Author Topic: Liquidity, Liquidity, Liquidity  (Read 18274 times)

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Just an idea for everyone here without any special talents like software development:

• Borrow USD
  • Borrow something else or deposit some other awesome crypto you don't mind holding
  • Check the USD price from coinmarketcap.com
  • Set up buy and sell orders at 2-4% spread, 10 orders on each side at 1% increments
  • Check out your market every 12 hours

Why?
  • You will make a profit once someone else takes your orders
  • You will make the DEX look good
  • Your actions act like a seed. A bootstrapped market invites more participants
  • You can hold your BTS while trading other coins against USD, which itself benefits Bitshares
  • You don't take any risk by holding something you fear might crash
  • You can diversify within the DEX
  • You will need other exchanges less
  • People want to trade on the DEX, and together we can provide to them.
  • You don't take the risk of leveraged trading, unless you trade in BTS markets

I've done this to the USD:MAID, USD:STEEM, USD:BLOCKPAY, USD:BTWTY, USD:EUR, USD:GOLD, USD:SILVER markets, and next I'm getting some Synereo AMP and Tauchain AGORAS to bootstrap USD:AGRS and USD:AMP markets. Once LBRY and Solarcoin are added, I will do the same to them. I'm doing all this with some €4k, which is all I have.

I'm a little amazed about the fact that I'm bootstrapping or helping bootstrap several markets, while I hold only 1/1,000,000 of all BTS (or something to that degree). What are all other holders doing? How much liquidity and how amazing markets could we provide with all that BTS? Is everyone so afraid, so the keep BTS at Poloniex just in case? Come on everyone! I don't want to brag, but point out that we have everything we need. We can do it by - doing it :-)

EDIT: If you check out the markets, you might notice that I fail to keep all the markets nice. I keep running out of liquidity myself, but then I try to readjust my holdings in order to be able to continue. Then there's the STEEM:USD market, where my orders are tiny compared to one single $6k wall, which makes it look ugly, but so what. The market is working!

+5%

Best practical idea i've seen in a looong time.  +1 +1 +1
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Permie

• BitShares is the mycelium of the financial-earth
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: krimduss
Just an idea for everyone here without any special talents like software development:

• Borrow USD
  • Borrow something else or deposit some other awesome crypto you don't mind holding
  • Set up buy and sell orders at 2-4% spread, 10 orders on each side at 1% increments

Why?
  • You can hold your BTS while trading other coins against USD, which itself benefits Bitshares

I've done this to the USD:MAID, USD:STEEM, USD:BLOCKPAY, USD:BTWTY, USD:EUR, USD:GOLD, USD:SILVER markets, and next I'm getting some Synereo AMP and Tauchain AGORAS to bootstrap USD:AGRS and USD:AMP markets. Once LBRY and Solarcoin are added, I will do the same to them. I'm doing all this with some €4k, which is all I have.

I'm a little amazed about the fact that I'm bootstrapping or helping bootstrap several markets, while I hold only 1/1,000,000 of all BTS (or something to that degree). What are all other holders doing? How much liquidity and how amazing markets could we provide with all that BTS? Is everyone so afraid, so the keep BTS at Poloniex just in case? Come on everyone! I don't want to brag, but point out that we have everything we need. We can do it by - doing it :-)

EDIT: If you check out the markets, you might notice that I fail to keep all the markets nice. I keep running out of liquidity myself, but then I try to readjust my holdings in order to be able to continue. Then there's the STEEM:USD market, where my orders are tiny compared to one single $6k wall, which makes it look ugly, but so what. The market is working!

+5%
JonnyBitcoin votes for liquidity and simplicity. Make him your proxy?
BTSDEX.COM

Offline MarkoPaasila

Are you doing that manually, or using trading software?

Speaking of which, what are the current best options for automated DEX trading for liquidity and profit, preferably cli ?

