Author Topic: [Witness Proposal] Joining in as BitShares Witness as "sc-ol"  (Read 8249 times)

Offline renkcub

• View Profile

I’m all ears to support an MPA or SmartCoin that doesn’t require an active witness for price feeds, just contact me, and I would be happy to talk about it.

I'm present on the BitShares Witness Telegram channel, as well as here and Steemit.

Howdy!

Check out my thread on https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,25083.msg311587.html#msg311587

I'm pushing for creation of BitETH and BitZEC as new smartcoins. I'd like them to be eventually adopted by "official" witnesses, but not sure of the mechanism for that. What are your thoughts?

In the current pre-bsip-0018 state of the network, crypto based smartcoins (MPAs) are vulnerable to global settlement ('black swan') events, once the BTS network has hard-forked to include bsip-0018 at the end of november, such assets will be more plausible for the long term.

That said, there's more interesting MPAs out there especially in the Algorithm Based Asset category of MPAs, IMO.

Keep it real,
CM.

Good comment. I have heard about pending Black Swan improvements but don't know the details.

What more interesting MPAs are you speaking about (in the meantime, at least - as I think alt/smartcoins or a better alternative to UIAs and counterparty risk are totally crucial to Bitshares...)

Offline R

• View Profile

I’m all ears to support an MPA or SmartCoin that doesn’t require an active witness for price feeds, just contact me, and I would be happy to talk about it.

I'm present on the BitShares Witness Telegram channel, as well as here and Steemit.

Howdy!

Check out my thread on https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,25083.msg311587.html#msg311587

I'm pushing for creation of BitETH and BitZEC as new smartcoins. I'd like them to be eventually adopted by "official" witnesses, but not sure of the mechanism for that. What are your thoughts?

In the current pre-bsip-0018 state of the network, crypto based smartcoins (MPAs) are vulnerable to global settlement ('black swan') events, once the BTS network has hard-forked to include bsip-0018 at the end of november, such assets will be more plausible for the long term.

That said, there's more interesting MPAs out there especially in the Algorithm Based Asset category of MPAs, IMO.

Keep it real,
CM.

Offline renkcub

• View Profile

Howdy!

Offline startail

Thought it would be time to post some update on my projects and progress on BitShares.

My witness node is running, eager to witness some blocks 
With a backup node available, I'm well prepared. Both my witness nodes have been stable, running continuously since the setup of them in July. They are sharing resources with my Steem witnesses currently, and presently aren't in any need of extra resources. If this would show to be an issue, I'll put them on separate servers.

I'm participating in the Testnet, as I think an effective witness should do so. Joining on the testnet helps me test some things before going serious (which I hope to be soon) as well as learning about new things in the development as they are available. My testnet node has performed well, and I'm confident my system can handle the primary network.

My Access node, which has been included in the wallet since a few months now, are running stable without any issues. It's available trough bitshares.crypto.fans, which is also the address for seed-node access as well.

I'm looking forward to the new HF at the end of November, where we have a solution for the Black Swan events, among other things. I'm also keeping track of the updates on the BitShares Wallet, which I actively write about on Steemit to make more people aware of the wallet and what the network can do.

I'm also trying to make posts regarding issues, as well as tutorials on how to do things on the BitShares network. Next up will most likely be a tutorial on Margin trading that I've been writing on.

As of current, I haven't done much work on market price updates for assets, as I'm not an active witness. I’m all ears to support an MPA or SmartCoin that doesn’t require an active witness for price feeds, just contact me, and I would be happy to talk about it.

My Update on Steemit: https://steemit.com/bitshares/@sc-steemit/bitshares-witness-and-developer-update

Offline R

• View Profile
Next task, that I think I should look at, is to look at price feeds.

Are there any assets that needs extra witnesses running price feeds?
As a non-block producing witness so far it doesn't make any sense for me to start publishing price feeds for anything, if I've understood this correct.
I might start to publish some feeds, just for the sake of it, but I need to set up a good price-feed script for that.

