Author Topic: A proposal to update the margin call process  (Read 6615 times)

Offline bitcrab

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcrab
  • GitHub: bitcrab
according to the current margin call rule, when the collateral rate of the debt position fall under 1.75, all the collateral are put into an order to sell at the price of settlement price * 0.9.

a big problem generalized by this rule is, when there is a huge debt position be margin called, a huge sell order will be there, this enhance the trend of the price go down, and speed up the coming of more margin call, this positive-feedback always lead to a disaster.

speculators realize that there a big chance to make money by shorting BTS and buy back BTS from the margin call order, they keep there eye on this and find chance to manually create margin call, the result is, users who generate smartcoin to cultivate the ecosystem are always in danger and be hurt now and then, and the price of BTS are in a big limit to go up.

actually it is not a must to sell all the collaterized BTS when the debt position is margin called, it's possible to split the debt position into 2 parts, give one part(let's call it reserve part) a higher collateral ratio(let's call it reserve collateral ratio) and put the other part(enhance part) into sell with a lower collateral ratio(let's call it enhance collateral ratio), this can reduce the quantity of sell orders and slow down the price to go down.

here we need to introduce 2 global parameters:

reserve collateral ratio (RCR) and enhance collateral ratio(ECR).

when a debt position are margin called, a process will be trigged to splict the position to 2 parts, the ratio for collateral that be put into reserve collateral part are:

r = RCR*(MCR-ECR)/MCR(RCR-ECR)

suppose MCR = 1.75, RCR = 1.8, ECR = 1.5, then r = 85.7%
suppose MCR = 1.75, RCR = 1.85, ECR = 1.5, then r = 75.5%

I believe this will help BTS a lot.

I wonder whether this is possible from development perspective and I hope this topic can be discussed more.

Email:bitcrab@qq.com