocks because they are filled with botnets. I know you say that PTS were designed to be bot proof, but that does not appear to be the case. Ypool is down now. Otherwise I would post some examples of the hashrates certain users are getting.   Some of these are confirmed bots.

The owner of pools that allow botnets are only doing it out of greed.  These botnets steal the vast majority of the PTS from each block and then those of us who are mining legitimately are left with leftovers.