Author Topic: [hangout feedback] Worker proposal idea  (Read 1877 times)

Offline JonnyB

• View Profile
    • twitter.com/jonnybitcoin
I tend to agree with @Chronos on this one

I don't see the need or purpose to centralise power to the comittee or similar.

The current systems of worker proposals is working fine.
You may disagree with how funds are being spent or not spent but that's the shareholders or their proxies decision.

I run the @bitshares twitter handle
twitter.com/bitshares

Offline Chris4210

• Keep Building!
    • View Profile
    • www.payger.com
  • BitShares: chris4210
We are at the frontier here with our worker DAO. Because how do you manage the funds correctly? Nobody knows it yet, and even an Ethereum DAO has the same problems as we have. The big challenge for us is to pick good workers from bad workers and to find consensus to pay only for good projects.

We got some good worker experiences and some bad ones with BitShares and the test phase is still on. I think a worker "escrow" or worker project leading team could add further security to fund abuse. It also could invite new people to propose worker proposals and not only the old known developers. Anyways, these are still theories since we donĀ“t have 10 workers per day yet.

BitShares Munich is preparing a new exciting worker concept and I am looking forward to discussing it with all of you on this Friday BitShares Hangout. So please join us at 2pm UTC on the BeyondBitcoin mumble server.
Vote Chris4210 for Committee Member http://bit.ly/1WKC03B! | www.Payger.com - Payments + Messenger | www.BitShareshub.io - Community based fanpage for the BitShares Blockchain

Offline Chronos

From a high-level view, this is simply a transfer of power from a decentralized group (all BTS holders) to a more centralized group, which I'm not sure would be popular in practice. People don't usually vote to give away their own power.

Are you sure that BTS proxies would be in favor of a smaller, more centralized team of managers, subjecting funds to a risk of fraud/misuse/theft?  What benefit would they receive for this?

Offline Chris4210

• Keep Building!
    • View Profile
    • www.payger.com
  • BitShares: chris4210
Thank you Estefan to pick that idea up.

I like the idea to pool the worker funds in a multi sig account , optional committee controlled or by others) and give the owner of the account three options.

a) Total Payout
b) Part Payout
c) Refund to Reservepool

In this way we have a project management team that approves or disapproves a worker and has the option to refund the money if the job was not well done.

We saw with Vikrams worker, that we can easily vote somebody in, and vote somebody out once he does not deliver correctly. To further avoid fraud, such a worker "escrow" team could manage the payment better.

I will add the idea to the wishlist, that will be published this week.

Vote Chris4210 for Committee Member http://bit.ly/1WKC03B! | www.Payger.com - Payments + Messenger | www.BitShareshub.io - Community based fanpage for the BitShares Blockchain

Offline mike623317

• View Profile

I think thats a good idea Estefan.

I aso think that Chris's point about people chipping in a couple of hours here and there to build new development has legs. Yes, people should be paid, but id a developer/group of developers want to chip in to build something because they believe in the project i think we should encourage it. I dont see anything wrong with that.

Offline EstefanTT

@Chris4210 mentioned in the hangout that I had a good idea for the workers but didn't explain it. I couldn't recall what was that idea myself. After some painfull brain digging, I think I recall now.

I thought at the time that the idea wasn't good because nobody noticed it in telegram but if Chris still remembers, it's probably worth the time to write it down in the forum.

My idea was to create a worker that takes the funds from the reserve pool and send them in a multi-sig, committee, trusted members, whatever high trust account. Let's call this account the "X-account".

The money would accumulate slowly on this X-account.

Once we have this worker rolling, we create a list of all the beautiful things we want for BitShares, small and big things, all we can dream of.

With a voting mechanism (maybe steem ?) we determine how much money the whole community (Chinese also) would agree to pay for each feature (delicate work).
Once we have the maximum budget for each feature, we can publish this list everywhere where there are developers.

After that, every time we have one dev interested to implement a feature of the list with the defined budget, we would already have the money sitting on the X-account. When the work of the dev has been done and verified, we can release the funds.

This system would be some kind of momentary system to get things moving. A big problem now is that is very risky to create a worker. With BTS at 0.05$, any workers going to add a little something to BTS will be voted in and kept until completion.

I'm not sure how we could pull this out or even if it's a good idea but here you can brainstorm if you like it ^^
Bit20, the cryptocurrency index fund http://www.bittwenty.com
(BitShares French ConneXion - www.bitsharesfcx.com)