Author Topic: Vesting Balance Leaderboard  (Read 2370 times)

Offline JohnR

• Committee member
    • View Profile
We, as human beings, are unlikely going to create a utopian non-gameable system. We can at least make a system that is less bad.

Offline serdrdoor

• You must be the change you want to see in World
    • View Profile
    • AboutMe
  • BitShares: alex-pu
I don’t think it’s worth giving any advantages, especially those related to voting, the only thing is that it is possible to include this amount in the balance for voting, no more.
If it has an impact of more than 1 to 1 (in relation to the main balance) on voting, then there will be an abuse to write a script that will perform useless transactions and trash the network and return me some of the fees to vesting, given that it has more weight in voting than the main balance.

Offline Permie22

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Permie

Offline JohnR

• Committee member
    • View Profile
I am distressed by the recent division within the BitShares community. I am motivated to continue contributing and helping realizing the BitShares vision of granting financial autonomy to anyone with an internet connection. This is a good opportunity for everyone here to focus on what we have in common - the BTS core token and the network operations it enables.

Up to now, the network incentives reward large and sometimes aggressive collateral positions. Obviously this is one reason why BitShares of all cryptoassets is one of the most volatile as leveraging follows de-leveraging in cyclic patterns. I would like to see attention paid to another variable: vesting balances.

A high vesting balance, as opposed to a high collateral position, implies a high degree of interaction with the network. Whether that be offering liquidity in the form of limit orders or other creative transfer operations.

To shift attention towards this important metric I think it would be a good idea to establish a vesting balance leaderboard or other vanity display for accounts to compete for recognition as engaged users with the network. Maybe even down the line we can offer additional economic incentives for carrying high vesting balances (e.g. vote multiplier or any other ideas?).

For example one of our business accounts (https://cryptofresh.com/u/dao-street) carries a vesting balance of almost 600 BTS in addition to other assets that have market fee sharing enabled (bitCNY/USD and Gdex assets). Yet this pales in comparison to some of the more active accounts (https://cryptofresh.com/u/algo-main).

I believe that using the network operations and holding a high vesting balance should be a point of pride for stakeholders. I think we should encourage and recognize the behavior. Keeping open the potential in the future for even rewarding critical users.

Thanks for reading. In the depths of darkness we discover true character.

johnr