Author Topic: [Witness Proposal] - South Africa  (Read 12444 times)

Offline etienne_marais

Been busy with it since this morning, was just about to inquire...

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX
Voted. And have a quick question. Do you have your price feeds up?

Thank you.

No. What are the requirements around this, i.e. are non commercial feeds from the crypto world an adequate start ?
My plan is to set up an ZAR (South African Rand) asset and feed in the coming months.
It is very unlikely that you will get on the active list until you have your price feeds up. Better get on it!

Offline etienne_marais

Thank you.

No. What are the requirements around this, i.e. are non commercial feeds from the crypto world an adequate start ?
My plan is to set up an ZAR (South African Rand) asset and feed in the coming months.

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX

Offline etienne_marais

Good people

My witness and hotswapable backup witnesses are running, as well as two separate public full nodes (pull requests done to add to codebase)

Full node1: wss://btsza.co.za:8091
Full node2: wss://btsbackup.dedicated.co.za:8091

Please vote for etienne-marais or scrutinize if need, and thanks to those who have already done so.

Proposal/information available here: www.viralmike.com/etienne-marais.php

Offline etienne_marais

Backup server/witness-node is now operational as well.

I have two separate chain running on the main server:
witness_node --rpc-endpoint=127.0.0.1:8090 --witness-id "1.6.96" --private-key ["<my public key>", "my private key"]
witness_node -d <my data dir> --rpc-endpoint=0.0.0.0:8091 --p2p-endpoint=0.0.0.0:1776

The seed node is open for rpc, but does not include plugin history configuration which I assume is needed to qualify as a full node.

The backup proposed witness node is running on the backup server:
witness_node --rpc-endpoint=127.0.0.1:8090 --witness-id '"1.6.96"' --private-key '["<different public key>", "<different private key>"]

Full node to follow on backup server.

If you feel like it, you can vote for me so long while I read up a bit more on what exactly constitutes a full node / API node / plugin history settings.

EDIT: It seems the default witness invocations cater for everything.

etienne-marais 1.6.96
www.viralmike.com/etienne-marais.php
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 04:15:50 pm by etienne_marais »

Offline etienne_marais

My goal is to enhance regional activity on Bitshares based platforms and provide low latency access. My witness is operational and I am working towards backup and public full/seed/API nodes before I submit my proposal. Any further input regarding approaches to facilitate the mentioned goal would be highly appreciated.

Draft proposal: http://www.viralmike.com/etienne-marais.php#top
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 05:45:50 pm by etienne_marais »

Offline etienne_marais

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
Your backup node should be kept running in hot standby, so it will keep itself in sync with the rest of the network.
You must configure it to use a different block production key though, to make sure that not both nodes are producing blocks at the same time.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline etienne_marais

Your server is more than sufficient for running a witness node at this time, and for some time to come.

In order to get voted in, you should provide additional infrastructure, like seed node(s) and/or API node(s). You also need a backup server, preferrably in a different location, that can take over when your main server goes down.

For setting things up and proving yourself it would be advisable to run a testnet witness as well.

Thanks for that. May I ask what type of replication system on a different premises keeps a backup server in sync ? Could something like rsync be adequate to keep the witness state replicated ?

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
Your server is more than sufficient for running a witness node at this time, and for some time to come.

In order to get voted in, you should provide additional infrastructure, like seed node(s) and/or API node(s). You also need a backup server, preferrably in a different location, that can take over when your main server goes down.

For setting things up and proving yourself it would be advisable to run a testnet witness as well.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline etienne_marais

I am planning on setting up what I take would be the first Witness in South Africa.

Please confirm if, and projected for how long, a server with the following specs. would suffice:

64GB RAM
E5 2603
2TB HD (SATA II, 64MB cache)

Server co-location I am looking at will provide 100MBS fibre backbone access with 4TB bandwidth.

Please indicate what could be my chances for being voted active.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 09:37:35 pm by etienne_marais »