Anyhow, if anyone thinks I should post any specific price feeds, just give me a shout out here or on the Whaleshares Discord or Team Gridcoin Slack channels as I'm always in either of them.
Perhaps HERO, ALTCAP.XDR and HERTZ (in the future)? There are MPAs which accept price feeds from non-wittness/committee users, however you may need to request permission to do so.

Offline startail

Next task, that I think I should look at, is to look at price feeds.

Are there any assets that needs extra witnesses running price feeds?
As a non-block producing witness so far it doesn't make any sense for me to start publishing price feeds for anything, if I've understood this correct.
I might start to publish some feeds, just for the sake of it, but I need to set up a good price-feed script for that.

Anyhow, if anyone thinks I should post any specific price feeds, just give me a shout out here or on the Whaleshares Discord or Team Gridcoin Slack channels as I'm always in either of them.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 08:53:21 am by startail »

Offline startail

Offline startail

As @sahkan posted before, there has been a need for FULL Nodes.
Today I've officially started up my full node.

Full Node Specs:
- 10-core Intel® Xeon® E5-2620v3 or E5-2630v4 processor
- 52GB RAM
- 1Gigabit unmetered traffic

It can be accessed trough
Code: [Select]
wss://bitshares.crypto.fans/ws
I've also started to work on a forked modification of @roelandp's Python monitoring script to keep track of the witness status.
I will add a few more functions with the support that the Python libraries for Bitshares, Steem and PeerPlays gives to make it a one-stop witness monitoring script.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 05:02:36 pm by startail »

Offline startail

Welcome!

2 nodes is good to start with, seems that we have a shortage of the FULL nodes because there is no incentive to run them. Would you consider running a FULL node with secure websocket access for the light wallets? (Mine runs at 30GB RAM and it has been growing quite fast so you need at least 64GB server). If YES, then you will have my vote!

Yes, it's a good start and the minimum I should be doing really :)
If Full nodes is something the community lacks I would surely be looking into making one available soon.

I'm also very interested in the BitShares Block Explorer project. It's a shame that this great community only has one, lately very unstable, block explorer. I'm sure the person running it is doing the very best to make sure it runs good, but there is a need for more flavors on the map. Look at the Steem community, they have a whole ton of different miner variations that aren't a full block explorer but rather niches on things. I hope we can look in to expanding this community with more various tools.

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX
Welcome!

2 nodes is good to start with, seems that we have a shortage of the FULL nodes because there is no incentive to run them. Would you consider running a FULL node with secure websocket access for the light wallets? (Mine runs at 30GB RAM and it has been growing quite fast so you need at least 64GB server). If YES, then you will have my vote!

Offline startail

I see you just joined the forum, welcome.

are you connected to the other witnesses? what's your telegram name?

I've actually been registered since August last year, but I haven't actually posted anything until now. The whole thing about BitShares eluded me in the beginning and I wasn't really sure how to use it, but in March (I think it was) I registered this account on the BitShares platform and started using it much more at learned a lot.

To keep in touch with other witnesses and or they with me I'm available:
- on Telegram as "startail" in both the "BitShares Dex" and "OpenLedgerDC" channels, and also in the "Gridcoin" channel.
- on Steemit as "sc-steemit" watching the BitShares tags
- on the BitShares mailing list for witnesses, announcements and critical.
- on the BitShares forum (here)
- on Whaleshares Discord channels
- on Slack, Team Gridcoin channels

I regularly keep an out on these places as well as the GitHub Repo for updates and changes in the releases.

How I think I can contribute
- I will write guides and tutorials on other platforms like Steemit
- I will be of general assistance for others as much as I can
- I will use the skills in programming that I have to utilize and propose additions to the existing tools

I'm here for you and will gladly try to answer any questions regarding my proposal for being a witness

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
I see you just joined the forum, welcome.

are you connected to the other witnesses? what's your telegram name?

Offline R

• View Profile
Great to see you take on the challenge of becoming a Bitshares witness, you've 100% got my vote! You've already displayed your ability to run a steem witness & have been running several gridcoin nodes for the gridcoin blockchain explorer you created (primary gridcoin explorer).