I'm doing it manually, and quite amazingly it works. I guess I earn the spread because I react so slowly, and the spread grows allowing me to earn even more, before I check it and close the spread. If some coin really takes off, I will sell on the way up until I run out of liquidity. That's why I only trade with half of my holdings. I believe it's worth the sacrifice, because BTS is destined to become massive.

I don't know of  any others than liqbot/stakemachine/pybitshares and BTSBOTS. Funnily enough, I find that I make a better profit by doing it manually. I also enjoy making a new market look inviting, with incremented orders. I never succeeded in setting up the python things reliably, and I'm a little sceptical about a hosted bot.

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Are you doing that manually, or using trading software?

Speaking of which, what are the current best options for automated DEX trading for liquidity and profit, preferably cli ?

Offline MarkoPaasila

• Borrow USD

Why?

« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 08:10:18 am by MarkoPaasila »

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Ok, that's indeed a lot better than it used to be. +5%

Offline nmywn

• View Profile
BTS:USD $118k 24h vol just now
Overal USD vol: $193k

You can buy a lot. It's super easy to buy,

Offline yvv

• View Profile
Liquidity on bitCNY and bitUSD improved a lot during last year. Other assets will hopefully catch up.

Offline karnal

• View Profile
We seem to be in this liquidity stalemate for at least a year now. It still does not appear possible to buy a robust quantity of say USD, to say nothing of GOLD or SILVER, without outrageous premiums - if that.

To reiterate, what is the current consensus on why this is so ?

Offline mea123

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mea123
A liquid asset is cash on hand or an asset that can be readily converted to cash. An asset that can readily be converted into cash is similar to cash itself because the asset can be sold with little impact on its value.

very well stated, DEX is far from such

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX
hello sakhan,

I am happy to tell you peercoin is already on OpenLedger and I would be ahppy to see liquidity added to the markets?

welcome

regards

Ronny Boesing
CEO
OpenLedger

Is that under OPENPPC (PPC showed up there)? There is also something called PPCNY?

Offline mea123

• View Profile
anyone can persuade polo to open a BTS/USDT pair? that will help a lot.

I would, but dont even know what is POLO
more info please

Poloniex is a crytocoin exchange.

We should lobby them to add USDT/ BTS, anyone know how?

OK.. Thanks I now Poloniex, just did not know, it was to much to type the entire word..:) :) :)

Offline mea123

• View Profile
I was thinking that this issues are what a DEX should have to figure out

That precisely why a plumber, a taxi driver, a housewife, a baker, somebody trading stocks and or currencies at a regular broker
call it a "broker for dummies" will not trade at DEX
its so complicated to understand lets stand to follow what you ppl are talking about, one only can get a headache
but no results that eliminates the complicate stuff.

DEX will never real work like a market supposed to work if we dont have liquidity whatever you guys are talking about

REALLY?

Offline openledger

• Board Moderator
  • Blockchain powered, people driven
    • View Profile
    • OpenLedger.info - Blockchain Solutions, Services and Products for Businesses
  • BitShares: ccedkbts
hello sakhan,

I am happy to tell you peercoin is already on OpenLedger and I would be ahppy to see liquidity added to the markets?

welcome

regards

Ronny Boesing
CEO
OpenLedger
OpenLedger blockchain in services and solutions - https://openledger.info
BitShares explorer: https://bitsharescan.com
BitShares commitee member since 2015

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX
anyone can persuade polo to open a BTS/USDT pair? that will help a lot.

I would, but dont even know what is POLO
more info please

Poloniex is a crytocoin exchange.

We should lobby them to add USDT/ BTS, anyone know how?

Way back then, when Poloniex first started I asked one of the founders to add Peercoin to Polo, he was very receptive to the idea and told me it would be added shortly (and it was).  Now that they have grown so much it might not be as easy as an email but I will put it on my "to do" list. On the same list I have that I need to engage Openledger to add Peercoin to DEX. @ccedk