Author Topic: [Witness Proposal] - South Africa  (Read 12316 times)

Offline sschiessl

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: sschiessl
Hey there Etienne,

I am writing you today as member of the BitShares UI team. We are updating node descriptions and I believe these ones are run by you?

{url: "wss://blockzms.xyz/ws", location: "USA"},

Could you please provide me with an update to that a la
        https://github.com/bitshares/bitshares-ui/issues/1521

Thanks in advance,
 Stefan

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
Join the telegram channel for witnesses if you haven't already.
What is the URL for this witness channel?
Tell us more info about your, and/or contribute more, then people will invite you.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline metacoin

• View Profile
What is the URL for this witness channel?

Offline etienne_marais

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
you just got my vote ... sorry for being late to the show :-D

Offline etienne_marais

Thanks people, I will give it another go and do some canvassing.

Offline abit

• Committee member
    • View Profile
    • Abit's Hive Blog
  • BitShares: abit
  • GitHub: abitmore
Just saw this and voted. @etienne_marais are you still around? Please contact @xeroc for more votes.
BitShares committee member: abit
BitShares witness: in.abit

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
:-( Please reconsider. You have shown initiative, you have the skills, and you seem to quickly grasp how things work. I'd say we have active witnesses in the list who lack in more than of these regards. We need more witnesses than we have, and the pay is quite generous.

I know the lobbying part sucks for technically oriented people. And it's especially difficult for newcomers. But be persistent - all it takes is to convince some of the voting proxies. I've already voted for you.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline etienne_marais

After some consideration I have decided to withdraw my witness proposal. I think the existing witnesses are well established with members very active in the community and high levels of contribution. I will not be able to spend that amount of time on development and activity.

I do however propose incentive for running a full node, to the degree of covering server fees and a bit. If this should happen I will happily return and get involved to some degree if I can contribute.

Offline etienne_marais

I will eventually post in a separate thread, but I have had a look at UI related issues on GitHub. My initial intent was to get involved with existing trading platforms but I fear that my perception of how user experience and UI layout should be adapted, especially with an understanding of the local potential market's character, may require a fork of the windows trading platform and redesign some UI features from the ground up. Would another trading platform be detrimental to rate of development and improvement of the existing or beneficial (especially considering existing other separate projects in development) ?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 09:21:29 am by etienne_marais »

Offline etienne_marais

Thank you to everybody has voted so far.

Price feed is ready as of yesterday and I am looking forward to get actively involved.

Offline sahkan

• View Profile
    • BitShares DEX

Offline etienne_marais

That's kind of circular  :P
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 04:38:53 pm by etienne_marais »

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav
you are only allowed to post feeds when you're active

Offline etienne_marais

Witness set up as price feed, but bts monitor reports:

2017-12-29 18:16:33,592 WARNING  [bts_tools.feeds:check_feeds:773] -- bts witness etienne-marais feeds: tried to publish all feeds in a single transaction, but failed. Will try to publish each feed separately now
2017-12-29 18:16:33,607 WARNING  [bts_tools.feeds:check_feeds:789] -- bts witness etienne-marais feeds: Failed to publish feed for asset USD

and cli wallet running as daemon says:

Caught exception while broadcasting tx c7464b9185c58175f7dc7114ccc0782254bb8216:  0 exception: unspecified
missing required active authority: Missing Active Authority 1.2.401166

Config.yaml looks like this:

type: bts                         # [REQUIRED] build environment used for compiling the binary [bts, muse, steem, ppy, etc.]
        data_dir: /datadir/bts/chain      # [REQUIRED] the data dir of the client is where the blockchain data and the wallet file are stored
        api_access: /datadir/bts/chain/api_access.json    # [REQUIRED] api_access.json should be created according to https://github.com/BitShares/bitshares-2#accessing-restricted-apis
        seed_nodes:                       # [OPTIONAL]
        - bts-seed1.abit-more.com:62015
        - seed.bitsharesnodes.com:1776
        p2p_port: 1778                    # [OPTIONAL] network port to be used for p2p communication of the witness node
        track_accounts:                   # [OPTIONAL] [bts only] reduce RAM usage by specifying the only accounts that should be tracked
        - 1.2.0      # witness-account
        - 1.2.111226  # bittwenty
        - 1.2.126782  # bittwenty.feed
        witness_host: localhost         # [OPTIONAL] defaults to 'localhost', but can be a remote host if desired
        witness_port: 8090                # [OPTIONAL] some defaults are provided for each different chain
        witness_user: etienne-marais      # [REQUIRED] as in api_access.json
        witness_password: <tried exactly as in generated json file, as well as the password used to create hash>  # [REQUIRED] as in api_access.json
        wallet_host: localhost            # [OPTIONAL] defaults to 'localhost', but can be a remote host if desired
        wallet_port: 8092                 # [OPTIONAL] some defaults are provided for each different chain
        wallet_password:           # [OPTIONAL] only needed for feed publishing  # FIXME: not true, currently unused param
        notification: email #, telegram     # [OPTIONAL] type of notification channel to be used: [email, boxcar, telegram]

# roles are optional, and you can have as many as you want for a given client
        # a client that doesn't define any role will not be monitored by the web interface,
        # but can still be used for building and running a client
        roles:
        -
            role: witness
            name: etienne-marais           # [REQUIRED] name of the witness account on the blockchain
            witness_id: 1.6.96      # [REQUIRED]
            signing_key: <private key used in witness >   # [REQUIRED] private key used by this witness for signing
        -
            role: feed_publisher
            name: etienne-marais     # [REQUIRED] name of the account that publishes the feed on the blockchain
        -
            role: seed
            name: seed77             # [REQUIRED] name has no relevance for seed nodes, except for identifying them in the UI

# most of the clients try to have sensible defaults as much as possible, but you
    # need to specify at least: type, data_dir, api_access, witness_user, witness_password