Author Topic: witness_node doesn't work well  (Read 3840 times)

Offline lcabcdefg

We are still quite ways away from the server limitations. But you are right, most desktops will not be able to run a full node.

if a full node process can run on different server machine,  one as a master process,  the others as slave processes, each sub process could communication with each other,  so the total RAM is equal to sum of these all different server which run a sub process. Is this a solution to resolve the single server's RAM limitations? could dev team implement this solution on bitshares?

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX
We are still quite ways away from the server limitations. But you are right, most desktops will not be able to run a full node.

Offline lcabcdefg

Full node runs now around 32GB RAM. A node with disabled history plugins should run around 2-3GB.

yesterday,  I download bitshares source from github, and build it, run full node with command:
./programs/witness/witness_node --data-dir=full_node --rpc-endpoint="0.0.0.0:11011"
and wait many hours, my 32g ram 4 core cpu machine stuck, and crash,  why bitshares's blockchain data so huge?  if I want to disable history plugin, what should I do? thanks
Comment out:
/programs/witness_node/main.cpp#L75-L76
75       auto history_plug = node->register_plugin<account_history::account_history_plugin>();
76       auto market_history_plug = node->register_plugin<market_history::market_history_plugin>();

@sahkan,
thank you very much. by the way, if history plugin enabled,  should bts community be worried about the huge RAM requirement?  the capacity of RAM a computer machine can provide is limited, at this rate, everyone could not run bitshares full node  one day, Am I right?
@sahkan , @xeroc
by the way, if history plugin enabled,  should bts community be worried about the huge RAM requirement?  the capacity of RAM a computer machine can provide is limited, at this rate, everyone could not run bitshares full node  one day, Am I right?

Offline lcabcdefg

Full node runs now around 32GB RAM. A node with disabled history plugins should run around 2-3GB.

yesterday,  I download bitshares source from github, and build it, run full node with command:
./programs/witness/witness_node --data-dir=full_node --rpc-endpoint="0.0.0.0:11011"
and wait many hours, my 32g ram 4 core cpu machine stuck, and crash,  why bitshares's blockchain data so huge?  if I want to disable history plugin, what should I do? thanks
Comment out:
75       auto history_plug = node->register_plugin<account_history::account_history_plugin>();
76       auto market_history_plug = node->register_plugin<market_history::market_history_plugin>();

@sahkan,
thank you very much. by the way, if history plugin enabled,  should bts community be worried about the huge RAM requirement?  the capacity of RAM a computer machine can provide is limited, at this rate, everyone could not run bitshares full node  one day, Am I right?

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX

Comment out:

Offline lcabcdefg

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX
Full node runs now around 36GB RAM. A node with disabled history plugins should run around 2-3GB.

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
1. how to run witness_node smoothly even after restarting it?

If the node didn't exit cleanly you should restart it with --replay-blockchain.

2. do I have to set enable-stale-production = true  and add some winness-id ?
I see some thread in forum saying  to add some witness-id = "1.7.*
but in my config file, I can only add some "1.6.*", and I'v no idea what they are.

No. Never use enable-stale-production. You don't need to set a witness id if you don't plan to run an actual witness.

3. I heard the witness_node requires 8 ~ 24GB memory, closing it with Ctrl-C need to wait more than 10 minutes unitll it finish write data to disk,
but I only have 4GB memory, not SWAP, not SSD. but I never saw it use all of the memory, usually around 1GB,
though there is a time it did crashed with std::bad_alloc, but system still have lots of free memory, no OOM-killer message in system logs.
also closing it with a single Ctrl-C doesn't need to wait at all .

are these saying that I'm using wrong witness_node ?

Although the witness_node with the partial-operations flag and a small list of tracked accounts uses less than 4 GB of RAM, a 4GB system with no swap space configured may be too small. Depends on what else is running.

4. is witness_node + cli_wallet enough to run a trading bot ? (with wintness_node default setting)

Depending on how your bot creates transactions, you may not need the cli_wallet.

5. is there any public witness_node I can connect to ? then I can stop making my witness_node work, is it safe to run bot with public node ?

Some people are running public API servers, but it would probably be a good idea to run your own. Again, this depends on your bot.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline silent

• View Profile
I compiled witness_node as the document, but it doesn't look like working well,

softwares : Debian9 x86, gcc 6,
boost.1.6..0(tried 1.5.7-1.5.9, none works, complain about some SSL functions),
bitshares-core is from github.

# witness_node -d /data/BTS_data --partial-operations true --track-account "\"1.2.22***\"" --rpc-endpoint

it needs many hours to sync data, but almost every time it will crash when the syncing data to a few days before current date,
after crashing or closed by Ctrl-C I start it again, but it won't sync data anymore, json rpc will return empty data(ie. empty bid and ask data).

2810445ms th_a       object_database.cpp:94        open                 ] Opening object database from /data/BTS_data/blockchain ...
2822900ms th_a       object_database.cpp:100       open                 ] Done opening object database.
2822923ms th_a       application.cpp:131           reset_p2p_node       ] Adding seed node 104.200.28.117:61705
2823265ms th_a       witness.cpp:122               plugin_startup       ] witness plugin:  plugin_startup() begin
2823266ms th_a       witness.cpp:137               plugin_startup       ] No witnesses configured! Please add witness IDs and private keys to configuration.
2823266ms th_a       witness.cpp:138               plugin_startup       ] witness plugin:  plugin_startup() end
2823266ms th_a       main.cpp:179                  main                 ] Started witness node on a chain with 0 blocks.

What I want to do is have a witness_node running, then I can get the ask/bid prices of some coins and use program to trade.

I have some questions here:

1. how to run witness_node smoothly even after restarting it?

2. do I have to set enable-stale-production = true  and add some winness-id ?
I see some thread in forum saying  to add some witness-id = "1.7.*
but in my config file, I can only add some "1.6.*", and I'v no idea what they are.

3. I heard the witness_node requires 8 ~ 24GB memory, closing it with Ctrl-C need to wait more than 10 minutes unitll it finish write data to disk,
but I only have 4GB memory, not SWAP, not SSD. but I never saw it use all of the memory, usually around 1GB,
though there is a time it did crashed with std::bad_alloc, but system still have lots of free memory, no OOM-killer message in system logs.
also closing it with a single Ctrl-C doesn't need to wait at all .

are these saying that I'm using wrong witness_node ?

4. is witness_node + cli_wallet enough to run a trading bot ? (with wintness_node default setting)

5. is there any public witness_node I can connect to ? then I can stop making my witness_node work, is it safe to run bot with public node ?

sorry, too many questions, but really need help, thanks!