Author Topic: What can be done for bitAssets that don't have a price feed anymore? (bitGOLD)  (Read 2721 times)

Offline gloine

• View Profile
Hi, I am a noob but just curious. Why are other bitAssets okay? Didn't they experience a black swan event?

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
we currently pay a developer to add black swan recovery... why do you investors not know about this? especially with a "significant" investment?

Where was the place to see this?

the workers tab in your client

Offline moinyoin

we currently pay a developer to add black swan recovery... why do you investors not know about this? especially with a "significant" investment?

Where was the place to see this?

Offline inarizushi

• View Profile

Ok, good news, thanks. We all have our reasons for what we do or not do, but I don't like your tone here. I love the technology and was completely convinced by Dan Larimers very well expressed arguments, but I don't love following what X or Y is doing now, I don't have the ability to read code, and I'm generally lost on github. I have spent a considerable amount of time learning about BitShares back in the old days, and written a big article about it in French, but I haven't followed that closely since the launch of steemit because I dislike it, and I dislike the fact that most interesting discussions are now happening on steemit and not in this forum, so I almost stopped following what was going on. Sorry for doing what I think best for myself with my time.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav

Offline moinyoin

I think there was an issue that's being patched next that prevents black swanned markets from restarting. Feed should be back up after that hf. can report as issue at https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-core/issues, someone can check or explain there far better than me.

There is only one way that compromised price feeds could impact BitUSD holders. If a real Black Swan event did occur, the delegates could post-pone/prevent liquidation by failing to publish prices that reflect the new reality. If this were to happen the internal market would continue to operate, but almost all feed-relative bids, asks, and shorts would be canceled (or filled) leaving only BitUSD longs to trade against BTS longs. The trading price would likely hover around the expected liquidation price because most players would expect the feed to eventually be corrected and force everyone to liquidate.

In short, pun intended, the price feeds alone are unable to harm shorts or longs and all market participants can predict with a high degree of confidence how to value BitUSD in any and all market conditions.
http://bytemaster.github.io/article/2015/01/27/BitAssets-and-Black-Swan-Events/

Best I could find

Offline inarizushi

• View Profile
BitGOLD doesn't have a price feed anymore, maybe since june, I don't remember when I first realized that. First I thought it was due to the fact that there was a blackswan event, but if that was the case, my bitGOLD would have been converted into BTS, right? Without price feed, what happened to the collateral of short positions? Is it stuck until a price feed comes back?

I have a significant stake in BitGOLD, so I'm quite nervous about losing this money, and this actually makes me doubt about all bitAssets, I can't be sure that they will sustain a value, that's a big bummer (and it will cost me a lot of money if the price feed never comes back).
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads