Author Topic: Update on Chronos Videos  (Read 6677 times)

Offline Chronos

How about a video about the worker system.
Explain how you make real money out of it and how others could do the same.
It is a great system and there could be so much more active workers doing great things for BitShares.

Oh , after this video, no one will take money out to buy BTS anymore as they know they can make videos/websites/photos/blog-posts for it .

In fact , I'm thinking about it : Why would I take out my hard earned money to buy 1000USD worth of BTS per month and take financial risks when I could just produce something with the knowledge that I already processed ? I'm sure every potential buyer of BTS has some knowledge or skill to offer to the Blockchain.
Although you're being sarcastic, now that I think about it, this might actually be a good thing. Imagine if a couple dozen newcomers joined us on the forums with their wacky and wild ideas for worker proposals. Not even considering the profit to shareholders (new workers currently burn 7338 BTS each), that would bring new attention and excitement to the community. Hey, who knows, maybe we would even want to hire one!

Although we have a great start toward covering the basics with the videos, here are two that I think are still top priority:
  • Trading on Margin with Bitshares (a web wallet demo that covers collateral ratios, margin calls, forced settlement, etc.)
  • Bitshares SmartCoins (easy-to-understand explanation of how pegs are maintained through shorting and price feeds)

It would also be nice to have a "Get Hired by the Blockchain" (info on how workers function) video, but it's not as critical.

Any others that you guys think are really top priority? @bitcrab your vote could bring the worker active again. What do you think of a short-term restoration to get the more important videos completed, and round out the set of tutorials for new users?

Offline btswolf

Quote from: vato
    It is a great system and there could be so much more active workers doing great things for BitShares.

Oh , after this video, no one will take money out to buy BTS anymore as they know they can make videos/websites/photos/blog-posts for it .

In fact , I'm thinking about it : Why would I take out my hard earned money to buy 1000USD worth of BTS per month and take financial risks when I could just produce something with the knowledge that I already processed ? I'm sure every potential buyer of BTS has some knowledge or skill to offer to the Blockchain.
    Since you are not interested in a serious conversation I like to express my feelings this way:
    [/list]

Offline mea123

• View Profile
    • BitShares: mea123
    But let's have a real conversation about the cost vs. the value.

Ok, let's look at number of views for each video. What cost per viewer is adequate?

If you're going to judge by cost per view, you have to do it over time, not right at the beginning.  But more than anything, it's just plain common sense to understand that it's helpful to have tutorials, especially video tutorials.  Of course, the videos should be nicely done, with the subject matter articulated in an easy to understand manner, which I think Chronos has done.   

In any event, I think the new bitshares.org site should have a page that lists these tutorial videos (similar to Tableau, linked below).  When people see such resources, they are much more likely to dive in...and more likely to stick with it.  How do you measure that?

http://www.tableau.com/learn/training

I agree very much with bold text, I for myself struggled with content explanation, just to find it with my own research, dont get this stuff, to be honest, OL should promote with obvious explanation as much as possible, , somebody like me, do not have the knowledge as do insider, that is a commune problem, insider tend to think everybody is like them...WRONG..like Trump use to say :) still not insider might come along, if the entire platform would be explained to them just my opinion

Offline btswildpig

• View Profile
      Cross-posting some comments from the Steemit post. Fractalnode wrote:

Quote from: fractalnode
    I feel like we need more info (video) about :

• Short Selling BitAssets
      • maintenance collateral ratio
      • maximum short squeeze ratio
      • short squeeze protection
      • call price
      • MARGIN CALL MECHANICS (this is the most important!)
    • Create Asset
      • all PERMISSIONS & FLAGS
      • differences between SMARTCOINS, USER ISSUED ASSETS, PREDICTION MARKET ASSETS
    • Vesting balances
    • PREDICTION MARKET (the proper way... Amanda's video it's not good enough)

Another commenter, Vato, wrote:

[/list]

« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 02:23:04 am by btswildpig »
    这个是私人账号,表达的一切言论均不代表任何团队和任何人。This is my personal account , anything I said with this account will be my opinion alone and has nothing to do with any group.

Offline Chronos

P.S.  I would really like to see the DPoS error (distributed vs. delegated) fixed, at least in the on-screen graphic.  I'm sure that can be done with some editing alone (i.e. no need to re-record).
    Unfortunately, we can't upload a new video without losing the 1000+ views, along with the 50 likes and 11 comments, on that video. However, I was able to find a way to use YouTube Annotations to update the text. It's not perfect, but it's pretty clean considering the constraints. Check it out! https://youtu.be/eSgsbBTxNfo?t=22s

Ah, ok, I wasn't thinking  about that.  Anyway,  you can barely notice the annotation even if you're looking for it.  I think it might also make sense to pop up an annotation for a few seconds correcting what you verbalized so people who notice the inconsistency will know which is correct.  What do you think?
    Great idea. I'll get that extra annotation added later today when I get the chance. Thanks!
    The extra blurb with the correction is now added. I think this is a big improvement. Good ideas, @tbone! https://youtu.be/eSgsbBTxNfo.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
      • View Profile
      • Follow Me!
    • BitShares: fav
    I do think the cost of the videos is a bit steep.  But let's have a real conversation about the cost vs. the value. 

that's why I said raw numbers. but how would you measure cost vs value? In numbers, not guesswork or feelings?

