Author Topic: Marketing Bounties to Spread Awareness  (Read 5382 times)

Offline bytemaster

The problem we face is that almost no one understands what we are doing here.

After Bitshares XT launches and it's time to market, it might be a good idea to reach out to financial commentators that have been vocal in their support for asset-backed crytos.  I know their views can be controversial; however, individuals like Peter Schiff (and to a lesser extent Reggie Middleton) have a large media reach and could probably simplify and explain Bitshares in a way that others can easily understand.  Schiff has been negative and ignorant on Bitcoin but I honestly think he'd be fascinated and supportive of a BitGold and BitUSD DAC.
Bytemaster, after seeing your recent debate I think you'd do well explaining Bitshares to someone (like Schiff) that's actually knowledgeable in business, finance, and economics.  I think the problem lies in that the majority of people don't understand these concepts at a fundamental level.

We have already talked with Reggie Middleton and he likes what we are doing and is prepared to help when BitShares XT is out.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline yellowecho

The problem we face is that almost no one understands what we are doing here.

After Bitshares XT launches and it's time to market, it might be a good idea to reach out to financial commentators that have been vocal in their support for asset-backed crytos.  I know their views can be controversial; however, individuals like Peter Schiff (and to a lesser extent Reggie Middleton) have a large media reach and could probably simplify and explain Bitshares in a way that others can easily understand.  Schiff has been negative and ignorant on Bitcoin but I honestly think he'd be fascinated and supportive of a BitGold and BitUSD DAC.
Bytemaster, after seeing your recent debate I think you'd do well explaining Bitshares to someone (like Schiff) that's actually knowledgeable in business, finance, and economics.  I think the problem lies in that the majority of people don't understand these concepts at a fundamental level.
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline jae208

• View Profile
For some reason I see a ton of stuff about Ethereum wherever I go, but I don't see much about BTS, PTS, or AGS. This is a complete injustice to the work being done by Invictus and this community at large.

What if we established a Marketing Bounty program to help drive marketing, awareness, and adoption? If we can reward bounties to people for writing blogs, podcasts, Facebook pages, or articles, then include small bounties for people to share or post to major social media platforms, we can spread the message far and wide. We will have to reach a consensus in the community of message that we want to put forth, that way we can have some sort of impact on the narrative.

This community has some brilliant concepts with extremely talented devs, but we haven't even scratched the surface of what is capable. People need to know that this community exists, and if we don't market the concepts we could all potentially lose out in the end.

Marketing an idea is more important than the idea itself in many ways. Everyone should know what you guys are doing here.

The problem we face is that almost no one understands what we are doing here.   Few really understand Ethereum either, but that is beside the point.    The feedback I am given is that despite my interviews, long conversations, etc no one seems to really understand it at a level that they can explain to others.

On this forum I would assume that 90% like what we are doing without even understanding it all in detail.  These are people with good intuition, but intuition is sometimes hard to explain.  There are perhaps 10% that can start to explain how and why it works.   

This is what Brian Page is working night and day to solve.

I would also submit that we already have more than enough publicity at this stage in development.  Now a month after we have BitShares XT launched successfully then will be the time to really pile on the marketing.

I think the reason most people don't fundamentally understand what Invictus and Ethereum are striving towards is because people don't have the foundational knowledge necessary to even begin understanding.

For instance, people don't grasp/understand or want to accept the the world of money is like a religion and as long as people have 'faith' in something it is accepted as true. Regardless of whether it is rational or not.

If there is a lack of understanding of how traditional banking and monetary institutions work than it makes understanding the significance of your work a little harder to understand. However, people do have a gut feeling that the system is inefficient and that your work holds great promise.
http://bitsharestutorials.com A work in progress
Subscribe to the Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/BitsharesTutorials

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
It's really a balancing act right now. It is certainly scary that Invictus is holding off a marketing push, especially in the funding stage. But it can certainly be a mistake if they push before they are ready. Either way the air is filled with angst. But that's part of the fun too!

