Author Topic: (Extremely) Long password input hangs UI for up to a few minutes  (Read 2100 times)

Offline karnal

• View Profile

Offline svk

Ok I've figured out why, it was because of the password strength checker I added recently, 4000 chars was a bit too much for it..  I've disabled it for when you enter an existing password as well as for passwords of length > 100 characters. Should go live within a few days, just wanna test some other changes a bit more first.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline karnal

• View Profile
8 cores with 32GB of RAM, should be plenty - and keep in mind, it was working fine (pretty much instantly) until I upgraded to the latest version.

No local node.

I'd like to help you narrow down which version this was introduced, but I skipped a few months worth of versions. Worst case scenario I could locate the .deb's and try each.

Before that, however, could you confirm that this issue is reproducible on your end?

Offline svk

I doubt it's related to the password itself, most likely it's from the lookup of keys from your brain key. I recently changed that part to look for more keys, making it more likely to recover keys from wallets that have in the past made failed attempts to create accounts (there was a bug there).

Are you running a local node? Is your computer old?
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline karnal

• View Profile
@xeroc @svk, so I tested by creating a new wallet with a random 5000 char password, entering the password initially at the wallet creation screen goes as expected, but the moment I try to unlock the wallet and paste the giant password, same symptoms as before.

This leads me to believe it is a recently introduced bug. Can you guys reproduce?

Offline karnal

• View Profile
This is the light client, @xeroc.

Perhaps relevant is the fact that the password is 4000+ characters - but it wasn't an issue until upgrading to the latest version.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
hmm .. make a backup .. then reimport the backup and try again ..
Don't know the cause .. but it's probably just a browser hickup ..

Offline karnal

• View Profile
Something dramatic appears to have changed in recent versions (my previous software version was from a few months ago), I use a randomly generated password for the wallet, and now when pasting it into the UI, when attempting to unlock the wallet, the program freezes for 1-2 minutes, while cpu% goes through the roof.

Eventually it will paste, and unlocking will work. But it was not like this in previous versions.

Any idea why, @svk @xeroc ?

This is the GNU/Linux (latest) version of the wallet, btw.