Author Topic: The Distributed Autonomous Non-Profit (DAN)  (Read 2535 times)

Offline CWEvans

• View Profile
+5% if you can work in a tax deduction, it would be perfect.

...says a man from Miami;)

Offline unimercio

• The opportunity of a lifetime comes by every 7 day
    • View Profile
    • Conscious Entrepreneurship Foundation (CEF)
  • BitShares: unimercio
I've had some thoughts on it and I have a model that I think would work well - I give you -

The Distributed Autonomous Non-Profit. (DAN, so named, just to tease him)

Based on MemoryCoin (which itself could be viewed as a DAN) with the following differences -

1. 100% Premined - distributed to trusted organizations in the sector, or a benevolent philanthropist
2. 100% Proof-of-Stake (because mining is wasteful)
3. Angels (instead of officers, varying numbers with varying salaries)
4. Proxy voting (so Philanthropists can delegate governance)

Here's how it works -

1. Angels - these are the people or organizations who are working to forward the DAN's manifesto. They announce their projects or goals and ask for votes. If they win a position, they receive a salary in the DAN's shares which they have discretion to use to further their projects and goals.

2. Philanthropists - these are the people who buy and hold the DAN's shares. By keeping shares off the market it boosts the DAN's share price, boosting funds for the Angels. They can keep score with other Philanthropists and never lose their investment - they can sell it anytime if they lose confidence in the DAN, or pass it onto their heirs. They can even increase their investment by supporting DAN's that other Philanthropists later want to support. Their contribution is the risk that the DAN's share price declines.

3. Governors - someone needs to keep an eye on the Angels to make sure they're delivering on their promises. Governors can ask for a Philanthropist's proxies - a Philanthropist therefore doesn't need to get involved with voting directly for Angels, they just need a Governor that they trust, and vote a proxy. A Governor might also be an Angel and vice versa.

Angels are motivated to deliver to keep Governors voting for them.
Governors are motivated to choose good Angels so that Philanthropists give them their proxies.
Philanthropists are motivated to choose good Governors to keep their investment valuable.

+5% if you can work in a tax deduction, it would be perfect.
Conscious Entrepreneurship Foundation (CEF)

Offline CWEvans

• View Profile
.dan could be the BTS DNS counterpart to .org, as .p2p looks to become the counterpart to .com.

...because Distributed Autonomous Charity would cause confusion.

Offline FreeTrade

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Come on Freetrade - why you always steal my ideas? This is just like my Distributed Autonomous Machine Network program...

LOL - yes, unless stated otherwise, all my good ideas come from my evil nemesis MaxPWR. Thanks Max, you're a continual inspiration to me.
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher

Offline MaxPWR

• Sink 2UR Source
    • View Profile
    • Max's Power Plant
Come on Freetrade - why you always steal my ideas? This is just like my Distributed Autonomous Machine Network program...

MMC may actually be perfect for this.  It may be possible for any individual to use this to start / fund / file / grow a nonprofit or charity around himself virtually in MMC first, b/c of MMC's nonprofit and voting.

Whole thing needs write-up and review, but I think you can get:

A: For-Profit Individual - Me
B: Cooperative Nonstock Corporation - Me and any MMC member that votes for me
C: Legal business trust - My MMC address

B can be a nonprofit or charity with A as a director.  MMC Manifesto can be used as the basis for tax-exempt from US IRS...but takes time to approve.  Members of B are defined as any MMC member which agrees A acts in cooperative benefit of B members by voting.  MMC voting can be used as shareholder approval.

Ultimately, my MMC address could have a contract / legal trust status attached to it while A develops into any entity and B files for nonprofit status? Seems useful...
You can't stop the signal, Mal. Everything goes somewhere, and I go everywhere.

PWR UP: MAXVTEoYhDfWJjvkNm2ZmUhHpYbsPYuybg

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline boshen1011

• Keyhotee ID:Bo
    • View Profile

:)

Offline FreeTrade

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
I've had some thoughts on it and I have a model that I think would work well - I give you -

Based on MemoryCoin (which itself could be viewed as a DAN) with the following differences -

1. 100% Premined - distributed to trusted organizations in the sector, or a benevolent philanthropist
2. 100% Proof-of-Stake (because mining is wasteful)
3. Angels (instead of officers, varying numbers with varying salaries)
4. Proxy voting (so Philanthropists can delegate governance)

Here's how it works -

1. Angels - these are the people or organizations who are working to forward the DAN's manifesto. They announce their projects or goals and ask for votes. If they win a position, they receive a salary in the DAN's shares which they have discretion to use to further their projects and goals.

2. Philanthropists - these are the people who buy and hold the DAN's shares. By keeping shares off the market it boosts the DAN's share price, boosting funds for the Angels. They can keep score with other Philanthropists and never lose their investment - they can sell it anytime if they lose confidence in the DAN, or pass it onto their heirs. They can even increase their investment by supporting DAN's that other Philanthropists later want to support. Their contribution is the risk that the DAN's share price declines.

3. Governors - someone needs to keep an eye on the Angels to make sure they're delivering on their promises. Governors can ask for a Philanthropist's proxies - a Philanthropist therefore doesn't need to get involved with voting directly for Angels, they just need a Governor that they trust, and vote a proxy. A Governor might also be an Angel and vice versa.

Angels are motivated to deliver to keep Governors voting for them.
Governors are motivated to choose good Angels so that Philanthropists give them their proxies.
Philanthropists are motivated to choose good Governors to keep their investment valuable.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 06:52:13 pm by FreeTrade »
“People should be more sophisticated? How are you gonna get that done?” - Jerry Seinfeld reply to Bill Maher