Author Topic: GPU Miner - Ubuntu Configuration (X server issues)  (Read 3061 times)

Offline MaxPWR

• Sink 2UR Source
    • View Profile
    • Max's Power Plant
Hey, seraphim and I, and everyone else are looking for a volunteer to collect links / manage / etc an "intro to mining" guide on mmcwiki - interested?
You can't stop the signal, Mal. Everything goes somewhere, and I go everywhere.

PWR UP: MAXVTEoYhDfWJjvkNm2ZmUhHpYbsPYuybg

Offline Delinquency

• View Profile
Fixed it. Using Lubuntu Desktop 64-bit.

Basically the X server's config was running on the normal user (non-root).

Guess I got it working by using: su xxusername (in this case, su mmc) -- ran the miner, and everything went well with those commands ^.^
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 02:44:59 am by Delinquency »

Offline MaxPWR

• Sink 2UR Source
    • View Profile
    • Max's Power Plant
I haven't tried SSH, but I've used this guide before - some version numbers are out of date:
http://www.cryptobadger.com/2013/04/build-a-litecoin-mining-rig-linux/

But, have you tried the export DISPLAY command before starting a miner?

export DISPLAY=:0
export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100
export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1

Offline Delinquency

• View Profile
I've tested Xubuntu, debian 7, and ubuntu desktop 13 and 12 with issues on SSH. All MMC GPU miners including CGminer have this issue.

X server not detected.. etc.

In the end, I shall try a >300MB Windows XP + RDP and compare stats. I prefer Windows for stability with GPU's and scrypt.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 11:37:49 pm by Delinquency »

Offline MaxPWR

• Sink 2UR Source
    • View Profile
    • Max's Power Plant
I had issues with Xubuntu and cgminer with scrypt - everything just hashed slower.  That's why I use Ubuntu w/ hard disks.  Still to try CentOS or BAMT...but back to your issue...

That's an ati driver issue, not a miner issue.  You shouldn't need to run aticonfig after initial set-up and installation.  Can you do the first set-up from the local desktop, then try just running the miner remotely from the shell?

I think "X server must be running" refers to the Gnome/KDE desktop kernel.  I've gotten that before when booting straight into command prompt on recovery and trying aticonfig, but never if I've loaded the desktop first then gone to terminal.

(Also, which miner are you trying to use with linux?)

Offline Delinquency

• View Profile
I'm running the radeon fglrx non-free drivers on Xubuntu to run my GPU Miner.

However, the command aticonfig tool only works on the desktop that runs on the server. I'm only able to run the GPU miner on the desktop hooked up to the server.

This command does not work on an SSH session, nor does the gpu miner find my GPU card.
Error for aticonfig : X Server must be running for AMD " " to run ...

Running it on the desktop is problematic because the GPU miner also somehow consumes a significant amount of CPU, reducing the CPU mining by about 45%.

How can I run the GPU miner remotely from a command line, or better yet, how would I just have it run on startup from crontab without an error?