Author Topic: Worker Proposal 1.14.58 - Bill Butler - BitsharesUI  (Read 17722 times)

Offline wmbutler

• View Profile
    • Music City Bitcoins
  • GitHub: wmbutler
I'm happy to hear that you agree. It was our original intent to allow anyone to submit PR's and award them monetarily for accepted PRs. My question is this:

If I modify the WP to support a bounty system, will you support it? If you agree, I will modify it.
PTS: PnBVP1iLTsV6U8z4BeJYhF8jMpkLhtTi9r
BTS2.0: billbutler
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
What if we formally modified the proposal to state that anyone in the community could claim an issue and work it for a bounty.

For example, we could attach a dollar value to each issue and members could submit a PR and be paid the bounty amount for each issue. This would open the process to anyone who had the necessary technical skills to resolve the issue? Would this strategy allow you, @bitcrab, to support the proposal?

EDIT:
In essence, this would turn the worker proposal into a UI development fund.

This idea is interesting.

A project manager analyse/classify the issues (as you're doing now), identify priorities, work with devs to identify what tasks need how much work/fund, or let the devs bid on the prices, after the work is done, review / merge to the code base (may need a team to do the reviews, may also need fund).

Periodically, report to the "management team" for performance review, but not only to an escrow who will release the fund no matter what's done.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline rnglab

• View Profile
  • BitShares: rnglab
I have introduce my architecture which  already used by btsbots.com

just fetch all transactions from witness_node, process all data, generate new data, save it to mongodb.
 mongodb is the new backend, it can be expand with a slave node easy.

nodejs get all data from mongodb, it's just a very common nodejs web project, no blockchain tec need for UI developer.
you can hire any reactjs developer to improve/custom your wallet.

you can get the source for btsbots.com: https://github.com/pch957/btsbots-demo-2016
icowallet is a Chinese team who develop a new wallet based the new architecture: https://www.icowallet.net/
they  have their business plan, are funded with a ICO, and will open source their wallet in the future.

I appreciate all your contributions.
This is slowly but steadily going autonomous, more functional and bigger. Proving that building decentralized consensus can result more beneficial than working on controlled, more isolated environments seems to be the greatest challenge now.
I'm ok with forks too. In some cases faster consensus and more direct control may be needed, maybe just having more things in common between peers to make everything easier.
In any case,  having a truly decentralized network as an upstream backup, a global community with synergistic competition and collaboration,  I think most of us agree on its value.

I will continue contribute to the new architecture, but not as a worker, as a volunteer.

Wouldn't you accept the network to pay what you deserve for solving issues that the network needs to get solved? The network should try to keep you doing things that makes her more valuable.
Even if your business already benefits from your contributions, you are also benefiting the whole network, and that reward should 'buy time' from best and most committed developers to  gain expertise, go deeper and stay longer to satisfy the demands from this highly scalable network.

How without an organized development team? a clean road map and coordination?
This  means to me that at some point proxies should become an active part on development management . Proxies with the ability to identify and to agree on general priorities,  measuring when to delay or trade off partial interests in favor of the whole system, should become something required by most users when they turn to have higher expectations from their shares.
We need to reduce voter apathy and active development is very positive to grow engagement.

I'm not talking about specific proxies. with actual rules this is my ideal expectation from such a powerful role.

This network is one of the most fruitful social peer to peer experiences I have seen, lets find out how to let her grow strong enough to remain free.

Offline oxarbitrage

just fetch all transactions from witness_node, process all data, generate new data, save it to mongodb.

nodejs get all data from mongodb, it's just a very common nodejs web project, no blockchain tec need for UI developer.

you can get the source for btsbots.com: https://github.com/pch957/btsbots-demo-2016
icowallet is a Chinese team who develop a new wallet based the new architecture: https://www.icowallet.net/
they  have their business plan, are funded with a ICO, and will open source their wallet in the future.

I will continue contribute to the new architecture, but not as a worker, as a volunteer.

this is very interesting, i had in mind to store bitshares data in a mongodb, i saw a steem project making it but never knew it was already done for bitshares. this will allow all kind of user apps to be done without knowing anything about blockchain technology.

probably a topic to discuss in a different thread but i will be happy to fork, test, create some documentation and such.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 11:49:42 am by oxarbitrage »

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav

who is gonna fork icowallets tech, test and implement it? who can audit? or do you expect this happens for free as well?

Offline alt

• View Profile
  • BitShares: baozi

Offline paliboy

A complete solution would be to pair this worker proposal with a similar one to improve APIs performance.
@abit, would you accept a well paid worker to lead the development of a node plugin that records the most required data into a more efficient data structure?  please?

