Author Topic: TESTNET Issues to be discussed.  (Read 2711 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I've updated the first two points ... the third one is part of the UI
as for the python tools, pygraphenelib is a dependency of pybitshares and considered low-level code :)

I am glad to see the testnet grow. Will see how to fund further work on it.

Offline Ravid

• View Profile
We are not alone.
We've got folks from apasia.tech, agorise, openledger, bituniverse - all trying to help and move this project forward. No reason to be pessimistic, we just need to embrace them and work together, not against each other. They may be small teams with limited resources but none of them needs to lead the whole thing. Can we bring them together and see who wants to do what?

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
We need management. [..] Decentralization is a very nice concept in theory, but it's not helpful if you want to get something done.

Ok, all you have to do is write a worker proposal that you want to hire some sort of product manager, what the term and salary will be, and BTS holders can either approve or reject the proposal.

If it is approved, and we hire project managers and pay them (the management) you are referring to... then we're done.  Now we have management.

If you realize it's just a different (but better way) of doing things in a decentralized environment, you'll see this is where we are with Bitshares:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vlzKaH4mpw

We're stuck with old style thinking and pessimism. Anything can be done.  We just have to learn that...
Someone needs to stand out. He can write the proposal, you can as well. Me too. But it's not limited to that.
We need someone to do the hiring. This one should get approved by stake holders.
We need to find a team that can be hired.

The top proxies in BitShares are like the management team in a company, since they are representations of stake holders, they make decisions on things to an extent. We have a Telegram group which have most of top proxies inside, however, no discussion about project management/development there.

The BitShares Improvement Protocol repository (https://github.com/bitshares/bsips) is the base of new back-end features and improvements, however, few activities there. This need to be improved. We need people to participate.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline intelliguy

We need management. [..] Decentralization is a very nice concept in theory, but it's not helpful if you want to get something done.

Ok, all you have to do is write a worker proposal that you want to hire some sort of product manager, what the term and salary will be, and BTS holders can either approve or reject the proposal.

If it is approved, and we hire project managers and pay them (the management) you are referring to... then we're done.  Now we have management.

If you realize it's just a different (but better way) of doing things in a decentralized environment, you'll see this is where we are with Bitshares:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vlzKaH4mpw

We're stuck with old style thinking and pessimism. Anything can be done.  We just have to learn that...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 03:46:06 am by intelliguy »
I'm @intelliguy on steemit. I usually get things right (or so they tell me), follow me there if you want to see more. Tips accepted to bitshares user: intelliguy-bts  (I'm a lifetime member because I trust in the Bitshares ecosystem)

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
Testnet is not only for Bitshares Devs, but for partnering companies, business on top of it, gateway developers, 3rd party platforms that would like to integrate with, etc. It has the same importance as the real node (mainnet)

Would love to see some comments and ETA's on this :)

That's your opinion, and I agree that's how it *should* be. Reality is, however, that testnet is a volunteer effort, like so many other things in our community. testnet.bitshares.eu belongs to xeroc, who is rather overworked anyway.

If you want to get this done, find someone who will do it, and create a worker proposal or have it funded otherwise.

What you're really highlighting here is a fundamental problem of our DAC. We need management. For the UI we have Bill and his team, but we need something similar for the backend stuff. Decentralization is a very nice concept in theory, but it's not helpful if you want to get something done.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline Digital Lucifer

• BitShares Maximalist & Venture Architect
    • View Profile
    • BitShares
  • BitShares: dls.cipher
  • GitHub: dls-cipher
+5% +5% +5%

I would add another one:
* testnet.bitshares.eu runs version 160106 of UI, upgrade to something newer

Tim (STokens) had that one on the list as well, but since even the master branch for mainnet is downloading old one, i didn't want to place it there for now :)

He also added Windows solutions for core, ui and wallet. There has been some testing on Windows Server stations. Will update soon.

Anyway, awesome comment and addition, anyway.

Thanks,

Luci :)
Milos (DL) Preocanin
Owner and manager of bitshares.org
Move Institute, Non-profit organization
RN: 2098555000
Murska Sobota, Slovenia.

Offline paliboy

+5% +5% +5%

I would add another one:
* testnet.bitshares.eu runs version 160106 of UI, upgrade to something newer

Offline Digital Lucifer

• BitShares Maximalist & Venture Architect
    • View Profile
    • BitShares
  • BitShares: dls.cipher
  • GitHub: dls-cipher
Bitshares community,

Wish you all good morning from Thailand!

Since earlier I've read something from @intelliguy very nicely written, yeah this is DEX and until someone step up, there will be no project management.

Today was perfect morning for me, in the Bitshares DEX channel. I had very nice opportunity to communicate on some issues and needed fixes with CTO of STokens. As CTO to a CTO of 2 crypto-involved entities, I'm sure there is no need for anyone to question the integrity of our knowledge and further post content.

Now, let's imagine that i'm investor or a shareholder, with a secret profile and nobody knows who I am. I'm coming here to test my investment/project im staking in, and i would like to see how fast developers and other shareholders will reply to these issues:

● [FUNNY BUG] Number of coins given by the faucet should be higher than 10,000. 10,000 as start is completely worthless against 10,000 coins Life-Time member fee, or 5,000 fee for issuing new asset.
● [FUNNY BUG] Lower the vesting period from 365 days to something more reasonable - It's just a TESTNET.
● [FUNNY BUG] When creating an MPA from the GUI, the field for minimum number of price feeds does not recognize any value but the original as an integer. The only way to currently create an MPA with a higher or lower number of price feeds is:
     ○ Creating it with a full node, witness or cli.
     ○ Updating the minimum total post-creation.
●  [DOCS] Updated tutorials for interacting with the testnet from one of the many python tools for Bitshares. That could be graphenelib or pybitshares, even though pybitshares has the best documentation, just needs updating.

Testnet is not only for Bitshares Devs, but for partnering companies, business on top of it, gateway developers, 3rd party platforms that would like to integrate with, etc. It has the same importance as the real node (mainnet)

Would love to see some comments and ETA's on this :)

Many thanks,

Lucifer.
Milos (DL) Preocanin
Owner and manager of bitshares.org
Move Institute, Non-profit organization
RN: 2098555000
Murska Sobota, Slovenia.