Author Topic: [Witness Proposal] 1.6.129 - zapata42-witness  (Read 16195 times)

Offline fav

• No Pain, No Gain
    • View Profile
    • Follow Me!
  • BitShares: fav

Offline Digital Lucifer

• BitShares Maximalist & Venture Architect
    • View Profile
    • BitShares
  • BitShares: dls.cipher
  • GitHub: dls-cipher
Can you please provide a block producer for the testnet as well?
To get my votes, I usually look how well they perform on the testnet (block production only, no price feeds).

My testnet block producer is running since early may and active since 12/05/2018. The account is: witness-zapata.

I also consider that running a testnet block producer is a mandatory task for a witness. I always test my changes on testnet before applying them on mainnet. It was also required for some developments. I am trying to keep it as stable as the main one.

On testnet, I missed 579 blocks so far:
  • the first ~540 was because initially I didn't put the correct private/public key pair, and didn't notice that I was activated. To prevent the issue on mainnet I monitor the activation (see this commit)
  • then I missed ~20 to update the version and at that time I was not running a backup node;
  • 1 block missed for a non investigated issue (short network loss);
  • then I missed ~15 block during my chaos testing to validate the backup procedures: I switch signing key after 3 blocks, and I tested muliple cases.
Note that I have heavely updated the underlying servers and kubernetes cluster while running the witness without issues.

Voted (just humble ~200k BTS). I have a testnet witness, so I can co-relate with issues you had and highly appreciate your precision in reporting.

Milos (DL) Preocanin
Owner and manager of bitshares.org
Move Institute, Non-profit organization
RN: 2098555000
Murska Sobota, Slovenia.

Offline zapata42

• View Profile
  • BitShares: zapata42
To get my votes, I usually look how well they perform on the testnet (block production only, no price feeds).

My testnet block producer is running since early may and active since 12/05/2018. The account is: witness-zapata.

I also consider that running a testnet block producer is a mandatory task for a witness. I always test my changes on testnet before applying them on mainnet. It was also required for some developments. I am trying to keep it as stable as the main one.

On testnet, I missed 579 blocks so far:
  • the first ~540 was because initially I didn't put the correct private/public key pair, and didn't notice that I was activated. To prevent the issue on mainnet I monitor the activation (see this commit)
  • then I missed ~20 to update the version and at that time I was not running a backup node;
  • 1 block missed for a non investigated issue (short network loss);
  • then I missed ~15 block during my chaos testing to validate the backup procedures: I switch signing key after 3 blocks, and I tested muliple cases.
Note that I have heavely updated the underlying servers and kubernetes cluster while running the witness without issues.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 01:02:35 pm by zapata42 »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline Bangzi

• View Profile
    • Steemit: Bangzi
  • BitShares: bangzi
Bitshares DEX - Over 1000 Coins, Buy, Sell, Transfer & List Any Coins |Free Signup Today: https://wallet.bitshares.org/?r=bangzi

Offline zapata42

• View Profile
  • BitShares: zapata42
Hello,

dear Bitshares community, I want to propose my services as a Bitshares Witness.

Please vote for zapata42-witness.

Who am I?

I am a developer with 13 years of experience in finance sector, based in Paris (France). I have worked for BNP Paribas Corporate Investment Banking in the equity derivatives business for the past 10 years in projects as varied as price publication, position keeping or request for quotes, and as a developer, technical lead or architect. Java is my main programming language but I have good knowledge of Python, Javascript, and Ruby. See below for my full resume.

I came to know Bitshares about one year ago, and since then I closely followed it as I was impressed by the technology, the balanced economical model and the distributed governance. I started to contribute on my spare time as I could:

Now I want to be more involved in Bitshares, and as I am not a C++ nor a React programmer (yet?), I feel like witness role currently suit me best to help the community. You will found below my current setup, and what I plan to do once voted in.

My current setup:

Hardware: 3 x VPS 4 cores CPU at 2.4ghz, 24GB RAM, 100GB SSD hard drive, 250Mpbs internet bandwith, Location: France.
    (I consider this a minimum, see below for my target plan)

I run 2 witness mainnet nodes (account zapata42-witness) and 2 witness testnet node (witness-zapata).
    They are monitored through an improved version of @clockwork's telegram monitoring bot that handle automatic key switch and price feed monitoring.

The price feed is ready, I already publish @nasdaq assets (see AMAZONCOM) and I use a stabilized version of @xeroc's pricefeed.

Additionnaly I host some services:
        Mainnet API:         https://api.dex.trading  (max-ops-per-account = 100)
        Mainnet Seed:       seed.dex.trading:1776
        Testnet API:          https://testnet.dex.trading
        Wallet:                  https://wallet.dex.trading or https://bitshares.dex.trading (patched version that use my referral link as default)

Services are served through multiple proxies (currently NGINX) that do rate limiting and SSL termination.
    For SSL certificate is issued by Let's encrypt and renewal is automated.
    Everything run on a private multi datacenter Kubernetes cluster (so fully Dockerized and resilient) and monitored through Prometheus/Grafana.
    The setup is automated and ready to scale, see my plan below.

My plan:

If I get voted as an active witness my focus will be on:
  • Providing a stable block producer
  • Providing a stable, accurate and auditable price feed of most Market Pegged Assets
  • Grow Bitshares infrastructure, community and software ecosystem
This means:
  • Upgrade the infrastructure. With the current witness pay (~30 witness / bts=0.2$ / 1bts per block) I aim to add:
                        6 x Dedicated 4c/8t 3Ghz CPU, 64go RAM, 1To SSD hard drive, 250Mpbs internet bandwith, Locations: france, germany, uk, canada, singapore, australia
  • Continuous improvements of the setup like: geo optimizations for latency (GeoDNS + regional vlan), premium wildcard SSL certificate, premium api acess, ...
  • Additional to classic API nodes, I will install and serve community tools like: Open-Explorer, Python API Backend, Elastic Search database with a data visualization tool like Kibana/Graphana, Bitshares HUG, and any future interesting project of the community;
  • Active participation (code contributions, code/issue/bsip review, testing) to community initiatives (core, ui, tools, documentation) as a developer;
  • Participate to meetups and hackathons to promote Bitshares;
  • Regularly run third party professional penetration testing on the setup;
  • if BTS price allow me to do it, hire other people to help me.

So why voting for zapata42-witness ?
  • Experienced software developer with professional experience in developing and running financial highly critical software;
  • Professional experience in price contribution in a main financial company;
  • Proven will and capacity to contribute on Bitshares related projects;
  • Full setup (witness, pricefeed + api) in place, and wide range of services in target;
  • Active investment in Bitshares ecosystem (infrastructure & time) planned;
  • Knowledgeable in blockchain internals;
  • Relations in French fintech and financial institutions;
  • Fresh blood.

Telegram: @Zapata_42
  LinkedIn profile

* Edit 20180901: Update seed port.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 05:25:26 pm by zapata42 »