What about you @alt? Would you accept such a proposal? Or even better, can you introduce your team that is willing to do it for free? ;)

Since the UI is decoupled from backend API, we don't need to implement it at the same time. It still makes sense to improve UI before improving backend API performance. Should we create a BSIP for it?

Offline rnglab

• View Profile
  • BitShares: rnglab
What if we formally modified the proposal to state that anyone in the community could claim an issue and work it for a bounty.

For example, we could attach a dollar value to each issue and members could submit a PR and be paid the bounty amount for each issue. This would open the process to anyone who had the necessary technical skills to resolve the issue? Would this strategy allow you, @bitcrab, to support the proposal?

EDIT:

This attitude is remarkable to me.
What about including someone like @zahomu, to ensure that development is equally beneficial to all, e.g. translating github issues and communicating chinese  <==> english fundamentals when needed.

A complete solution would be to pair this worker proposal with a similar one to improve APIs performance.
@abit, would you accept a well paid worker to lead the development of a node plugin that records the most required data into a more efficient data structure?  please?

Offline alt

• View Profile
1. efficient.
so the wallet can't support more clients without backend improve?
who will fix this? when?
2. code clean
here is some code from  component chat.jsx,
it is just a simple chat component, why I need to understand accountstore, chainstore, fetchchainobjects?
it's not a clean user interface component. it's difficut for reuse these component.
Code: [Select]
import React from "react";
import { connect } from "alt-react";
import AccountStore from "stores/AccountStore";
import Translate from "react-translate-component";
import Icon from "../Icon/Icon";
import {ChainStore} from "bitsharesjs/es";
import {debounce} from "lodash";
import SettingsActions from "actions/SettingsActions";
import SettingsStore from "stores/SettingsStore";
import Peer from "peerjs";
import utils from "common/utils";
import counterpart from "counterpart";
import LoadingIndicator from "../LoadingIndicator";
import AccountActions from "actions/AccountActions";
import TransactionConfirmStore from "stores/TransactionConfirmStore";
import {FetchChainObjects} from "bitsharesjs/es";
import TimeAgo from "../Utility/TimeAgo";
3. more function.
you have said we can't get more functions with current backend, so let's move to new backend.
more early more good.

I can't find clear target for this worker.
what I concern about the wallet include:
1. efficient.
currently only 100 client support with a 32G mem VPS node.
will this wallet support at least 10K users in the future?
don't told me this is backend guy's work.
if so, you should find partner who can improve backend, and work together.
as share holder, we need a complete solution, not some lego toy.
2. user friendly.
this is very difficult to verify.
but what make user friendly very difficult  because of most ui developer can't follow the wallet.
because the UI code mixed up with  many blockchain code.
will you make the UI completely independency from the blockchain tec?
3. more function
I have no idea why we need a seperate exploere like cryptofresh.com
all we need can implement in the wallet.
can you expand more function in the wallet? what's the plan?

1.Thats a backend issue so to resolve that we have to depend on Alfredo Garcia and the others working on the backend. That's also the case for @bitcrab concerns about GUI performance and api calls:its a backend issue.
2.The code is bog standard react + flux, with most of the blockchain code already split into a separate library (bitsharesjs)
3. A block explorer needs data that's not available from the witness_node, so replacing cryptofresh.com would require a whole new backend layer.
The current explorer parts could certainly improved however.

Offline svk

1. efficient.
2. user friendly.
but what make user friendly very difficult  because of most ui developer can't follow the wallet.
3. more function

1.Thats a backend issue so to resolve that we have to depend on Alfredo Garcia and the others working on the backend. That's also the case for @bitcrab concerns about GUI performance and api calls:its a backend issue.
2.The code is bog standard react + flux, with most of the blockchain code already split into a separate library (bitsharesjs)
3. A block explorer needs data that's not available from the witness_node, so replacing cryptofresh.com would require a whole new backend layer.
The current explorer parts could certainly improved however.
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks

Offline alt

• View Profile
1. efficient.
2. user friendly.
3. more function

Offline yvv

• View Profile
Who really cares if you outsource your worker or do all the job yourself, as long as the job gets done?

Offline wmbutler

• View Profile
    • Music City Bitcoins
  • GitHub: wmbutler

EDIT:
PTS: PnBVP1iLTsV6U8z4BeJYhF8jMpkLhtTi9r
BTS2.0: billbutler
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
@bitcrab I believe you are referring to this issue: https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-ui/issues/202

It's on the first sprint to resolve.

thanks, my concern is not the compete between different wallets, but whether the community sanctioned development is on the right way, we need to try to avoid wasting resources.

I'll try to collect more info and then give my opinion soon.

can we get the two parties work together? pretty sure part of the money can be used to pay a 4th person