Author Topic: [Pre-Worker Discussion] - Decentralized 2019 Sponsorship - Call to businesses  (Read 8906 times)

Offline bench

I don't know if it will or won't, it might since this is a big enough event and partnering up is very different than being one of many booths. I'm just not stating price action as a goal or a KPI.
This is the reason for 2018 and we already have https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=28374.0

Cheap never gets the job done. I'd love to see cheap efficient marketing workers but not holding my breath.....everyone keeps saying it but I don't see any being put forward.
This is not a reason to finance an overpriced centralized event. The main benefits are for the people, who are organizing this event.

You may not be aware of this but BitShares has a HORRIBLE reputation in the wider crypto world. So being taken seriously enough is a great thing.
This is the reason to spend more BTS on marketing/socialize and UI!

Mostly it served networking purposes (such as with cointelligence).
I am not totally against this, but it should be always in balance.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 03:14:58 pm by bench »
Be part of the change and vote for the bitshares-vision proxy!

Offline clockwork

• Committee member
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: clockwork
Our worker budget is tided to the BTS price, we can't exclude this.

What benefits got Bitshares from the 2018 conference?

As you mentioned the worker is not cheap and will have no direct impact on the Bitshares price.
But at this price level for BTS, we need a cheap worker with direct price impact!

I don't know if it will or won't, it might since this is a big enough event and partnering up is very different than being one of many booths. I'm just not stating price action as a goal or a KPI.

Cheap never gets the job done. I'd love to see cheap efficient marketing workers but not holding my breath.....everyone keeps saying it but I don't see any being put forward.

As far as benefits from the 2018 conference, one of the main ones is meeting the organizers and making a good enough impression that they green-lit a potential partnership this year.

You may not be aware of this but BitShares has a HORRIBLE reputation in the wider crypto world. So being taken seriously enough is a great thing.

Mostly it served networking purposes (such as with cointelligence).

Not sure what you were expecting?

Offline bench

Our worker budget is tided to the BTS price, we can't exclude this.

What benefits got Bitshares from the 2018 conference?

As you mentioned the worker is not cheap and will have no direct impact on the Bitshares price.
But at this price level for BTS, we need a cheap worker with direct price impact!

Offline clockwork

• Committee member
    • View Profile
Bitshares took part at Decentralized 2018. Since then, price went down hill.
I don't see any reason, why we should now spend more BTS in 2019.

We don't need another conference, we need a serious marketing worker!

I agree on the marketing worker. Hence why I mention it in the text above. I believe this conference would serve as a great launch platform for it.

The rest of your comment about the BTS price is totally irrelevant and imho if you were hoping/expecting that a simple conference appearance would influences the price, or that price action is the only metric of success of various workers , you'd be wrong.

Offline bench

Bitshares took part at Decentralized 2018. Since then, price went down hill.
I don't see any reason, why we should now spend more BTS in 2019.

We don't need another conference, we need a serious marketing worker!

Offline matle85

• View Profile
Great to see Alex.

I know the cost is high but I like the idea of us partnering as BitShares. I agree that bringing in some of the businesses built on BitShares would be good.

Pretty sure I can attend this year to help out.

Offline clockwork

• Committee member
    • View Profile
Hello to all members of the BTS community,

This thread is to discuss our potential appearance at this year's Decentralized conference (https://www.decentralized.com/).

For those of you that may not know, we took part last year as well via worker. More details here: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=27272.0

Decentralized is probably Europe's premier blockchain & crypto conference. Thousands of attendees and a great number of well- and lesser-known speakers and panelists.

For more information, I suggest you dive into their website to see last year's speakers and agenda as well as this year's one (still in the making).

The main reason I'm launching this thread instead of creating a new worker straight away is because I am unsure at the level of sponsorship the BTS community would like us to attain this year.

Last year, we went with a slightly re-negotiated "Platinum" sponsorship package that cost 15k Euros (~17.5k USD). The entire worker expenses came to a total of 26.7k USD.

This year, the sponsorship options are slightly different.

I can negotiate a package similar to last year's one but I have also discussed (and been given the green light by the organizers after their checks) the potential of BitShares becoming an event partner. So Decentralized 2019 by University of Nicosia and BitShares. That means full branding, mention and logos everywhere as well as within their own media/social media campaign (which was quite extensive last year).

We also get a Plenary Speaker, session speakers, organizing a sponsor-named panel of our choosing, the main and only double-booth at the booths section, adverts in the brochure, gift bag inclusion, a sponsor-named meeting room, video screen-savers as well as production of a sponsor-dedicated event video after the event + loads of other little promo goodies such as 50% off ticket price for people referred by us.

Overall, I think this is a great opportunity to make some media noise for BitShares in a very well known and established conference and really legitimize the BitShares brand. It would also help "kickstart" some proper BitShares marketing and serve as a good entry point and launch platform for anyone wanting to launch a bigger marketing worker.

The problem is that the cost of partnering is 100k Euros and includes passes and registrations for 25 people.

a) The cost is high (although imho the quality of the conference, the people involved, the press and media attention to be received  as well as the extent of BitShares branding and promotion is worth it)

b) I can't think of 25 people to include without including BitShares-based businesses/gateways etc.

To that extent I had a thought (already discussed with the organizers) of "theming" our presence and sponsorship there as "BitShares and Businesses" where part of our presence would be "core" BitShares but also invite 4-5 BitShares based businesses which would get speaker slots, space and branding in the double booth, space in our conference advert, mention in our promo video and 4-5 free registrations for a 5k-10k USD fee. Flights and accommodation for them would be paid by the worker

This would help collect the required funds fast for partnering while minimising the worker budget "hit".

So let this thread serve as an invitation to all BitShares based businesses to give their thoughts or express their interest in such an endeavor.

For all other BTS holders and proxies, the main question is what do you prefer from the options below:

a) Similar sponsorship level as last year (worker budget ~30k USD spread over several months)

b) Higher sponsorship level but not event partners (worker budget ~50k USD spead over several months)

c) Event partners with additional funding from BitShares-based businesses (40k USD) with worker budget 160k USD (over a month or so, so we can "seal" the deal and start benefitting from their media presence ASAP)

d) Event partners outright (worker budget 200k USD over a month or so.

Thanks for your input everyone. Will be happy to answer any questions you may have.