We all trust in Brian Page at this point. I hope that video arrives soon! It can be a good thing if more people invest after BTC has gone down as well (: .. So many considerations t_t

I'd love to have a more open discussion about how to spend funds, and tried to propose a "suggest bounty" thread, but I guess for some reason this idea is not good?

Offline Markus

• View Profile
The problem now is that you have to spend a month to figure out how it is meant to work (I mostly mean Bitshares X with this) and then still trust your guts that it will. Because there is no proof of principle yet that it will work you can't just believe in it.

As Dan said, after BTSX will have been out for a while and it really does track, then it'll be time for big marketing. Then people won't have to understand why it works, only that it does.

Anyway, most here won't mind having a few more weeks to pick up PTS or AGS cheaply. The beginning of an uptrend in both is already there.

Offline thazel72

• View Profile
Great recommendation for a bounty back in the day!! That's the go to video when explaining what BTC is. I believe in what Invictus is doing, and look forward the seeing your many achievements get notoriety. Thanks for doing what you do!!

Offline bytemaster

You will be happy to know that the We Use Coins video was inspired by a Bounty I started back in the day.  A video for BitShares is in the works and will come out soon.   It is this video that we are waiting for before really pushing things out there... don't worry about marketing, Brian Page is systematic, organized, and has a team of people working for him behind the scenes.   

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline thazel72

• View Profile
Understanding the concept is definitely a difficult task, but I would argue that the average user doesn't need to fully understand every detail of it. Most people don't understand how the dollar works either, but they at least understand enough to use it. The average user of any products or services cannot explain how it works, but they have been sold on the idea at some point. You guys are doing some amazing stuff, and what you are doing has a huge potential to impact the world, but all of the material that has come out is so far over peoples heads that they are intimidated by it. Users do not need to know all of the details, they just need the bullet points, and a reason to join the party. What are the benefits of BTS and why is it important? How and why are DACs different, and what are the pros and cons? These are big questions.

I remember the first time I saw this video, an now it has over 5.1 million views. This video beautifully illustrates what BTC is, by breaking it down so a layman could understand it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um63OQz3bjo

I cannot wait for the day that Bitshares has videos like these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-w7SnQWwVA&list=PL73q2zDIiGK_O5OYdK5vxcezzC0zu_3OS

These items have done a lot to explain to the average layman how BTC works. I am sure that these will be created overtime, and I know that you guys are ridiculously busy working to develop , but maybe offering bounties for these types of projects could help grease the wheels, and speed up development of the layman educational material.

Disclaimer: I cannot say that I fully understand what you are doing from a technical point of view, but I do understand enough about the potential social, economical, and financial impact of DACs to say that what you are doing is brilliant in so many ways. Keep up the good work and Godspeed!!

Offline bytemaster

For some reason I see a ton of stuff about Ethereum wherever I go, but I don't see much about BTS, PTS, or AGS. This is a complete injustice to the work being done by Invictus and this community at large.

What if we established a Marketing Bounty program to help drive marketing, awareness, and adoption? If we can reward bounties to people for writing blogs, podcasts, Facebook pages, or articles, then include small bounties for people to share or post to major social media platforms, we can spread the message far and wide. We will have to reach a consensus in the community of message that we want to put forth, that way we can have some sort of impact on the narrative.

This community has some brilliant concepts with extremely talented devs, but we haven't even scratched the surface of what is capable. People need to know that this community exists, and if we don't market the concepts we could all potentially lose out in the end.

Marketing an idea is more important than the idea itself in many ways. Everyone should know what you guys are doing here.

The problem we face is that almost no one understands what we are doing here.   Few really understand Ethereum either, but that is beside the point.    The feedback I am given is that despite my interviews, long conversations, etc no one seems to really understand it at a level that they can explain to others.

On this forum I would assume that 90% like what we are doing without even understanding it all in detail.  These are people with good intuition, but intuition is sometimes hard to explain.  There are perhaps 10% that can start to explain how and why it works.   

This is what Brian Page is working night and day to solve.

I would also submit that we already have more than enough publicity at this stage in development.  Now a month after we have BitShares XT launched successfully then will be the time to really pile on the marketing. 

Offline thazel72

• View Profile