Author Topic: Dose my Smartcoin can be taken from me by the blockchain  (Read 1982 times)

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
There some issue not clear to me regarding borrowing Smartcoin.
If I bought and hold some Smartcoin. Then the one how sell it to me have merging call or want to close the borrow position. Is it possible that the Smartcoin will be taken from me automatically by the blockchain (for the collateral)?

Not normally. If you hold a Smartcoin, you can settle it to retrieve an (almost) equivalent amount of BTS.
Borrowers cannot "settle" their position, they can only try to buy Smartcoins from the market if they want to close their position.

There is one exceptional situation where your Smartcoin could be taken from you in the future. If the value of the collateral drops below the nominal value of the borrowed coins, the coin is settled. In order to "reset" the SmartCoin, you might be forced out of your position. You will receive the available collateral in exchange, of course.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline vegolino

• Reality is Information
    • View Profile
Your smart coin will not be taken from you even if somebody who sold it you have some kind of emergency and they have to dump it.
Theoretically only way you to loose smart coin is if collateral backing your smart coin goes to zero which is very tiny  probability at the moment.

Offline mostar

• View Profile
Maybe I miss some thing but I not find an answer to my question in the "short selling BitUSD" slide.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav

Offline mostar

• View Profile
Hello,

There some issue not clear to me regarding borrowing Smartcoin.
If I bought and hold some Smartcoin. Then the one how sell it to me have merging call or want to close the borrow position. Is it possible that the Smartcoin will be taken from me automatically by the blockchain (for the collateral)?

Mostar