Video views? Channel growth? Let's see

Source: http://socialblade.com/youtube/channel/UCwFnHtczGkpm4k1cQU5vj1w/videos

Total BitShares Video Views: 1600000/2758 = 580 BTS ~ $2.40 per view

Also, channel growth is impossible to measure from outside, since it's not an exclusive bitshares account. One could argue that we even help finance and market other coins/projects on that channel and help it grow.

I still think the referral program will kick in and get marketers working on stuff if BitShares finds some success. It does not work the other way in my opinion
    « Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 06:19:59 am by fav »

Offline Chronos

P.S.  I would really like to see the DPoS error (distributed vs. delegated) fixed, at least in the on-screen graphic.  I'm sure that can be done with some editing alone (i.e. no need to re-record).
    Unfortunately, we can't upload a new video without losing the 1000+ views, along with the 50 likes and 11 comments, on that video. However, I was able to find a way to use YouTube Annotations to update the text. It's not perfect, but it's pretty clean considering the constraints. Check it out! https://youtu.be/eSgsbBTxNfo?t=22s

Ah, ok, I wasn't thinking  about that.  Anyway,  you can barely notice the annotation even if you're looking for it.  I think it might also make sense to pop up an annotation for a few seconds correcting what you verbalized so people who notice the inconsistency will know which is correct.  What do you think?
    Great idea. I'll get that extra annotation added later today when I get the chance. Thanks!

Offline Chronos

Cross-posting some comments from the Steemit post. Fractalnode wrote:

Quote from: fractalnode
    I feel like we need more info (video) about :

• Short Selling BitAssets
      • maintenance collateral ratio
      • maximum short squeeze ratio
      • short squeeze protection
      • call price
      • MARGIN CALL MECHANICS (this is the most important!)
    • Create Asset
      • all PERMISSIONS & FLAGS
      • differences between SMARTCOINS, USER ISSUED ASSETS, PREDICTION MARKET ASSETS
    • Vesting balances
    • PREDICTION MARKET (the proper way... Amanda's video it's not good enough)

Another commenter, Vato, wrote:

[/list]

Offline yvv

• View Profile

If you're going to judge by cost per view, you have to do it over time, not right at the beginning. 

Yes, sure. Every video on youtube has growth of popularity phase which levels out after some time. Chronos videos is not exception.

But more than anything, it's just plain common sense to understand that it's helpful to have tutorials, especially video tutorials. 

Of course it is nice to have video tutorials. The question is how much is it ok to pay for these tutorials? If you pay thousands of $$ for videos which are viewed few hundred times, it does not look like a very efficient way to educate the public. I am not against video tutorials, what I am saying is that their effect could be and should be evaluated qualitatively and some conclusions about their efficiency can be made based on this.  IMO, a straightforward way to evaluate effect of video tutorials is to look at number of views per $$ spent. If this number is low and does not grow with time, there is no point to invest into this project until it is optimized.

Offline tbone

• View Profile
    • BitShares: tbone2

Ah, ok, I wasn't thinking about that.  Anyway,  you can barely notice the annotation even if you're looking for it.  I think it might also make sense to pop up an annotation for a few seconds correcting what you verbalized so people who notice the inconsistency will know which is correct.  What do you think?
    « Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 07:36:43 pm by tbone »

Offline kani

• View Profile
    As a relative noob to Bitshares, I must say the videos produce by Chronos so far have been EXCELLENT!  But the basics have been covered, and now should be placed in a prominent place for a good intro to Bitshares.

That said, I think it would be worthwhile for voters to know what content future videos will contain.

Two that I'd like to see:
    * Short selling MPA tutorial
    * Automated trading with btsbots
    My opinions are my own

Turn up the H.E.A.T.

Offline tbone

• View Profile

Ok, let's look at number of views for each video. What cost per viewer is adequate?

If you're going to judge by cost per view, you have to do it over time, not right at the beginning.  But more than anything, it's just plain common sense to understand that it's helpful to have tutorials, especially video tutorials.  Of course, the videos should be nicely done, with the subject matter articulated in an easy to understand manner, which I think Chronos has done.   

In any event, I think the new bitshares.org site should have a page that lists these tutorial videos (similar to Tableau, linked below).  When people see such resources, they are much more likely to dive in...and more likely to stick with it.  How do you measure that?

http://www.tableau.com/learn/training

Offline Chronos

Offline yvv

• View Profile

Offline tbone

• View Profile
    I do think the cost of the videos is a bit steep.  But let's have a real conversation about the cost vs. the value.  To look at the number of referrals is utterly absurd and unhelpful.  It's obvious that people finding Bitshares on their own would find these videos useful.  In fact, it is imperative to have tutorials if we want to encourage people to take the platform seriously.  That's what I thought the whole point was.  Having said that, maybe Chronos can offer a little more for a little less.